We was like peas and carrots again: PATTY PEOPLE IN ALABAMA

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Postby Mis » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:21 pm

FABULOUS!!!! :D Love all the pix - good Lord, Russ - the ones you took of Patty at the piano are gorgeous! I love all of 'em though and am glad to know that the Post-Patty Party (You down with PPP? Yeah you know me!) lives large and strong! :D
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Great photos!

Postby rhea » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Thanks for the concert shots! They're awesome.

Well, I've never been completely ignored on a message board before, wow.
Usually I'm most assuredly at the very heart and soul of all the gatherings, groups, photos, and fun...but I see this "place" is different. At any rate, glad everyone had a great time. I know that we surely did!

Time to go out and put my new "I'd Rather Be at a Patty Griffin concert" bumper sticker on the car. :D
May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to make you happy.
rhea
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Re: The Morning After

Postby Lisa1 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm

rhea wrote:
Lisa, was that you and your friend that we met, perhaps, outside the doors before the show, by any chance?

Hi rhea! I don't think that I met you unfortunately... I really wanted to meet some of the Patty forumers too... but not knowing what anyone looks like, and not knowing many names, I didn't have much luck. Next time for sure!! And Wow!! the pictures are great guys! Thanks for posting them... it is cool to see her up close.... I am looking forward to the video :D I can't wait to see her again! It is very cool that you all get together for the pre-party and post-party!
Lisa1
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Little_Kites » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Oh those pictures of Patty on the piano are beautiful as is Patty! Way to go Russ!

Glad you all had a good time!
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby keith from ny » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:40 pm

rhea wrote:Well, I've never been completely ignored on a message board before, wow.
Usually I'm most assuredly at the very heart and soul of all the gatherings, groups, photos, and fun...but I see this "place" is different. At any rate, glad everyone had a great time. I know that we surely did!

Time to go out and put my new "I'd Rather Be at a Patty Griffin concert" bumper sticker on the car. :D

My apologies for what probably seems like rudeness, Rhea. We welcome all [reasonable] Patty fans in this forum, it's just that some us here have been friends for a while and kinda get caught up in the opportunity to spend time with each other. But we are very friendly people and there was no intention of excluding you, honest! Glad you and your sweetie enjoyed the concert, and I hope to see you before, during and/or after a Patty show some time real soon.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:38 pm

What a weekend. Wow! I can't believe it really all happened. Such happy times.

A few pictures from my camera:

The first partygoers (minus Niccy) at Eddie's Attic to see Ana Egge and Edie Carey (boy did we get belligerent!)

Cuteness

See, belligerent

Nicole did some decorating to Edie Carey's plate

The afternoon of Patty's show, trying to balance Table Talk pies on our head. Obviously, I was not very good at this.

Keith arrived! I was so happy (and surprised)!

Nic, Lime and Julia in the backseat on the way to Alabama

Ang, cute as ever... and Joseph

We found a cool chair thing by the restrooms of the Alabama Theater and decided to take a picture

And then we found Matt, in the line for the women's bathroom, lol

Look at these cuties
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby Nicoleee » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:06 pm

gillian wrote:What a weekend. Wow! I can't believe it really all happened. Such happy times.

Cuteness

The afternoon of Patty's show, trying to balance Table Talk pies on our head. Obviously, I was not very good at this.

Nic, Lime and Julia in the backseat on the way to Alabama

And then we found Matt, in the line for the women's bathroom, lol

Look at these cuties

Dude! I loveeeeeeeeeeee theseeeeeeee.... *swoon for days*

Thanks pattyfriends, I cannot exist in this world without you! :D
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby ang » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:09 pm

Ahh.. I'm still on cloud nine over here. *sigh* It will probably take a month or more to "come down" from these amazing couple of days. There have been very few moments in my life that I have experienced overwhelming joy like this, almost to the point of tears. You all rock my world....even more than Patty does. That's an assload of rockin', people.

I'm working on getting the video uploaded, so stay tuned.

Ang
Like jewels in a crown, the precious stones glittered in the queen's round metal hat.
ang
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:42 am

Home again, home again, jiggity jog...and my tummy hurts from all the laughing I did this weekend.

I think I can safely say that these pix will never stop making me laugh, smile, and sigh with affectionate delight. This will be one of those threads I visit on days I need cheering up. The only disappointing thing was that more people couldn't make it!

To those of you we missed, no worries, there will absolutely be a next time! See you all then.

all hail the riders of the debauchery wagon,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:32 am

wonderful wonderful photos, all of you! You all look cute as buttons!

What a great time it looks like....(here comes my obligatory sigh....) SIGH. Wish I was there.

Russ, those are bad-ass photos you took of Patty too!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:32 am

ang wrote:Ahh.. I'm still on cloud nine over here. *sigh* It will probably take a month or more to "come down" from these amazing couple of days. There have been very few moments in my life that I have experienced overwhelming joy like this, almost to the point of tears.

You're an overwhelming joy! (and your mom is, too ;))

Thanks again to you and Russ for being such gracious hosts, and to you for singing and playing your talented heart out, Ang (and don't even get me started on your delicious self-renewing salsa). I think it was a pretty world-rockin' weekend for all of us, so glad I could get there for some of it!

*sigh* back to work...
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:51 am

I am SOOOO jealous I missed this gathering.... so many of the people I've wanted to meet in one place at the same time.... not to mention folks I've already met.... If time travel is ever perfected....
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby MWM » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:03 pm

Hahaha, I was not in the line for the women's restroom. The only way down the down side of the stars was to for a moment get sucked into the unreasonably long line to the women's restroom.

The show was really great except for these freaking idiots who were sitting next to us. There were like 10 of them, and they sang along with every note of Jim James' songs, and yelled and screamed and after he was done, I was hoping maybe they'd just leave. But no, they sat back down and talked through "Burgundy Shoes," "Get Yourself Another Fool," "Stay on the Ride," Patty's little story about "Trapeze," and the first few bars of "Trapeze" itself, until I told them to shut up and they were like, "Well, let's just go," and got up and pansied out of the theatre like it was going to hurt my feelings in some way.

Besides the assholes, it was a super awesome show, especially "Sweet Lorraine." I was really really hoping to hear something from LWG besides "Let Him Fly," (just because it's the only one from that album I've heard live, and plus it's just not the same cause she's not playing the guitar and we don't get to see her go apeshit on it), and I got my wish. The version of "Don't Come Easy" was really slowed-down and slow-burning compared to the versions she's done before, and the really did let loose at the end. It was crazy. Same with "Love Throw a Line," she was hitting such high, whispery, sexy notes that it sounded like she was gonna break into "Heart of Glass." "Top of the World," was the perfect blend of the ID version and the SB version, and she did some extra soft, high singing at the end of it too that I'd never heard her do before. One thing I remember is that after "Heavenly Day," my friend Shannon said, "I can't believe it, but everytime I see her I think her voice gets better."
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby ScottG » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:17 pm

Wow. We've finally recovered from our 1000 mile trip this weekend.
We had a great time. The trip was a bit long for Maria and the kids but I'd do it all over again next weekend. It was so great to see everyone. I'm so glad you made it Turk! And Keith, what a fantastic surprise. I'm so sorry I didnt recognize you Lime!

Saturday night was just one of the best nights ever.

We got to the Alabama Theater during Jim James' set. My daughter Erin really enjoyed his singing. He sounds kinda like a Muppet, so I guess he seemed familiar to Erin. Anyway, I really like Jim too and I though he had a great set. I forgot the list I made that had everyone's seat numbers, but I saw most of our crowd. I never did manage to locate Matt or Joanna.

About half way through Patty's opener, Burgundy Shoes... Erin fell asleep in my arms. Poor kid, she was just wiped out. David really enjoyed Patty's show. He really likes Heavenly Day and I could hear him quietly singing along next to me. He requested Heavenly Day many times during the drive home. Erin woke up during Sweet Lorraine and wanted to go. NOW! She was getting pretty unruly so we listened to the end of the show from the lobby.

The drive from Birmingham to Atlanta was somewhat crazy. The highway is quite the roller coaster ride and at one point the reflectors on the highway reminded me of an old Atari game. I was continuously amused by the names of things in Alabama.... there are towns named Tallapoosa and Loosacoochie and such.

Man, I dont think we rolled into Ang and Russ' place until at least 1:30. We promptly stole Gillian and Nic's room and set up camp. The kids were now WIRED! Thank goodness Capo was locked away. Maria let me hang out with everyone while she got the kids to sleep. Sadly, she went to sleep also. The rest of us stayed up until at least 6:30.

I made fast friends with Early. He's my kind of dog. Capo was very suspicious of the large mammal next to the fireplace and kept his distance for quite some time. Russ finally coaxed him near me by sitting him down next to me in Ang's coat.

David and Erin woke up loudly at about 10:00 am. Ang swears she didn't hear them but she's just being sweet. I only got to say "bye" to Keith and Elise. Sorry to wake you guys! We packed up and headed to Atlanta and the Georgia Aquarium. If you get the chance, check it out.

The drive back to Louisville took F O R E V E R!
We got in about 1:30 am and collapsed.

Ang and Russ, Thank you so much for your hospitality.
Everyone, Thanks so much for being there. We had a wonderful time.
One of the best weekends ever.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby ang » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:11 pm

I found a few more pics from the heavenly weekend...

***Swoon***

And finally....

*drum roll*

Get Yourself Another Fool

Stay on the Ride

ETA: Apparently SOTR is not available for viewing yet, as it is still in the processing phase. It may take another thirty minutes or so.
Like jewels in a crown, the precious stones glittered in the queen's round metal hat.
ang
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to Shows & Meetups