Boulder Show, tomorrow...

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Boulder Show, tomorrow...

Postby klovesmusic » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:14 pm

Hey all!

It's been close to a year since my last post -- I hope you all are doing well! Just wanted to drop a quick "head's up" -- I'll be at the Boulder, CO, show tomorrow (7/21/06). Any other takers?

Folk on,

Krista
klovesmusic
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Kelsea » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:29 pm

I'll be there also, pretty early because I need to pick up my tickets. Should be amazing!
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby KarenL » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:20 pm

Have a great time, Kelsea and Krista! Hope you tell us all about it :)
KarenL
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Kelsea » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:56 am

Wow what an absolutely amazing show, I had a blast. Ok so here is the set list

1. Forgiveness
2. I Said To The Sky
3. Love Throw A Line
4. Free
5. No Bad News
6. Burgundy Shoes
7. Making Pies
8. Useless Desires-ish
9. Staying On The Ride (thought of you Karen)
10. Be Careful
11. Linda Ronstadt cover
12. Moon Song
13. When It Don’t Come Easy
14. Long Ride Home
15. Peaceful Valley (yes I’m still calling it that)
16. Tomorrow Night
17. Moon River
18. Encore: Moses
19. Encore: Up Or Down
20. Encore: Let Him Fly

This is completely inarticulate review as I feel still in shock/ awe right now. I had a super awesome seat (row 2) although I don’t think there was a bad one in the house. Anyways the standout songs for me were Free, Let Him Fly Said To The Sky, Linda Ronstadt Cover, Moses and Forgiveness. ISTTS was amazing; I hope this makes the album. The Linda Ronstadt cover was one of my faves during the show, her voice sounded so great and I've never heard it like that. The song may be titled You Don’t Matter Anymore, that was one of the lines as well as “There’s no use in me crying, I’ve done everything and I’m sick of trying”. I’m too tired to look up anything on it at the moment. Let Him Fly had been requested several times over the night as well as Cain, Every Little Bit and Tony. I think she was a little overwhelmed with the heavy requests but she dealt fine. By far this was one of the best versions I’ve heard of Let Him Fly, she absolutely let loose and the result was fantastic (I’m running out of description words). There were a couple times where she lost the words, hit a wrong cord/ key and the sound got iffy (but that wasn’t her fault and it happens) but this is her first show in a while and I wasn’t bothered any, if anything it was kinda cute. On Useless Desires she started and stopped 2 times because she didn’t think it was the right key and then a 3rd time when she forgot the lyrics. It started out so well and is one of my faves. Doug’s response to the 3rd mishap was “You’re done Patty”. Patty looked a little overwhelmed and said “this is most embarrassing thing ever.” She tried to go over the lyrics on stage “the weekend edition… but couldn’t remember and the audience filled in “has this town way overrated”. Patty said she really couldn’t make up excuses and played a different song. After a few more tuning incidents she said something to the gist of “I gotta get this right so the tuning Gods won’t strike me dead. I’m pretty close though.” She mentioned the humidity in Austin and how nice it was to be in Colorado with the nice weather. While she was getting a sip of water she said, “it’s so humid in Austin when you go out all you have to do is breath in and you’re drinking a glass of water.” Patty said she has been locked up in the studio working on the album, which is so far on track and set to be released in Winter. She introduced ‘Peaceful Valley’ as ‘I Went Up To The Mountain’. She did a good version but I am now in love with the Fort Worth, Texas version. As for what she was wearing, let me say Patty looked stunning. She looked healthy and tad more tan. Patty wore a tight golden/ tan colored dress that cut off at the knees and had a golden (couldn’t exactly tell cause of lights) belt with a slit in the back. Her shoes wore brand new and “threw her off”, they were reddish/ orange strappy heels and looked great on her, with the shoes she had on red fishnet type stockings. Her hair was put back in a clip except her bangs on the rights side. Obviously I know fashion and how to describe things well :roll: but I tried. I wish I could have gotten some pics buy I only got before and after the show. The venue itself was great, very small with good sound and my seat was literally 1 yard and ½ away from the stage. I wished there had been some merchandise (my friend sat on and broke my Impossible Dream cd) the stage guys wouldn’t let anyone have Patty’s set list and the posters in the windows I wasn’t able to get tonight. I’m going to try and go back tomorrow to see if I can get my hands on one. The audience was well behaved most of the time, super excited to be there and it was sold out which always helps the atmosphere. Hopefully she’ll be back more often now that she knows the size of her fan base in Colorado. Either way as my first Patty concert in an indoor venue it certainly turned out to be more than I expected. I can’t wait to hear some of the ‘new’ new material like Heavenly Day, Railroad Wings, Time Turned Us Down etc. just from ISTTS I can tell they’ll be good. I tried to get a review out while it's all sort of fresh in my mind. Now I need to find a way to get my ass to Santa Fe to see her in September.

Kelsea
Last edited by Kelsea on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Nicoleee » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:51 am

Aw Kelsea!

I think you did a great job with this review . . . lots of little details, and a laughed a few times while reading!

Thanks babe. And if you do get to Santa Fe I'm going to be INSANELY jealous! :P

Wooooo for that setlist. I yearn for Stay On the Ride!

Nic
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby KarenL » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:44 am

Great review, Kelsea! Nice detail - I am living vicariously through your review. Thanks - Staying On The Ride is definitely one of my favorites :D What a setlist.... Free, Moses and Let Him Fly? Lucky girl!

Sounds like an amazing night :D
KarenL
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:08 am

Double Wow! Kelsea, if that's an 'inarticulate' review, I cant wait to read one of your articulate ones :D

Thanks!
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:27 am

WOW!!! Sounds like a GREAT show!!!. The Linda Ronstadt cover must have been It Doesn't Matter Anymore from her Heart Like A Wheel album. The song was actually written by Paul Anka :roll: and it was a staple in Ronstadt's live shows for years. I've always thought that Linda did the definitive version but I'd LOVE to hear Patty's take.

Thanks for the great review!
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:41 am

Great review, Kelsea!!! I feel like I was there. Now that I've heard my share of great Patty bootlegs (only ever seen her in concert once) I can just picture her little flub-ups being cute! I am officially jealous!!!

P.S. This reminded me that I used to love that Linda Ronstadt (Paul Anka) song!

"There is no use in me-a cry-ah-ah-in'
I've done everything now
I'm sick of trying....
I've thrown away my nights, wasted all my days over you-u-u-u..."

"So baby you go your way and I'll go my mine
Now and forever til the end of time
I'll find somebody new and baby.. after we're thu (?)
You won't matter any more...."
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:44 pm

In-ar-ti-cu-late: adj.

Definition:

1. expressing yourself poorly: not good at choosing the right words or speaking fluently

2. not effectively expressed: not clearly or effectively expressed

3. not understandable: not understandable as speech or language

4. not spoken about: not expressed, or not able to be expressed in words

5. unable to speak: lacking the power to speak, especially because of feeling strong emotion

6. not jointed: describes body parts that have no joints or segments, e.g. the bones of the skull
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing inarticulate about your review, Kelsea, was the bones and skull thing. :wink:
But I'll bet Patty did feel a little disjointed when she blanked on "weekend edition has this town way overrated." Hee

Thanks for sharing your fantastic experience with us.
I love reading these reviews.

"It Doesn't Matter Anymore" is one of my favorite LR songs. The only way it could be better is to hear Patty do it.

You are one lucky girl.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Little_Kites » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:02 am

Oh Kelsea your review is fine. And just as an aside I still call Peaceful Valley Peaceful Valley. Sounds like a good setlist. Also here are the lyrics to Linda Rondstat's It dosn't matter anymore (if that is in fact the song patty covered)

There you go and baby here am I
Well you left me here so I could sit and cry
Golly gee what have you done to me
Well I guess it doesn't matter anymore

Do you remember baby last September
How you held me tight each and every night
Oh baby how you drove me crazy
But I guess it doesn't matter anymore

There's no use in me a-crying
I've done everything now I'm sick of trying
I've thrown away my nights
Wasted all my days over you

Now you go your way baby and I'll go mine
Now and forever till the end of time
I'll find somebody new and baby
We'll say we're through
And you won't matter anymore

There's no use in me a-crying
I've done everything now I'm sick of trying
I've thrown away my nights
Wasted all my days over you

Now you go your way baby and I'll go mine
Now and forever till the end of time
And I'll find somebody new and baby
We'll say we're through
And you won't matter anymore
No you won't matter anymore
You won't matter anymore

hmmm I wouldn't mind hearing Patty's version either.
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Boulder, cont.

Postby klovesmusic » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Hey All,

Just finding the time to check in, post show. I don't have many details to add, as Kelsea certainly took care of a thorough review.... however, I thought I'd add a few things:

I agree that the set list was amazing -- in terms of song choice, it was probably the best set I've heard (I've seen Patty 5 times now). She played a lot of the unreleased songs (e.g. moon song, up or down, free, bad news, etc) that she played last Aug at the Lyons Folk Fest... so it was great to hear those again (thanks Kelsea for hooking me up with that show last year!). I particularly loved moon song and free.

I was also very happy to hear the new stuff she's been dabbling with. Odd that I found myself tearing up during "burgundy shoes" ... i.e. the song Patty states was her "first attempt at a happy song" (per the prodding of craig ross).

And, as you all are well aware, it is quite impossible for Patty to have a bad show -- her voice is just too beautiful for that. Unfortunately, though, I found the lyrical, strumming, tuning, and pitchy woopsies to be quite distracting... especially since there were several mistakes in her very first song (i.e. forgiveness), which likely made me more aware of mistakes to come (to which there were many). It was nice to see her, however, making jokes about the mistakes instead of being quiet and embarrased. I didn't feel embarrased for her -- she owned them. And, I'm sure she'll get all the kinks worked out in time for Santa Fe... can't wait!

Take care,

K
klovesmusic
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Mis » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:25 pm

Great to hear from you, Krista, and fabulous reviews from both you and Kelsea. :D
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Kelsea » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:27 am

Little late but thanks for all the nice words guys. I didn't realize it at the time but man was that a long review lol. It seems I'm not a big fan of paragraphs either, oh well. Also arizonalily corrected me on the other site, the dress she wore was actually light green not tan so odds are her shoes were too. Even though I've only heard it once It Doesn't Matter Anymore is now one of my fave Patty covers. She definitely owned it and I hope she keeps playing IDMA at her shows
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:15 pm

Yes, the dress was green. (Btw, I hope I didn't sound rude on the other board, if so, I didn't mean to).

And she totally rocked IDMA, kept it much more peppy than Linda's version.

This is the pic of her dress...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/lilyofthewest/Photography/pattybouldertheatre.jpg
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Next

Return to Shows & Meetups