NYC- 5/5 at Housing Works Cafe/Bookstore

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

NYC- 5/5 at Housing Works Cafe/Bookstore

Postby Arlene » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:13 am

Ok. Who's coming? Rob and Keith and....

The show is at 7:30. Anyone up for pre or post performance marguaritas and/or food at the best Mexican restaurant in NYC, Mexican Radio at 19 Cleveland Place? (I hear Rachel guffawing but really-- it's great.) See http://www.mexrad.com/about_us.html
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:43 pm

I can't get into town much earlier than 6:30, but I'm definitely up for late dinner and drinks. I imagine the show will be over before 9:00.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:46 am

I'm not sure of my schedule either for that night so let's play it by ear. But after the show could work for me.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Tue May 02, 2006 5:28 pm

FYI. The opener for Patty's show at Housing Works Book Cafe (which is sold out) will be Peter Salett. (I've never heard of him.)

I see on pattygriffin.net that Housing Works, an HIV/AIDs charity, is auctioning off

-2 Front Row seats to the sold out 5/5/06 NYC show
-a brand new first act guitar autographed by Patty Griffin
-a signed copy of her new CD
-a chance to go backstage and meet Patty, and have your picture taken with her

To bid, see http://www.housingworksauctions.com/lot.cfm?lotID=7719
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby PattyChick13 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:04 pm

Love the pic of Patty on that site. I've never seen it before.
PattyChick13
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Rob » Fri May 05, 2006 11:30 pm

Wow. Truly an amazing show.

As most folks know, it was in a bookstore. Bookstores, especially this one, are not particularly suited to concerts. There was no reserved seating and they only had about 20 seats with either standing room or the hardwood floor for the rest. Our little crowd, consisting of myself, Arlene, Keith, Arlene's friend Antoinette, my brother and my friend Sayrah were fairly close to the front of the line but we did not get seats. So we grabbed some real estate on the floor right in front of Patty. It was uncomfortable at times during the opening act but once Patty hit the stage, it didn't really matter because Patty made it not matter. (And it was all for a really good cause, anyway. A little discomfort is nothing put in that perspective)

Arlene has the setlist so I guess she'll post it in the morning but she opened with Forgiveness, closed with Racing in the Street and the encore was Tomorrow Night.

Patty and Doug were hooked up through a pretty basic PA system and it was really neat to hear them play with that (in fact, the sound was much better than at the Canal Room on Thursday). It was kinda like old school and it really worked. Patty's voice sounded absolutely great.

I'm a bit tired as it's late here, but I'll look forward to hearing Arlene and Keith's thoughts tomorrow.

All in all, a really special show. I count myself very lucky to have seen it.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby keith from ny » Fri May 05, 2006 11:41 pm

Tomorrow my ass! Much of this is redundant with Rob's post, but I'm too tired to rewrite it.

Wow, what a great show! 150 or so people jammed into the little Housing Works bookstore, which offered only 20 seats. Rob, Rob's brother & friend, Arlene, Arlene's friend Antoinette (her first Patty show) and I just plunked ourselves on the floor near center stage and got a wonderful "up close and personal" view of Patty and Doug letting their hair down. They opened with a beautiful performance of Forgiveness :D (about the last thing I expected to hear), followed by Useless Desires. The first new song they played was the righteous I Said to the Sky, which has sounded better each time I've heard it -- they both look very comfortable with it at this point. Doug fired up a deliciously dirty blues riff, Patty immediately started wiggling in a shockingly lacivious manner, and then "Howlin' Dog" Griffin stepped up to the mic and just let it wail.

I cry in the night
I weep in the rain
I cry to my mother
Long long gone away
Let me lie in your arms
For one hour today
Let me lie in your arms
In your arms let me lay

We all pretty much went nuts for that one, and then they launched right into an incredibly funky rendition of Stay On The Ride. Patty was up there picking, dancing, smiling, and singing the left strap of her dress right off! Doug played his ass off all night and was rewarded with applause after several of his solos. They were clearly both having a good time and Patty was glad to be performing for fans again after two nights playing for the beautiful people at the Tribeca Film Festival (where she said she got to meet Robert DeNiro).

Burgundy Shoes was the piano song for the evening, and there was a very spirited rendition of No Bad News with the two of them totally rockin-and-rollin' on their guitars between verses. They closed with Racing In the Streets, and came back to play Tomorrow Night for the encore. Arlene will be posting the complete set list soon. Antoinette appeared to be in a state of shock after the show. I just love that expression the first time people see Patty live. :D

Here are a few pics:

PattyNet's archivist Jim Murphy was also in attendance after battling the Friday afternoon traffic from Philly and greeted us all warmly.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sat May 06, 2006 9:17 am

Rob & Keith,
thanks for the reviews!!!
I REALLY love those pics!!!
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sun May 07, 2006 11:52 am

Sorry. I was off-line yesterday. Here's the full set list:

01. Foregiveness
02. Useless Desires
03. I Said To The Sky
04. Staying On The Ride
05. Trapeze
06. Burgandy Shoes (piano)
07. Love Throw A Line
08. It Don't Come Easy
09. Free
10. No Bad News
11. Racing In The Streets
12. Tomorrow Night

Patty and Doug seemed to be having a really good time. I'd never sat so close to her before. I know that at last year's Albany show we had second row seats but there, the stage was much bigger. Here, my friend Antoinette and I were literally sitting 10 to 15 feet right smack in front of her while Rob and Keith were about 5 to 7 feet in front of her. It was great to be able to see her facial expressions, expecially on I Said To The Sky and No Bad News.

You know how Patty sometimes introduces Burgandy Shoes by saying that a friend had challenged her to write a "happy" song? This was the first time I'd heard her mention that the friend in question was Craig Ross. She then commented something to the effect of "And if you know his music-- he of all people challenging me to write a happy song!"

She also told about the night before when she was warming up for the show at The Canal Room. Apparently, she was playing acoustic guitar and she had "made" her friend Traci, play the bass. They were facing the wall and someone asked her if she'd like to meet "Bobby." She then realized that "Bobby" was Robert DeNiro, the host of the Tribeca Film Festival. She started to say "no, I don't need to meet Bobby" but then over her shoulder saw that he was standing right behind her. In her own words: "Good one, Patty."

This was the first time Antoinette had ever seen Patty perform live and needless to say, she LOVED it. The only problem is that she may not be speaking to me because I failed to ask her if she wanted to join our road trip last month to Albany and Westport. I now have strict instructions that I am "not allowed" to order tickets to see a Patty show anywhere in the continental United States without consulting her first. Her only disappointment was that Patty didn't perform Peaceful Valley.

It was a GREAT evening. I just wish it had lasted even longer.
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby libraryliz » Sun May 07, 2006 12:14 pm

I'm so happy you all had such a great time.
What a great setlist!
libraryliz
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Mon May 08, 2006 9:46 am

Oh. And we may have buried the lead-- we knew it was going to happen soon but on Friday night Patty mentioned that she's going in to the studio "in a little over a week" to start work on the new CD.

(Hehehe)
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Mon May 08, 2006 6:26 pm

You East Coast people are soooooooo lucky! Hi y'all. Kevin here. I just wanted to let you know how unbearably envious I am. Wow, what a set list. I hope you all had a wonderful, wonderful time. And thanks for the reviews and pics. Love livin' vicariously.

I hope you're all having a great week. Not that it's anywhere near as exciting as this Patty show, but I did get fairly decent seats for Bruce today.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Nicoleee » Mon May 08, 2006 6:39 pm

sfboy wrote: Not that it's anywhere near as exciting as this Patty show, but I did get fairly decent seats for Bruce today.

Kevin

Nice!
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Tue May 09, 2006 8:44 am

Arlene wrote:Oh. And we may have buried the lead-- we knew it was going to happen soon but on Friday night Patty mentioned that she's going in to the studio "in a little over a week" to start work on the new CD.

(Hehehe)

ooh thinking like a journalist, Arlene! Woot for that info!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Wed May 10, 2006 8:47 am

Arlene is correct. We did bury the lead. Only it's not that Patty is going into the studio.

It's that Patty told us that her first concert was a Foghat show. At some point my brother yelled out for Patty to play some Foghat but she said she couldn't remember any songs. A conversation ensued about Foghat and Slow Ride was offered up as a song suggestion. Needless to say, it did not make the set list.

So yesterday I was driving up to Albany, listening to last year's Orpheum show, and Patty was bantering with some of the fans in the audience. I instantly remembered the Foghat thing and had a good chuckle picturing Patty (or any of us) rockin out at a Foghat show. As I got close to Albany, the CD was over so I switched over to Albany radio. Now Albany has a station that is totally lost in classic rock. It's almost all Foreigner and Eddie Money all the time.

So they're finishing up an ad and what do they go into? Foghat :lol:. Slow Ride and Fool for the City. One of those weird Patty moments... :lol:

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Return to Shows & Meetups