Schuba's... Round 2

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Schuba's... Round 2

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:27 am

I knew my day was going to go well.

My friend I am staying with is a drummer in a band. He had his two bandmates over for breakfast. As we talked, I found out that they loved some really great music and had played with Rose Polenzani, among others. Even better, Yvonne, the guitar player owned a Gibson J-200, Patty's guitar. She was nice enough to let me come over and play it for a little while. It was my first time playing one and it is an AMAZING instrument. Beautiful sound. I played No Bad News and some other stuff and then, as I was leaving, thanked her politely for ruining my Martin forever. Bitch. :lol:

Gilly and I got to the club at around 6:15 and were very close to the front of the line. Colette joined us and we waited until about 7:20 for the doors to open. We scooted right up to the front of the stage on the right. A perfect spot.

Ryan Bingham opened again and he was so good I was forced to do my first concert call of the evening. I can say with authority that I've never done that. He is a real talent. Bought his album and looking forward to listening to it.

Well... about the concert... wow. That about sums it up. Patty was ON. Not that she isn't always, but she turned it up to 11.

10 Million Miles - A nice surprise for the opener and great, as always.

Burgundy Shoes - Just a beautiful song. As Patty was finishing up, a loud crash was heard in the room. Longoria got up from his kit to look and when Patty was finished she walked out from behind the piano peering into the crowd, worried she might have a person down for the 2nd night in a row. Turned out to be nothing but it was funny.

Get Yourself Another Fool (Sam Cooke song) - This is a great song that she does really, really well. Fits into her setlist with ease.

Stay on the Ride - I don't particularly care for the studio version. Does not do much for me. But live, it is a whole new ballgame. Love it.

Trapeze - She has really worked up the crescendo of the song with the Hallelujah part. It is amazing. And one of my favorite tunes on the new album.

Useless Desires - Knocked me off my feet. It was beautifully done and the crowd was singing along. One of my favorite songs live and this was one of the best versions I've heard.

Heavenly Day - Heavenly.

Regarding Mary - Gilly and I were praying seeing as she played it at Gruene in Texas and Rach got to see it there. Gillian snuck a look at the setlist and saw it was on there so we prayed even more it would not get overlooked. So when she played the opening chords.... :smile: :smile: It was amazing to hear it and she played it with gusto.

Railroad Wings - Not my fave but it grows on me. A very pretty song, no doubt.

Free - Patty and Doug have worked out the end of the song beautifully. It is another of my favorites and the end pulls it together amazingly.

No Bad News - She kicked it up a notch. It was stunning.

Long Ride Home - Ditto

Crying Over - :D I was so pleased to hear this one again since it was not on the setlist the first night. It was great.

Love Throw A Line - Can't even begin to describe it. It was soooooo gooood last night. Knock your socks off good.

Up to the Mountain - Once again, no words.

Encores: J'irai La Voir Un Jour - Always beautiful. No exception last night.

Sweet Lorraine - :shock: :shock: Yowza! Double Yowza! (and Patty did not say slut. She must be getting more conservative! :lol:)

Gettin Ready - Triple Yowza! Sent Gilly, Colette and I dancing into the night. I said in chat that last night that I think Colette could fly to Australia tomorrow without the plane. And she was almost leaning to coming to Boston. Said we should not tempt her. Heck, if you're flyin around the world, what's a little backtracking for Patty!
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Nicoleee » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:56 am

Thanks, Rob! Nice job on the review!

I was happy to get a few concert calls: Regarding Mary and Useless Desires... and a third one before but I couldn't make it out... but wow, did i try.

Then as I went to bed I got a text from G: "Show was unbelievable. I can't even explain..."

Yay. G come home and tell me moreeeeeeeeeeeee.

Let the Boston PattyMadness begin!!!! :shock: :D :D :D
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Mis » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:44 am

Nicoleee wrote:Thanks, Rob! Nice job on the review!

Let the Boston PattyMadness begin!!!! :shock: :D :D :D

I agree...it was nice to get a few details in chat last night from you Rob, but this writeup has me absolutely squeeing with anticipation of tomorrow night! Excellent stuff! :D

And to Nicole I say: BRING IT ON! :D
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:49 am

How cool was it to get "Sweet Lorraine" ?
Sounds like a fantastic time.
Thanks for details, Rob.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sandina » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:02 am

Thanks for the great recaps, Rob! You're making me very jealous! So happy for you fans that got to attend!!!

Out of curiousity - it sounds as if Patty is feeling REALLY comfortable with this new album. Can you feel that in her performances? I can just imagine it.

You got me really looking forward to the not-mini tour!!! :)
sandina
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby elcorazon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:28 am

Patty seemed extremely comfortable in her own skin at these shows. She's having such a great time up there (both nights making the comment about how great her job is, and meaning it). Even the mishaps, missed lyrics, fainting guys, loud booms, don't seem to throw her off course.

And man, she can belt out a tune. I am in love with the song Trapeze and the way she and Bryn harmonize on it - glad to hear it Sunday without the drama of the fainting guy messing up the mood.

The new songs as a whole seemed to improve the increased familiarity of hearing many of them 2 nights in a row, and I'm REALLY looking forward to the new record - just one more week, give or take...

I got to introduce a newbie to Patty on Sunday - he'd never heard any of her music and walked away looking to pick up her records and planning to see her again upon her return to Chicago, so I'm pretty happy to have created a new Patty fan.

2 shows and no songs from Flaming Red. Her catalog is getting so deep that you can no longer even hope for any specific songs that go back beyond Impossible Dream. I don't think there were any repeats pre-ID for the 2 nights.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Little_Kites » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:51 am

sandina wrote:Thanks for the great recaps, Rob! You're making me very jealous! So happy for you fans that got to attend!!!

Out of curiousity - it sounds as if Patty is feeling REALLY comfortable with this new album. Can you feel that in her performances? I can just imagine it.

You got me really looking forward to the not-mini tour!!! :)

I think perhaps Patty is starting to get comfortable with herself and it shows in her music. Plus isn't the vibe of this album suppose to be about not taking things/life too seriously. I remeber in some articles/reviews where Patty is saying at this point in her life she has learned to take herself less seriously and just laugh at herself. So maybe in general she is just more relaxed and confident and it shows in her music.

I know this is bad and I hope the fellow is doing better now but I find it slightly amusing that some guy fainted at a patty show. Heee gosh Patty has a powerful effect on people heh-heh :wink:. Ok I'm horrible I hope this guy is feeling better

Thanks for the recap I hope I can find some pictures or someone posts them.
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Fool On Fire » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:57 am

LOL Kites...well, you know, she does have a powerful effect on people. Copious weeping in the audience...fainting...maybe she should come with a warning label. "Patty Griffin: Not For the Faint of Heart." ;)

"Regarding Mary" as part of her setlist...what a total coup de grace. I am so jealous of you fuckers. :P

Bring on Alabama,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:45 pm

Thanks so much for the accounts, guys. Rob, I think you must have stretched your extensive collection of superlatives to the max with these two posts! ;) And that's so great that Collette "dropped in" for the shows on her way to Australia.

Sure sounds like Patty's all warmed up -- Boston, here I come!! :D
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby ScottG » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:44 pm

Little_Kites wrote: I know this is bad and I hope the fellow is doing better now but I find it slightly amusing that some guy fainted at a patty show. Heee gosh Patty has a powerful effect on people heh-heh :wink:. Ok I'm horrible I hope this guy is feeling better

The words "sooner or later the old girls goin' down..." had just left Patty's mouth the, as he will forever be known, fainting man went down. Down like Linus seeing the Great Pumpkin.

He actually went fainted twice during the show, but Patty didnt notice the first time.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby elcorazon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm pretty sure she played "Someone Else's Tomorrow" as well... unless that was Saturday - I know she played it one of the 2 nights.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:29 am

thanks for all the wonderful reviews! Sigh. I wonder if I will see Patty again soon.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:48 am

ScottG wrote:The words "sooner or later the old girls goin' down..." had just left Patty's mouth the, as he will forever be known, fainting man went down. Down like Linus seeing the Great Pumpkin.

He actually went fainted twice during the show, but Patty didnt notice the first time.

I can see this actually referenced in a future PattySong or an interview.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:09 am

Who is that singing harmony on "Trapeze" with her?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2eqIOcJyLA
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:23 am

Turk wrote:Who is that singing harmony on "Trapeze" with her?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2eqIOcJyLA

Bryn Davies - Patty's new upright bassist/cellist/background vocalist
gillian
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Shows & Meetups