Reviews of Servant of Love

Find out all the latest about what Patty's up to, and where she can be seen and heard.

Moderator: gillian

Reviews of Servant of Love

Postby sfboy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:14 am

Servant of Love reviews. Here is one. I think she/he kind of likes it. :)

http://www.highroadtouring.com/artists/patty-griffin/

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Re: Reviews of Servant of Love

Postby Turk » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:21 pm

A good little pre-release review from Rolling Stone:

"Silver Bell kind of kicked my ass a little bit,” Patty Griffin tells Rolling Stone Country, referring to the 2013 LP she recorded in Daniel Lanois' New Orleans studio. On September 25th, the 51-year-old singer-songwriter moves forward with Servant of Love, an independent release that sets her keen lyrics amid stark instrumentation that demands — and earns — your full attention. "Gunpowder" is as explosive as its title suggests, but "Made of the Sun" is an account of a sunny winter day so lovely that it almost makes us want to skip fall altogether. Nick Murray

That's the whole blurb.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... m-20150904
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Make of this what you will:

In September, Patty Griffin will release her ninth studio album, Servant of Love. Chimesfreedom is a big fan of all of Griffin’s albums, so we are excited to be getting another CD from Griffin.

Not surprisingly, with an album title about “love,” some are reporting that the album is an accounting of Griffin reflecting on her break-up with Led Zepplin singer Robert Plant, who had worked with her on her 2013 album American Kid. The press release for the album, however, explains that on the album Griffin follows “the transcendentalism of writers like Emerson and Whitman.” Thus, the album is grounded “in the natural world” and finds “patterns there which speak both to human experience and to the call of the spirit.” Hmmm… sounds deeper than “screw-you-Robert-Plant.”

http://www.chimesfreedom.com/2015/09/03 ... t-of-love/
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:37 pm

I love this blogger's review:

A Minor Americana Masterpiece

I’ve got a couple of Patty Griffin’s earlier albums including American Kid which graced may influential end of year Top 10’s in 2013; but I’ve never heard anything that makes my friends go dewy eyed; as they are prone to do when discussing Ms. Griffin’s work.
It took me quite a few plays to get my head around this album; then one simple song unlocked the box of mysteries for me.
The first two songs totally confused me at first; as they are quite Jazzy in structure; with Patty Griffin taking the role of a tortured Chanteuse on the title track Servant of Love as a piano and trumpet accompany her.
This is followed by Gunpowder which sounds as if it was first sung in a Chicago Gin Palace in the Roaring 20’s. It wasn’t; and I was a little disappointed when these tracks weren’t followed by anything of a similar ilk.
Then the moment of revelation happened. It had been a particularly bad week, with bad news after bad news which must have left me feeling very vulnerable as I sat at traffic lights in the rain.
Even though I’d played this album ten or more times; when the chorus of Hurt a Little While filtered out of the speakers I felt tears well up in my eyes and I had to find a parking space to listen to the song in full.
The deep bass notes that resonate like heart beats alongside the stinging guitar licks didn’t help; but the way Patty summons up the words from the pit of her stomach before softly growling “One of these days/I’m gonna laugh again/one of these days/I will smile again,” then repeated it three times had me a quivering wreck.
Obviously not the happiest song you will ever hear; but one of the most personal and intimate, that’s for sure. Now I hear what the others heard, Patty Griffin is a Master-craftsman of a songwriter.
Another stand out track is Rider of Days, which couples a soft Irish melody with a timeless story a love lost.
The rest of the album flirts with other subjects just as deep and dark; with Everything’s Changed and You Never Asked Me being just as brittle and just as heart achingly brilliant in their own ways.
Perhaps my original reservations were because Patty Griffin flits between genres with the greatest of ease; from the Jazz tinged opening songs through the Alt-Country stompers There Isn’t One Way and Snake Charmer, via the singer-songwriter fayre I mentioned earlier and ending with a banjo littered and Bluegrass fueled Shine a Different Way.
In its own way Servant of Love has been, what the cool kids would call a ‘journey’ and what a journey it was for me; and I urge you to take it too.

https://rockingmagpie.wordpress.com/201 ... t-of-love/
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby saturdayboy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:35 pm

patty played "hurt a little while" when i saw her at a recent show with mavis, and it was definitely the standout of the new songs, although they were all strong.

btw - i am beside myself that this is coming out 9-11 in europe, but we have to wait until 9-25. why are you punishing us patty?
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:37 pm

5 stars out of 5.

.....Servant of Love is an album of recovery and strength rather than anger and despair. It is also about the search for meaning in ourselves and the world around us. Griffin’s singing and her timing are breathtaking; every word, every note matters as she slips naturally from folk to jazz, from blues to ballads.

The vibrant playing and producer Craig Ross’s imaginative settings are also key. Though some songs resist easy understanding, Servant of Love overall will go down as one of the most challenging and rewarding albums you’ll hear this year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music ... -1.2347280
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:44 pm

BTW I think I figured out why it's coming out in Europe first. Her tour stats there, so I guess she wants it out and available there when she's on tour. Though I guess that still doesn't explain why she didn't release it here at the same time. But we'll have it soon enough... :)

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:13 pm

sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:15 pm

sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:18 pm

http://www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2 ... a-and-pha/ (with a little of Everything's Changed)
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:29 pm

sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Rolling Stone didn't do its homework. The writer makes it sound like she recorded Silver Bell in 2013.

Sigh.
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Rolling Stone didn't do its homework. The writer makes it sound like she recorded Silver Bell in 2013.

Sigh.
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Redlucifer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:03 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/spectrum-cd-reviews-patty-griffin-micheline-van-hautem-andris-nelsons-20150929-gjwdxl.html

PATTY GRIFFIN
Servant of Love (Thirty Tigers/Cooking Vinyl)
★★★★★
This masterpiece incorporates Arabic tones, Mexican sounds, English folk and a deep well of country, all of which Patty Griffin adds to the familiar strong dose of the blues and soul. Servant of Love does all that without ever leaving the shape of what you might call pop music, because the songs are so polished and so accessible. Take a few minutes to listen to the John Martyn/Nick Drake-like Made of the Sun and it feels like an old companion; stay for Everything's Changed and you will have a song to keep close company for years to come; saddle up the tough There Isn't One Way for abrasions and take the title track or You Never Asked Me for tenderness. This album is definitely the "after" image of a happy relationship, but it is much more than that. These characters, only some of whom are connected in any obvious way to Patty Griffin and her ex-partner, Robert Plant, are searching for something that is both spiritual and very real.
Bernard Zuel
Redlucifer
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Return to Hot Off the Presses