"Tony the Tiger"

Find out all the latest about what Patty's up to, and where she can be seen and heard.

Moderator: gillian

"Tony the Tiger"

Postby Turk » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Patty Griffin previews new songs in surprise happy-hour gig at Continental

“Thank you for being our guinea pigs,” Patty Griffin said appreciatively to an early-evening crowd that came to hear her and guitarist David Pulkingham work through an album’s worth of new songs at the venerable Continental Club on Tuesday.

Griffin heads to Britain this weekend for a handful of overseas shows to promote her new album “Servant of Love,” which comes out Sept. 25. She plays a sold-out show Sept. 23 at the Paramount as part of the theater’s ongoing centennial celebration.

The Continental gig had been listed on the club’s calendar for a few days as “Tony the Tiger,” but its staff revealed in social-media posts late Wednesday afternoon that Griffin and Pulkingham were the performers. The $10 cover charge benefited the Health Alliance for Austin Musicians, a day after the organization’s major HAAM Benefit Day fundraiser.

The show began at 7 p.m. and ran until about 8:30, with Griffin focusing almost exclusively on tracks from “Servant of Love.” Midway through, she asked fans to refrain from posting videos, in an effort to keep the new songs under wraps until after the album is released. We’d posted a couple of 15-second clips to Instagram prior to that request.

One of them, the duo’s first song of the night, was a Spanish-language song that’s not on the new album. It was an intriguing choice, given that in an interview last week for an upcoming American-Statesman feature, Griffin brought up the notion of possibly doing a local residency at some point singing foreign-language songs.

”As I grow older, my dream is to play in town on a regular basis,” she said. “To have music be a regular part of my week, as opposed to just living here and having a gig feel like it’s another stop on the tour.”

I asked if something like a Continental Club residency would be feasible for an artist who can sell out the Paramount. “Not in English, it wouldn’t,” she admitted. “But if we did it in French or Spanish, I could do it. And I love singing in those languages.”

http://music.blog.austin360.com/2015/09 ... ntinental/
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Hot Off the Presses