Santa Cruz show

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Santa Cruz show

Postby sfboy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:49 am

I'm very very tired and have to get up early tomorrow for work, so I'll just post a set list now and add comments tomorrow or Friday.

1. Get Yourself Another Fool
2. Say on the Ride
3. Trapeze
4. Useless Desires
5. Burgundy Shoes
6. Kite Song
7. Be Careful
8. When It Don't Come Easy
9. No Bad News
10. Love Throw a Line
11. Heavenly Day
12. I Don't Ever Give Up
13. Up to the Mountain
14. Icicles

encores
15. Fly
16. Long Ride Home
17. Getting Ready

Details forthcoming, but it was an EFFING UNBELIEVABLE SHOW!!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:57 pm

Thanks for the setlist, Kevin.
Yeah, it's kinda tough to put everything into words right after the show. I'm sure it was great.
Are you still going to the birthday concert tonight?
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:45 pm

Hi y’all. So I’m finally posting my review. I hope you don’t mind, but it’s going to be sort of a review/journal entry.

So......a girl from Georgia who was on spring break posted on another of Patty’s board that she needed a ride down to Santa Cruz from SF. I posting offering her a ride, and then another guy saw that posting and emailed me that he needed a ride, too. So we all drove down to Santa Cruz together (about 75 minutes from SF). If you’ve never been to SF, you can’t udnerstand what an amazing day it was. It was about 82º--just gorgeous. We don’t get many days like that! I was sort of worried about giving total strangers a ride in my car, but Alison and Robert were both GREAT! We talked Patty the whole way down there. It was really fun to talk about completely esoteric details that could only be discussed by true Pattyheads.

We got down to Santa Cruz and parked behind the venue around 3:15 or so. No one was in line, so Alison and I went walking down the main strip. Again, just a beautiful day. We ended up a taqueria next to the venue. We were eaiting our food when out in front of the restaurant we saw Robert (he used to live in SC and was meeing friends), so he came in and sat down too. So we were all discussing great bonding issues liked getting dumped on Valentines Day (Alison and I, coincidentally enough) when, in front of the taqueria, on the street, passes a very petite red haired lady walking a little dog. Alison had told us on the way down that it was her life’s goal to meet Patty. Well, at 21 she has just accomplished her life goal. All down hill from here on in! She went out, let Patty go into a pet store and then come out, and then said hello. Very very cool. And Patty was really nice. I’m not really into meeting famous people, but having Alison meet Patty made me really happy. It was like a real life video of Heavenly Day. Un friggin believable.

After Alison’s acension to Nirvana, we went to get in line. My fantastic friend Patty friend Jaimie and her husband Evan and friend Mike were already in line. We had a great time talking and we mentioned, oh, maybe 3 or 4 hundred times that we’d just seen/met Patty. A few more people joined us in line, and then we went in and listened to a little of the sound check. Very cool. Mind you, this was Alison’s first real Patty concert. She’d only seen her once, w/ John Prine, and Patty did a very short set. So imagine meeting Patty the at your first Patty concert. The vibe in line was just unbelivable. Maybe in was the day or the location or Patty or all three, but everyone was just in a great move. We met Dirk, another Patty fan, and Heather, a new Patty fan who had a bum ankle. We saved her a spot in line and she was just so darn happy ‘bout it. Seriously, I know this sounds so cornball, but it was the perfect afernoon.

OK, so I know you’re all waiting to read about the actual show. When we finally went it, we realized just how dang small the venue is. We all got right in front. My other Patty friends Jerry and Alana made it, so I was able to say hi to them, too. OK, flash forward to when Terremoto came on. The sort of jazzy stuff isn’t what I’d usually listen to, but I loved their spirit and their message and Michael was really happy, so we were too. He actually came down and thanks us because we were dancing and moving while they were playing, and I guess he appreciated it.

Then came Patty! She came out in brownish kulaks (is that what they’re called? very fashion unconsious here). We were so damn close it was unbelievale. Get Yourself Another Fool was nice, as was Stay on the Ride, but Trapeze was just amazing. I”ll never get tired of that song. Useless Desires got a huge response from the crowd. Everyone sang along. Patty looked really pleasantly surprised when she realized that everyone was singing. The crowd played a big part in the show. The applause was never less than overwhelming. I know that singers often remark about applause, but this was the real thing. I think she was really surprised. Burgundy Shoes was beautiful, as usual, and Kite Song was really nice, too, with just Doug playing guitar and Patty on piano. And it was around this point that everyone started singing Happy Birrthday, even though it wasn’t her birthday. She sort of pantomimed feigned surprise but I think felt good that the crowd was so into it. Be Careful was crystalline and wonderful. When It Don’t Come Easy, like Useless Desires, was a huge crowd pleaser and there was lots of singing there, too. And as in other stops on this tour, No Bad News brought the house down. So much energy and just an amazing song. Love Throw a Line was bluesy and fun, and Heavenly Day was, well, heavenly. I was surprised at how good I Don’t Ever Give Up was live. Really nice. I think it was about here that Patty started talking about Santa Cruz and how beautiful the day had been. She compared the small streets with pretty hosues to Austin. Up to the Mountain, which isn’t one of my favorite tracks on the CD, was amazing live. I think there was a debate before about the guitar vs piano version. If that debate is still goign on, then defintely the guitar version. Unbelievable. Mouth droppingly amazing. And then she ended the show w/ Icicles, which on the way down Robert had mentioned was his favorite song. Very very nice.

So we stomped and shouted and clapped and hooted and hollered and it didn’t take Patty long to get back out on stage. First she did Fly (is it Let Him Fly or Fly???) with Doug playing guitar. That’s another song that isn’t my favorite but live was tranformed. Just beautiful. Next was Long Ride Home, which is one of my top 5 Patty songs. Hearing that was just icing on an already 17 layer flourless chocolate cake. I can still hear it, two days later. It was aroudn this point that somoene yelled “Happy Birthday again. Patty smiled and said that she’d been born on the East Coast and that it was already her birthday there, so it was her birthday, and that now that she was older, she had birthday months instead of just birthdays. She ended the night with Getting Ready, which got everyone up from the table and dancing.

I’m super busy with work right now and would have loved to spend more time on this review. But everyone after--Alison, Jaimie, Mike, Dirk, Jerry, Heather--everyone was just blown away. Honestly, everything about the day was perfect, Patty was as on as I’ve ever seen her, and the crowd was one of the most responsive I’ve ever been part of. What a night!!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:28 am

First off, Kevin, giving those 2 wheel-less PattySouls a ride was such a beautiful thing and you are a beautiful guy. That's part of what I like to think of as sharing the PattyLove.

Secondly...WOW - what a time it must have been in Santa Cruz, and seeing Patty outside on the street like a regular person (haha). Glad your friend got to meet her.

Great recap of the show!
Thanks for sharing...
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby irishcornboy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:37 am

Thanks for the lovely review Kevin!
Made us all feel like we were along for the ride...
Cheers,
Kevin (same name, different guy)
"I once thought that when you understood something, it was with you forever. I know now that this isn't so, that most truths are inherently unretainable, that we have to work hard all of our lives to remember the most basic things."-Lucy Grealy
irishcornboy
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Santa Cruz Show!

Postby mkhandley » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:24 pm

Hey Kevin!

Its Mike (Evan & Jaime's friend from Turlock)

Hard to imagine Ill ever experience a better show
than this one, though the Warfield came surprisingly
close. Great meeting you and Miss Aliasion from
Atlanta! Cant imagine there are better Patty fans
anywhere!
mkhandley
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Arlene » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:37 am

sfboy wrote: My fantastic friend Patty friend Jaimie and her husband Evan

Kevin- I LOVED your reviews for both shows.

I also love the smallness of the music fan community. Jamie and Evan are major Emmylou Harris fans and I attended the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival with them this year-- sitting on the tarps they spread out at 5:00 am in the morning so we could get great spots in the park. Jaimie's an AMAZING artist-- one of her drawings hangs in the bedroom of HSB festival underwriter and billionaire Warren Hellman-- and Evan is the high school teacher we wish we all had. They're two of my favorite people. Please send them my best. I hope to see them again in October.

Arlene
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Shows & Meetups