Atlanta, Aug 18th, with John Prine

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Atlanta, Aug 18th, with John Prine

Postby gillian » Thu May 04, 2006 8:27 am

This show is listed on Ticketmaster now.

Aug 18, 2006 - 8:00 pm
Chastain Park Amphitheatre
Atlanta, GA

Tickets on sale May 20 at 12 PM through Ticketmaster
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby sfboy » Thu May 04, 2006 9:12 am

No disrespect intended to JP, but Patty is OPENING for John Prine??????????? Can that be? Maybe I misread the little info on the website, but it looks like J Prine is the headliner. Wow.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Thu May 04, 2006 9:42 am

I don't think that's very surprising...John Prine is a fixture of country music, an old-school songwriter (he penned "Angel from Montgomery," among others). He's been around forever. It's kinda like her opening for Willie Nelson.

~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Thu May 04, 2006 10:38 am

I've seen John Prine in concert 3 times, including a 2-hour show at Town Hall last year which sold out in a matter of hours. He's one of the few songwriters I would put in the same class as Patty, and he's quite a story-teller besides.

It should be a great evening, I only wish I could be there.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Thu May 04, 2006 11:46 am

I saw him last Thursday at Merlefest-- he was the opening night headliner and the place was packed for his set. He's a great live performer, and of course, a terrific songwriter.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Thu May 04, 2006 1:31 pm

I hope I didn't step on any toes. I've seen John Prine, too, and I like him. And yes, he's a great songwriter (Angel from Montgomery, Speed of the Sound of Lonliness). All I meant was that I didn't realize he was as popular as, or more popular than, Patty. If he is really as well known as Elise says (on a par w/ Willie Nelson), then my big ol' bad. Again, sorry all.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby rhea » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:41 pm

Anyone interested in two tickets to this show?

Email me, if so, at crheadavis@yahoo.com

Terrace Row X Seats 34 and 35.

Selling them for exactly what we paid.
Thanks.
May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to make you happy.
rhea
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby rhea » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:57 am

We're willing to sell the pair of tickets for Friday night's ATL/Chastain show at below cost now, if anyone is interested!
Thanks!

Crheadavis@yahoo.com
May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to make you happy.
rhea
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Turk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:05 pm

I did not plan on seeing this show because I thought I would be attending PattyFest and still reeling from the great time I would have had with the ones who actually did attend. Alas, that did not come to pass.

As it turned out, I have 2 brothers, one younger, one older and they managed to get me out of hermitsville, bad back be damned, for a night at Chastain Park with our beloved Patty and John Prine -- an early birthday present for myself, officially. Before we left the house, my brother Dave put on the video of "Love Throw a Line" and I started getting excited. Not too excited but excited nevertheless.

Chastain Park and I do not have a great past history. In my mind, the majority of the patrons who attend these musical events are very wealthy yuppie types (is that still a word?) and people who gather for the sake of gathering without much regard to who's actually performing, drink heavily and carry on volumous conversations and showing little respect for those of us who specifically attend for the music. Not to mention the enormous amount of money charged to get in the gate.

As a rule with most concerts, and as we all know, the opening acts must endure the shuffling of people arriving, finding their seats and greeting the ones they're in attendance with. At the foot of the stage at CP are tables and chairs reserved for the high-dollar platinum fucks who always manage to arrive during the opening act's set. Many openers have been known to stop their songs halfway through to allow the settling in to cease so that they may continue. Jackson Browne and James Taylor come to mind.

Knowing that Patty was opening for Prine, I reached into the depth of my reluctance and mustered enough enthusiasm to go and not be a total shit and try to be respectful of my brothers who were excited to be seeing Patty (my older brother Jim for his first time). Plus, they are both Prine fans. I like many of his songs but never was THAT crazy about him.

Luckily, we had individually sold center seats about midway inside the amphitheater, away from the yuppie/loud/table fucks - AND which on a good night can be quite beautiful with the layout design and zillions of candles glowing throughout the place. This was one of the better nights. Ambience was there.

Still in daylight and no dramatic lights to signify showtime, Patty and Doug came out with no announcement. I was pleased to hear a smattering of applause and woops. I noticed that Patty was wearing a simple black sleeveless blouse, almost tanktopish and a beige skirt that fell just below her knees. I could not see her feet accept in a flash of her exiting, I saw that her shoes were black and reminded me of clogs. ( Sorry for no better detail, T_Y) . Patty was beautiful and not nearly as skinny as some recent pics that I've seen so I'm not as concerned and mother henny about that issue anymore. Patty's flaming red hair was gorgeous and on the big projection screens, her hair was the most flamingest red I'd ever seen.

It was a disappointingly short set, but I quickly checked my attitude and tried to remind myself that this would indeed be the case. But still.....

-Moon River
Andy Williams who?

-I Said to the Sky
My first chill bumps of the evening.

-Love Throw a Line

-Stay on the Ride
Patty dedicated this song to "a very dear friend in Austin who was in a terrible accident last night and is in intensive care."

-When It Don't Come Easy
When I saw the Mellissa Etheridge post-cancer video with Patty performing this song, I wept. Hearing Patty singing it live on this night, there was no containing myself.

-No Bad News
This is such a great song. This was the second time I'd heard it. The first version is Elise's on the tribute thread. I'm still trying to decide whose version I like best.

-Mad Mission
You can't hear this song and not smile.

-Be Careful
I sang a way too loud harmony to every word.

Encore:
-Let Him Fly
Patty was only getting warmed up at this point and absolutely blew all the Prine fans away. She was given the heartfelt show of attention that she so deserved.

I knew there would be no additional encore because CPark is so anal about keeping things on a strict stupid schedule. They have an 11pm curfew and soundmen must keep the db levels down because of all the sensitive little upper echelon foo-foo residential twits who live nearby.
Sorry to sound so judgemental and bitter but I'm definately NOT of that class. So, fuck 'em.

----------------------------->

We also enjoyed the John Prine show. About 5 songs into his set, he said, "I am so pleased to be playing here tonight with the wonderful Patty Griffin. I don't know about you but I didn't get to hear her sing long enough. Let's get her back out here."

The applause was delightfully deafening.

I'm not familiar with the first Prine song on which she sang with him and I'm still trying to locate info about it. Their voices did blend well.

The second song was the real treat of the night. "In Spite of Ourselves" was recorded for John's album with Iris DeMent singing the female part. John said that Patty asked him if she could duet with him on the song. It was just too good and much fun. It was Patty in her most countryfied/high little girl voice.
Patty sang the lyrics in bold.

She don't like her eggs all runny
She thinks crossin' her legs is funny
She looks down her nose at money
She gets it on like the Easter Bunny
She's my baby I'm her honey
I'm never gonna let her go

He ain't got laid in a month of Sundays
I caught him once and he was sniffin' my undies
He ain't too sharp but he gets things done
Drinks his beer like it's oxygen
He's my baby
And I'm his honey
Never gonna let him go

(Both)
In spite of ourselves
We'll end up a'sittin' on a rainbow
Against all odds
Honey, we're the big door prize
We're gonna spite our noses
Right off of our faces
There won't be nothin' but big old hearts
Dancin' in our eyes.

She thinks all my jokes are corny
Convict movies make her horny
She likes ketchup on her scrambled eggs
Swears like a sailor when shaves her legs
She takes a lickin'
And keeps on tickin'
I'm never gonna let her go.

He's got more balls than a big brass monkey
He's a wacked out werido and a lovebug junkie
Sly as a fox and crazy as a loon
Payday comes and he's howlin' at the moon
He's my baby I don't mean maybe
Never gonna let him go

In spite of ourselves
We'll end up a'sittin' on a rainbow
Against all odds
Honey, we're the big door prize
We're gonna spite our noses
Right off of our faces
Dancin' in our eyes.
Dancin' in our eyes.

In Spite of Ourselves

To hear Patty utter the words "Got more balls than a big brass monkey" makes me want to be her bitch more than ever.
Last edited by Turk on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:05 pm

Thanks Turk!! Hopefully, someone ELSE will be able to fill in the foot/shoe details. :wink:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kelsea » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:07 pm

Thanks for the recount Turk. Glad you got to go to the show and had a good time. I would die to hear Patty sing the lyrics 'He ain't got laid in a month of Sundays, I caught him once and he was sniffin' my undies' and 'He's got more balls than a big brass monkey'.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Little_Kites » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:57 am

Thanks for the review Turk! Good vibes to Patty's friend in intensive care!
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:23 am

Turk, thanks for that superb review! Next best thing to being there. :)
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Shows & Meetups