Mountain Stage 2/4/07

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Mountain Stage 2/4/07

Postby PattyChick13 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:53 am

The Mountain Stage show in West Virginia was last night and after sitting through 5 acts, I was so ready for Patty to come on! We got there about 45 minutes before the doors opened since it was general admission and there were only about 6 people in front of us in the first line (there were 2--one at each door). And we got front row seats! Patty's set was definitely short, but sweet. Setlist:

Burgundy Shoes
Stay on the Ride
Trapeze
Heavenly Day
Get Yourself Another Fool (Sam Cooke)
J'irai la Voir un Jour

When she first came out and did Burgundy Shoes, I cried. And I would have bawled if I hadn't collected myself! haha On the last tour it wasn't one of my favorite songs, but now I love it. Hmmm....I see a running theme. Last time I saw Patty, I cried when she came out. Oh, and she introduced Burgundy Shoes by saying how she was challenged by a friend to write a happy song and she wrote it about her bus rides with her mom. Anyway, she went right into Stay on the Ride, which was awesome. There wasn't too much stage banter, but I think it was before SotR that she said "thank goodness this isn't live radio!" Trapeze was beautiful--another one I didn't love, but now I do (those bootlegs must not do it justice!).

My one complaint comes in here. During Trapeze, the tall photographer decides he's going to kneel on the floor in front of me during the whole song. There were two photographers and one was a pretty short girl who would crouch down low so our views weren't obstructed and that was fine. During the whole show, all two hours, the tall guy didn't come to our side of the stage...until Patty of course. I was like, dude, we drove three hours to sit through two hours of people I don't know, to see Patty sing 6 songs, and NOW you decide to sit in front of me. But oh, well, I tried to ignore it and had a great time anyway.

*end rant* Heavenly Day was...well, heavenly. As was the Sam Cooke cover. Man can that woman belt! J'irai la Voir un Jour was beautiful and I wasn't expecting it. Patty mentioned her grandmother, who passed away in November at 99, and how she loved this song. She said she dedicated Children Running Through to her. After this song, Patty left, then came back out for a group number with everyone who was on Mountain Stage that night. I don't know what the song was but everyone sang along, and she looked nervous and kind of confused, as though she didn't know what was going on. lol But she was fine and everyone sounded great together.

I took about 3 pictures, none of which came out, but here is one anyway:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/3805 ... 05.jpg?v=0

After the show, we thought we'd stick around, even though some guy said Patty probably wouldn't be out. Then this older couple (who looked to be in their 70s or 80s) came up to the stage door and asked one of the other guys who played that night if Patty was still back there. So he went back and she came out! Apparently Patty knew the couple, and I didn't listen, but my mom heard a little bit and thinks they knew her grandmother. They gave her something, it might have been a picture. I felt bad kind of lingering around while she was talking, but when she was finished, I introduced myself and asked if I could give her something (I gave her a letter), then if we could get a quick picture:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/3805 ... 77.jpg?v=0

It happened so quickly, it seems like it didn't even happen, but there's the photographic proof! Now, if you sat through and read all that, you get a cookie, because I'm not a very good reviewer!
PattyChick13
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Mis » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:54 am

Good for you, PC! :D Fantastic review - glad you had such a great time!
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:12 am

Hey Nicole, that sounds wonderful! And I love your pictures. Thanks for sharing with us.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:42 am

You can and did give a great review, Nicole. I'm sorry you had to sit through 5 acts and only got 6 tunes from Patty BUT, you got a photo with her! How fantastic. I admire and respect your restraint and patience but if that photographer had stooped down in front of me for the entire song, he would have been sitting with my foot up his butt until he moved over. I'm serious.

Thanks for the review.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby PattyChick13 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:13 pm

:D

I forgot to mention that the whole show will be available for download as an MP3 on the Mountain Stage website:

www.mountainstage.com

It isn't up yet, but it should be soon, and will only be available for one week once it's up. It may be the whole show though, so maybe someone would be able to cut out only Patty's set.

The other 5 acts really weren't that bad. First was a guy named Luke Doucet, and he was pretty good. I enjoyed him. Then there was a group called the Red Stick Ramblers. They did western swing and some cajun...not my favorite kind of music but still entertaining. Third was another younger girl, I can't remember her name. She was probably my least favorite. After her came Eric Bibb--loved him! I'd check his stuff out! Then Anne McCue, who was also great. I enoyed her set (only three songs though), and her Australia accent! haha But my favorite, of course was Patty.
PattyChick13
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby ScottG » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:13 pm

Great pics and write up Nic.
So glad you got to see and meet Patty!
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby PattyChick13 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:48 am

I forgot to mention that Michael Longoria was out that night so it was only Doug and Bryn with her. Patty said "we actually are doing pretty good with out Michael. But don't tell him that!"
PattyChick13
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby PattyChick13 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:42 pm

I emailed Mountain Stage about when the show will be available online, and this is the email:

Great to hear from you. Thanks for coming out to the show and we're glad you enjoyed yourself. It was definitely an eclectic show, which tend to be the best ones.

The show will go out to radio in the first week of April. About two
weeks
later it will go up (usually on a Monday) for download at
mountainstage.org. If you watch our broadcast schedule
(http://www.mountainstage.org/html/radio/RADIO.html) this will give you
a
good idea of what's coming up.

Thanks again for coming to the show, we appreciate your support and hope you'll tell some friends about us.
PattyChick13
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Return to Shows & Meetups