August 2, 2005 - Roseburg, OR

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

August 2, 2005 - Roseburg, OR

Postby penguin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:31 am

[previously titled "I am dreading an upcoming Patty concert. Please help."]

No, there was no typo. I am dreading attending Patty's August 2nd performance in Roseburg, OR. Disgusting, yes, but true.

But what's also disgusting is that tonight, my first time at Music on the Half Shell, I walked out on Bruce Hornsby. Not because of Bruce, who I've seen three times now - he was great - but because of the IDIOTS in the crowd.

Free admission is a terrible, terrible thing.

6:45 PM - the people behind me
"Wait, so who's playing tonight?"
"Bruce... uh... Horns... ly."
"Who's that?"
"I dunno."
"I think I know the name."

7:05 PM - Bruce; the people behind me
"How are you doin' tonight, Roseburg?"
"...and my sister says 'yeah, that'll be fine' and I didn't know whether I was going to go..."

7:10 PM - Bruce; the people to my left
"That's just the way it iiiiiiis... some things will never change..."
"Hey Karen! Steve! Hi, nice seeing you! Why don't you sit down here where you will not face the stage for the ENTIRE FUCKING SHOW because you're a FUCKING IDIOT who goes to concerts just to TALK, you STUPID LOUDMOUTHED ASSHOLE?" (slighty paraphrased)

7:16 PM - Bruce; the people to my right
"This is the eeeeeeeend of the innocence..."
"No, Bobby, you can't play a spade on that card!"
"Oh! Wait, what?"
"Honey, bring the kids some sodas from the food thing. Just go right now even though this would normally be a completely inappropriate time to walk through the crowd. Take the kids."
"Come on, kids, let's all leave and step all over this guy in the Patty Griffin shirt. It's not like he's here to see the show or anything. Why not stand in his way for a few minutes?"
"Yay! We're brats!"

7:21 PM - Bruce; the people in front of me
"Theeeere's gonna be some changes maaade..."
"HAW HAW HAW HAW!!!!! Oh my god! You are just so funny! I just can't stop laughing! Wow! This is just so funny! HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAWAHWHAHHWHWHWHAHAHAHAHWHW! You know, we definitely couldn't have done this our backyard! HAW! HAW HAW. HAW."
"Woooooooo pass the beer! Let's push our cooler in to the Patty Griffith fan! Hey kids, why not step all over him during the songs!?"
"YAY STEPPING!"
*deee dooo dooo deeet deeet dooooo dee doo deeee deee doooooo deee dooo deeeeee deeee dooooo deeee deee doooo dooo deeeee... deee dooooo doooo deeeet deeet doooo*
"HELLO!? ... WHAT!? ... NO, I'M NOT BUSY, JUST AT A CONCERT!! YEAH!! YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND ME!??!?!? MAYBE IF I YELL JUST A LITTLE BIT LOUDER INTO MY CELL PHONE, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND ME!! GOD, I AM SUCH A FUCKING IDIOT!!"

Et cetera.

Tonight was the most miserable concert experience of my life. I have never EVER seen a crowd less interested in the music or more disrespectful to a performer. During the quieter songs, all I could hear was people talking. Loudly. Very loudly. These idiot locals waltz on down to the park for the concert to sit and talk to their friends just because it's free. I was disgusted.

So here's my problem: Patty plays there a week from today. I don't think I can NOT SEE PATTY when she's only an hour away from my house, but at the same time, I don't think I can stomach watching her pour her heart out during "Up or Down" while some guy with a "GIT R DONE" t-shirt and his back to the stage tears open a bag of Cheetos and tosses them in the air to get his kids to catch them with their mouths. I really don't think I can take it.

I need advice.
Last edited by penguin on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got walls, I've got wings, I am ready for the fire
I've got trust in nothing, see, I lost it by and by
but I've got something shining somewhere
honey, I dream on the sly --Chris Pureka
PattyChat | AntjeDuvekot.net | ChrisPureka.net | MattMorrow.net | Trades
penguin
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 am

My advice? Matt you just go to that concert and you show em what a real fan is. You go WAY up front and you pay attention to every bit and FUCK the rest of them. I woudn't let some stupid people ruin my Patty joy. So there.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:16 am

I agree with Marybeth.

I know what you are talking about, there is nothing worse. If someone talks over ANY part of the show, give them a pissed off look or tell them to shut up (that's what I do).

Just don't get your ass kicked or thrown out (I got into it with a security gaurd at a Ray LaMontagne show and he was about two seconds from booting me. But I calmed down and charmed the idiot.)

Just have a good time and if things get ugly, the way I see it is you are defending Patty's honor.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Ian » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:44 am

You have my sympathies Matt, I truly hate people the people you've described.
There's only one worse variant of this form of pond life and that's the one that starts off before the show with

"BLAHH BLAHH BLAHH ON MY PRE RELEASE COPY OF THE ALBUM BLAHH BLAHH GOT MY BACKSTAGE PASS BLAHH BLAHH I WAS A FAN OF *insert name* BEFORE HALF THESE PEOPLE LEFT SCHOOL BLAHH BLAHH WHEN I HAD DINNER WITH HER AGENT BLAHHHHH"

And then this jerk proceeds to show his/her apreciation of the artist by talking loudly all through the set....

(you've touched a raw nerve with this one Matt :evil: )

My favourite moment at a show was when a lesser known folk artist I was into, actualy stopped singing just into a number and invited the punter in the front of stage to finish her conversation without the interuption of his music (totaly embarassing for everyone but worth putting up with for the look on this bimbos face) :lol:
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby keith from ny » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:57 am

The General Admission clubs in NYC aren't much better than what you're describing, except there are no kids. The answer is to get there early so there's no one between you and the artist and you're surrounded by other motivated fans. If I can't get to a GA event early enough to be near the front of the line, I usually just don't go. Hanging out in back with the geese is just aggravating.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sandina » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:34 am

Great advice so far. I suppose Patty has performed enough of these free concert settings to understand the potential dynamics of the crowd....obviously she still wants to perform for her fans, which is YOU penguin. Don't miss this - get up front and have a kick ass time. :)
sandina
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Re: I am dreading an upcoming Patty concert. Please help.

Postby gillian » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:22 am

penguin wrote:I don't think I can stomach watching her pour her heart out during "Up or Down" while some guy with a "GIT R DONE" t-shirt and his back to the stage tears open a bag of Cheetos and tosses them in the air to get his kids to catch them with their mouths.

Well, Patty did mention at KoP how much she really loves Cheetos. :D

Sorry, I know that was no help.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby Arlene » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:27 am

The only thing worse than talking "fans" at a free show is talking "fans" at a show you PAID to see!

I think most of us have strong feelings about this subject. I don't believe in capital punishment EXCEPT for....
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Re: I am dreading an upcoming Patty concert. Please help.

Postby Little_Kites » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:35 am

penguin wrote:at the same time, I don't think I can stomach watching her pour her heart out during "Up or Down" while some guy with a "GIT R DONE" t-shirt and his back to the stage tears open a bag of Cheetos and tosses them in the air to get his kids to catch them with their mouths. I really don't think I can take it.

WOW thats bad! Is Roserburg, OR an outdoor show? Sometimes when you get outdoor shows you get people (as I'm sure your well aware) who are just out for an evening in the park with some backround music. Now obviously this doesn't mean act disrepectful to everyone around you but..you know some people are disrespectuful assholes. Maybe inside will be a bit different, MAYBE?

I would say go especially if she's playing so close to your house. I mean I can't imagine Patty playing so close to my house, I mean I wish she would but...Just go and show them what a good fan is.

Actually awhile back I was listening to this particular artist's bottleg and all these people were talking loudly and she litterally stopped and said something to the effect of Hey would you shut up the fuck up!, or something like that. bahahah! It was hilarious!
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Kris » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:17 am

I saw Martin Sexton in Duluth, MN about 4 years ago and it was so bad. It was a nice old theater, the tickets weren't super cheap, $25+, and there was a bar at the back of the theater. IN THE BACK, mind you, meaning go back there, order your drink and shut up. It was so bad, I'm sure you all have horror stories, and it was terrible. Martin got so pissed, he started making these comments at the crowd and ended up sitting on the edge of the stage, feet dangling, waiting for people to quiet down. It was terrible. I felt so bad for him and I was just pissed at everyone there.

I get pissed when people are there and don't even know who the person is and disrespects them, but I hate it more when the people go on and on about how much they like the musician then proceed to talk during the whole thing. And cell phones! People yelling into their cell phones pisses me off so much. It happens at the movies theater all the time.

"Hello? Nothing, watching a movie. What are you doing? Blah, blah, blah...". People suck.
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby altCountryGuy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:55 am

Hopefully, Patty will draw a better crowd. I can only echo what others have said, get there early and sit up front. Maybe there will be some rain to keep the less than diehard fans away. Bring a tarp. ;-)

Everybody needs a little forgiveness.

http://www.last.fm/user/altCountryGuy/
altCountryGuy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kabero_dad » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:58 am

Sorry you had a miserable experience, Penguin! I can sympathize. The Patty show at South Park was the first show I’ve seen at a free venue in a long time, and people never cease to amaze me. We did have a very enjoyable time, but here are a few of my personal favorite concert-goers from the show…

1) “I know I got here 5 minutes before the show, and some people have been here for hours, but me and my friends can walk to the very front row and squeeze in! These people are too polite to tell me to leave!”

2) “My seat’s not good enough – I’m going to walk right up to the front during the show, put my elbow on the stage, and stand there like I’m the only one here. And everyone at the show can look at ME!”

3) “Wouldn’t it be cool if I got up and walked back and forth in front of the stage? I think I will, several times! During the songs, too – it’s a free country!”

4) “That was a good show. I’m so happy now, I’m compelled to go way out of my way to walk down to the front of the crowd to say something nasty to the guy wearing the Mets hat here in Pittsburgh. So what if he and his wife drove 6 hours to get here, I’ll show him what kind of an idiot I am! There! Did it! I feel great now!”

At least we were way up front, where most people were fans and were quiet during the songs. Patty was great, the show was great, the weather was perfect… I should have just closed my eyes during the whole show, and I would have been perfectly happy! :)

Marty
kabero_dad
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby ScottG » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:09 pm

Maybe you and Patty could go PG Riffin on 'em?

I once saw Mike Ness of Social Distortion stop in the middle of a song to tell someone to knock it off. He yelled "Mike Ness is workin' up here. Shut the fuck up!" It was great.
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby flamingredgirl » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:09 am

People talk on phones during a film? wow! I was sat next to some people talking last time I went to the cinema and just hissed at them, they shut up for the rest of the film :)

I do a ghost tour on a boat and people pay a fair amount to be there. In the summer holidays we do two a night, which with a 9-5 job as well gets quite tiring. On thursday I had two parents bring on a two year old who proceeded to have two tantrums, run around and yell a lot. They ran to her everytime, totally disturbing my show. It's hard to remember lines and be good when you have to watch that a 2 year old doesn't fall off a boat. They didn't even apologise at the end.

Usually though, if people talk, I make a point of embarassing them in front of everyone else, generally it works. Sometimes it still doesn't which I find really insulting. It must be even worse to be singing your heart and soul out and have people act like idiots, I couldn't do it. Even if I don't like a support act, I'll stay and be polite, especially if I'm on the front row.
flamingredgirl
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Mermaid » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:55 am

kabero_dad wrote:Sorry you had a miserable experience, Penguin! I can sympathize. The Patty show at South Park was the first show I’ve seen at a free venue in a long time, and people never cease to amaze me. We did have a very enjoyable time, but here are a few of my personal favorite concert-goers from the show…

1) “I know I got here 5 minutes before the show, and some people have been here for hours, but me and my friends can walk to the very front row and squeeze in! These people are too polite to tell me to leave!”

2) “My seat’s not good enough – I’m going to walk right up to the front during the show, put my elbow on the stage, and stand there like I’m the only one here. And everyone at the show can look at ME!”

3) “Wouldn’t it be cool if I got up and walked back and forth in front of the stage? I think I will, several times! During the songs, too – it’s a free country!”

4) “That was a good show. I’m so happy now, I’m compelled to go way out of my way to walk down to the front of the crowd to say something nasty to the guy wearing the Mets hat here in Pittsburgh. So what if he and his wife drove 6 hours to get here, I’ll show him what kind of an idiot I am! There! Did it! I feel great now!”

At least we were way up front, where most people were fans and were quiet during the songs. Patty was great, the show was great, the weather was perfect… I should have just closed my eyes during the whole show, and I would have been perfectly happy! :)

Marty

I totally agree with you about this show!!! What was up with that chic who stood at the stage alone??? I would have to think that made Patty a little uncomfortable. For those of you who weren't there, there was a wide walkway in front of the stage where no one sat (until later in the show). Sorry, I hope this fan isn't reading this...

I also found the Camera Phone Picture Fan distracting. She ran up to the front of the stage every minute or so and snapped a pic with her camera phone and then ran back to her seat. She proceeded to do this for like the first 4 or 5 songs. There were a lot of people taking pics (including me), but this was a bit obnox.

An older woman parked her lawn chair right in front of us like 10 min before the show. We had been there for about 2.5 hours before the show...we wanted to SCREAM!! She was clearly just there for the free show.

Why do people think this is okay?!
that summer fields grow high
we made garland crowns in hiding
pulled stems of flowers from my hair
blue in the stream like none I have seen
apart from dreams that escape me
Mermaid
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Next

Return to Shows & Meetups