Impressions of new album

Find out all the latest about what Patty's up to, and where she can be seen and heard.

Moderator: gillian

Impressions of new album

Postby saturdayboy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:09 am

i know it's early, but the album has been streaming for a few days now, what is everyone's impression?

i really like it. it's definitely a departure from her past stuff, but i think that's a good thing in this case. almost nina simone-like at times, which is the highest compliment i can pay. can't wait to hear more of the songs live.
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Re: Impressions of new album

Postby sfboy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:37 am

I really want to like this CD more than I do. I still like it (it's Patty, after all) but I find that a lot of it sounds very similar. And you don't get a major chord until 20 minutes or so into the CD. :) I feel like I know it's great music, but it's just not so much to my taste. In any case, I also think that this CD sounds really different from Patty's other work, and I like that she is trying new things, even if it's not so much to my personal liking.

1. An interesting opening track. It reminds me of how she opened Children Running Through. Actually, for me, that comparison (You'll Remember vs Servant of Love) kind of sums up this whole CD--less melodic, more experimental, less produced, rawer. I feel the intensity of the song, but I still don't love it. The piano playing, to me, sounds a little clunky.

2. Gunpowder is catchy, but still not very melodic. But it's growing on me. I think if less of the CD sounded like this, I would like this song more.

3. Good and Gone is in the same vein as Gunpowder. It reminds me of Cold as it Gets, but less melodic and less produced (am I being repetitive already ? :) )

4. Hurt a little While was awesome in concert. The CD version isn't as good but I really like the lyrics and vocals. It was just really strong live. And it has to be about Mr. Plant and Patty's recovery process, right? I think the sentiments are great for anyone who is going through a breakup. I think this could easily have been a track from Downtown Church.

5. 250,000 Miles is one of my favorites. The music and the lyrics are haunting. And now I know how far the moon is from the Earth. :)

6. Made of the Sun Finally a major chord. :) It's funny how for me, this song is like the first ray of sunshine on the CD. I wonder if that was purposeful. Anyway, I really like this song, especially right after the crescendo, when she sings ' if I had to choose one moment for forever, my friend I'd tell you, that would be the one". That line is already a new Patty classic for me.

7. Everything's Changed is one of my two least favorite on the CD. For me it's just very amorphous and I don't really get it.

8. Rider of Days is a nice song that could have also gone on American Kid. Very folky Patty though still, somehow, it feels less melodic than her usual songs.

9. There Isn't One Way sounds like Love Throws a Line to me. I'm usually not a big fan of Patty's bluesy stuff (Riding with the Amazons and Flaming Red being notable exceptions) and I'm guessing that this will be the most well known, radio played song from the CD.

10. Noble Ground is the other song on this CD that is just really blah for me. I'm just not much for the jazzy sound.

11. Snake Charmer is kind of snappy and I like that aspect of it. I also like how it just starts in with no intro. It kind of snaps you out of Noble Ground. A very interesting musical choice, Patty :)

12. You Never Asked Me (Robert :) ) If anyone likes Natalie Merchant here, you might get this reference. This song really really reminded me of I"m Not Gonna Beg. Patty's piano ballads are really interesting for me. They don't go where I expect them to go. The melodies are always a little different. I really like this one.

13. Shine a Different Way is far and away my favorite song on the CD. It's one of those heartbreakingly happy songs (meaning that it's happy but in a sad way, something that Patty is really really good at) that is already an anthem for me. And I'll always think of it as Mando song #2 :) (was mando song #1 Made of the Sun ? )

So, the songs I really love are 250,000 Miles, Made of the Sun, You Never Asked Me, and Shine a Different Way. I think the CD is great but I just happen to not like it as much as other Patty CDs.

Thanks for indulging in this long post, but where else could I post this? :) And sorry if you love the CD. I know sometimes it sucks to really like something and then have someone else say why they don't. And BTW, I loved American Kid but I've heard that it didn't get so much love here. We need to talk about that. :)

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby saturdayboy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:20 pm

kevin,

couldn't agree more about American Kid. i can kinda see where you are coming from with your thoughts on the new album, but i think patty is really breaking new ground.
keep listening to it, it continues to grow on you.
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:37 pm

I agree about breaking new ground. The more I listen, the more I discover. I tend to gravitate toward the more familiar Patty & Shine a Different Way was instantly my favorite. I need more time to digest.

I really like it though. 8)
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:35 am

I've only heard it twice so far, but I like it a LOT more than American Kid so far. I think it's the best Craig Ross production yet (never really liked what he did previously). Oddly, I'm not crazy about her singing as much on this album. Her emotional strength isn't really what this album is about for the most part, and that was always a high point for me, but the songs I think are MUCH stronger than she's written since Children Running Through and I think it's a really interesting record. Still digesting but I can say it seems already to be getting better on repeated listens.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Redlucifer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:18 pm

I really like the new album but it took a few listens to warm to it and I think the vocals aren't as good as in previous albums in a few places. I find myself skipping the second track (which is terrible, I know), but it sounds a bit too much like some of Patty's other songs. My absolute favourite is Hurt a Little While. I am still in the process of getting to know the album really well.

On another note, it is great to see Patty trying new styles. American Kid is my least favourite album so far, but still hoping that Patty has many more new songs and albums in her yet.
Redlucifer
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Good to see you, Redlucifer! Is it Jenn?
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Hot Off the Presses