My Take On The Fort Worth Show

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

My Take On The Fort Worth Show

Postby Rated-PG » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:56 am

Well last nights show capped off a year of seeing Patty perform every four months. I was pleased to see her in such good spirits and looking
beautiful as well. Considering this was her last show, before a much needed break. She appeared in a skimpy (real skimpy) brown dress, red stockings and high heels. Now mind you, this show was free to the public,
a nice surprise for the hundreds I've spent in the last year. It was priceless to me. Patty has never performed in Fort Worth before, so all of us within six feet of her tried to make her feel as welcome as we could.
Yes, she was standing only six feet away! Can you imagine? So close
that on several songs we actually made eye contact and sang along together. The crowd was great. She said she knew that this was a festival
and understood it ended on Sunday. I shouted out that she was invited
and got a smile out of her. OK....now I know I'm in heaven. I think it surprised her a little by the way the crowd was responding so well.
Just her and Doug Lancio. Doug kicked ass. I wish I could tell you the exact set list but being so interactive with her exceeds all else.
She made everyone aware that yesterday was Earth Day and sang "Mary." Her encore was "Nobody's Cryin" The usual set list with a couple of songs I wasn't familiar with. Sadly a fly flew in her mouth during
the ending of a song. She was fine,made reference that it happens from time to time at outdoor gigs. No word yet on the fly. As soon as they left the stage I made my way to her tour bus, I was sure I got there first.
While we were waiting to praise her, Doug stepped out of the bus and I told him that he rocked and he patted me on my shoulder. So at that point
we knew Patty was in there. Two girls showed up with killer prints of Patty
in action. We heard that she wasn't signing or mingling due to wanting to get home. Some how the two prints and a ball cap from me made there way into the bus. They came out with Patty's signature on the prints and
"Peace...and my love Patty Griffin" on the bill of the hat for me. For reasons known only to Patty and me she gave an extra special message on my hat and I will forever be grateful and amazed and taken with the awe
that is Patty. Special thanks to her for her kind words. A great show.
A great performance. A great and beautiful woman.
" It was the stomping thing......"
PG
Rated-PG
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Nicoleee » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:27 am

sounds dreamy, pg.

thanks for sharing. did you take pics? sounds like she had a cool outfit on.
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby scottz » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:35 pm

There's a stunning photo from the Ft. Worth show in the In Concert forum/Ft Worth show thread, at the TDtT site. http://www.pattygriffin.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1132154778
Scroll down to reply #14 for the photo by Jeremiah Strauss. :D
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby girlgoddess » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:25 pm

it also says on pg.net that she played 'dear old friend'... maybe i zoned out for that part of the show but i don't recall that song... *shrug*

some songs i do remember tho:

i said to the sky
staying on the ride
no bad news
free
peaceful valley
long ride home
nobody's crying
mary
moon river
burgundy shoes
love throw a line
kite song
useless desires
when it don't come easy
let him fly
truth #2

maybe she played another brand new song but i don't remember... and she could've played more than this but i didn't write anything down.

it was great to meet Roy from Portland and his hunny Donna! Yay! See you guys in August.

I took mom and my youngest sister to the show with me- they loved it! my little sister grabbed my hand after dancing throughout the show and was all "RACH! we have to go meet her!" So cute. I told her we would "try" but really I was ready to head home. As we were pretending to try, I saw who I believe was Kelly Clarkson climb on Patty's bus. I laughed and I could also be very wrong.

Anyhow, it was a great night and i totally dig the new songs!

.r.
if you have poo, fling it now.
girlgoddess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RedEarth » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:36 pm

Dammit Rach! I didn't know you were there! I sure would have liked to meet you. I'm heading to bed, but will post more later.

Jessica
Last edited by RedEarth on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedEarth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:30 am

Great review Jessica! Thanks for sharing, sounds wonderful.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Mis » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:14 am

I received a lovely concert call from Ms. R. that included:

I Said To The Sky
Free
No Bad News

So we now know for certain that all of these songs are in open G tuning. LOL Patty sounded great and it was nice to be there in spirit for a few minutes! Thanks Rach! :D
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby RedEarth » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:23 am

Thanks for posting the songs you remembered, Rach. I had to really rush to get there (arrived just as they were announcing and bringing her onstage whew!) and had my two littlest kids with me, so I didn't write the setlist down at the time. I did try to remember the first letter of each song, and wrote them all down once I got home, so here's the setlist I came up with combining your info with mine:

Moon Song
I Said to the Sky
Free
No Bad News
When it Don't Come Easy
Burgundy Shoes
Love Throw a Line
Long Ride Home
Useless Desires
Peaceful Valley
Staying on the Ride
Truth #2
Mary
Nobody's Crying
Kite Song
Let Him Fly
Getting Ready

I'm a little unsure of the order on a few of the songs. I got a little sidetracked when my husband surprised me by finding this for me:

Crawfish! My favorite!

I'm afraid that since I had my little ones with me, I didn't get up close, so all my pics of Patty are from such a distance that they're not worth posting. Patty really looked hot, I think the dress worked well with her fiery hair. I love the way she grooves, even when she's got that big ol' guitar in front of her, and when she sings without it, wow! Her whole body works to convey the emotion of her songs, don't you think?

For a free festival crowd, it did seem that she had a fair amount of dedicated fans there. That was nice. I was thrilled to finally hear a lot of new songs I'd never heard before. I Said to the Sky was definitely my favorite, so much bluesy feeling to it.

Rachel, I didn't hear "Dear old Friend" either, not sure why someone said she played it.
RedEarth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby gillian » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:20 am

Maybe someone thought Burgundy Shoes was My Dear Old Friend. :?:
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby RT » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:23 pm

Someone must have been misinformed... Patty did not play My Dear Old Friend. Yes, that was Ms. Clarkson. She is very nice and a big fan of Patty's.
RT
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby LimeTwister » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:04 pm

Crawfish and Patty?

Bliss.
I guess I'm taking my chances
Giving up the ring, throwing in the gloves
I guess I'm taking my chances
Trading in my things For a couple wings on a little white dove
And one big love, one big love
LimeTwister
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby PattyChick13 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:08 pm

Thanks for the reviews! Love the photo from TDtT.

RT wrote:Someone must have been misinformed... Patty did not play My Dear Old Friend. Yes, that was Ms. Clarkson. She is very nice and a big fan of Patty's.

Did you get to meet them? Patty AND Kelly Clarkson? I would have been in Heaven! (Even though I'm not a huge fan of Kelly, I love some of her songs and she seems genuinely nice.)
PattyChick13
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Roy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:51 pm

I Just got back from Fort Worth. It was great seeing Patty since it will probably be my only chance this year :( (Yes sweetie, it was even greater seeing you ;)) I loved hearing the new songs everyone was talking about and it was wonderful meeting Rachel, her sister, and Mom. Looking forward to having a more extended converstation with you at PattyFest '06!

Roy
War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter - 2002 Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech
Roy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Return to Shows & Meetups