Boulder 07

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:10 pm

Nice meeting you, Trudes. Glad you enjoyed the show!

And thanks to Kelsea for posting the setlists. She's great and we (Karen, Jess and I) had a nice time meeting up with her at the shows and for dinner.

The shows were both great with, what I believe was agreement between us all, that Thursday was the better show only because of the setlist. Hearing One Big Love was amazing as it was the first Patty song I ever heard and I'm pretty sure I've never heard it performed before. Well, maybe once a few years back, but I don't quite remember. Either way, hearing it on Thursday was very special.

My friends Rachel and Tim came up from Denver for the show on Friday. Rachel has LWG and Flaming Red but nothing after that. But her two absolute favorites from LWG are Forgiveness and Sweet Lorraine. SCORE!! They both loved the show and really loved No Bad News and Getting Ready. I have to make a mix today of some of Patty's 'newer' stuff for them.

Saturday dawned with the gloom of no more shows and the fact that it was the grayest of days. Karen went back to Boston, the city she's lost in, while Jess and I took a drive up into the mountains outside of Boulder. As we gained elevation, we watched as a driving rainstorm transformed into a beautiful snowstorm. It was not the best weather to be doing outdoorsy stuff but Sunday was absolutely beautiful and we did manage to get in a hike.

Here are a couple of pics...

Jess on high...

Me and Jess on Top of the World (or close enough)

Jess in a tight spot...

I headed back to Denver after the hike while I left Jess wedged and stuck tightly in that crevice. I will bring her food and water sometime tomorrow. I swear.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby keith from ny » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:55 pm

Rob wrote:Image

I headed back to Denver after the hike while I left Jess wedged and stuck tightly in that crevice. I will bring her food and water sometime tomorrow. I swear.

Those pics really make me miss Colorado. Glad you guys had a chance to enjoy the mountains!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby RedEarth » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:16 pm

What a wonderful couple concerts, and wonderful weekend.

Like they've said, that Thurs. night setlist was incredible! Add to that, Patty was so on. No Bad News, for instance. Every Patty show I've seen has some great energy, but this was off the charts type of energy. She was so into it, and I love seeing her rock out like that. My favorite moment of all would be when she would get so into the playing, that she'd double over into a tiny little ball of atomic energy around her guitar. She'd kick her little legs in those high heels, too. She's so adorable.

I was really happy on Friday, to have her play Forgiveness.

It was nice to get to meet new friends, and good old friends again. I wish we could have met up with Scott Z, and with AZlilly (Nichole). There are always more shows, though. ;)

Boulder definitely has great scenery. The lichen covered rocks and the pines were so nice to hike among. Sunday was a beautiful day for the hiking, lots of sun and fresh clean air. Friday ended wet, and Saturday was wet too, but it was something to drive into the canyons and see big snowflakes falling on the red rocks.
Jessica

I don't know but I'm set to find out, I don't know but I'm a gonna find out
RedEarth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Nicoleee » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:19 pm

sounds dreamy, jess. so dreeeamy.

i am sure patty also enjoyed the amazing surroundings. :D
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby KarenL » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:10 pm

Sorry - this is another one of my rambling reviews :)

First of all, this was my first trip to CO (I have never been to the west, or southwest (aside from Vegas), midwest, or northwest, for that matter). So was very excited to see the vastness and beauty of the mountains, and really enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere of Boulder. Got do do some hiking at Flagstaff trail / mountain, as well as Chautauqua, and took a drive through Lyons to Estes Park.

I really enjoyed the opening band, Terremoto - very funky, percussion, Brazilian / world feel to the music. They are hard to classify, but Michael Longoria and Luis Guerra are pretty insanely talented on the drums, tambourine, and every other percussion instrument. I really enjoyed them as the opening band. Doug came out and joined them for one song, both nights. I bought their CD on the second night, and both Michael and Luis signed it. They are very friendly, cool, guys. I've already listened to it several times.

Thursday 3/22 show

It looked like it was sold out, or very close to it (the Friday show was sold out). Rob, Jess, and I had front row center seats. The band came out, followed by Patty, who was wearing a short, black dress, red/coral colored high-heeled shoes, and her hair was down. She looked very happy and relaxed (and later explained that she had arrived in Boulder the day before, and was enjoying the mountain air). She walked right up to the mic at center stage and started singing Get Yourself Another Fool (one of the highlights for me, along with Up To The Mountain). Just Patty singing her heart out at the microphone accompanied by Doug's guitar. She was so enjoyable to watch - moves back and forth, arm movements, and facial expressions on these two songs. Her voice was so soulful / bluesy and powerful. Afterward, someone shouted 'Happy Belated Birthday, Patty', and she smiled and said 'Thank you... yeah, it's my birthday month. But I won't bore you with that'. Stay On The Ride seemed to be an audience favorite. During the rocking songs, there were many moments of audience cheering at all the right moments. Very enthusiastic, polite, and appreciative audience for both shows. Every song was absolutely flawless and the setlist couldn't have been better. To see Patty sing You Never Get What You Want, pounding / strumming on that acoustic guitar, and sounding better than ever - totally into it, was something I will never forget. I Don't Ever Give up - very nice sound, musically. The full band sounded amazing on this. One Big Love was also a highlight. It was with the full band. I never thought in a million years I'd hear this one. She was smiling alot and looked like she was having a great time playing it. No Bad News and Getting Ready just blew everyone away. Getting Ready was such a fun song to end the show on. People really wanted to hear more. The band is phenominal, too!

Friday's 3/23 show

Once again, flawless. Rob, Jess, and I had second row center seats. I think this show had an extra energy (although I don't know how it's possible), and the previous night had my favorite setlist. So, all in all, both shows were the best I have ever seen. The Boston Lizard Lounge show had the small venue atmosphere, but with these two CO shows, Patty sounded better than ever, the energy was fabulous, and the setlists were perfection.

Patty came out wearing a long black skirt, with wide black belt, and sleeveless black top, with her hair down. She went right over to the piano for J'irai. I was thrilled to hear this. I've always thought this was such a beautiful song. Cold As It Gets was a highlight for me. Again, I wasn't expecting this song at all. I loved this! The album version is very quiet on the music. Hearing it live, gives me a whole new perspective on it.

She introduced her band, including Bryn, Doug, Michael and (his name is escaping me right now!) the electric bass player. Patty said 'You can never have enough bass'. Also (can't remember who this was) the audience broke out in Bruuuce'. She said she calls him 'Bruce (roll the 'r's), like in the ELO song.... and she proceeded to sing a few bars of 'Don't Bring Me Down, Bruce'. Very cute moment. She explained (both nights) that Heavenly Day was written as a love song for her dog. And that Burgundy Shoes was written as a friend's challenge to write a 'happy song'. The audience loved hearing these stories. Very polite and enthusiastic audience again! Ended on Getting Ready, which had (if it's even possible) even more energy than the previous night! It seemed like there was an extra garage-rock sound and drums from Michael on Friday, but both nights this rocked. The audience loved everything, because the applause was wild after every song. And the enthusiasm was so obvious every time a new favorite song began.

So these shows were fabulous, and if Patty returns to Boulder next year, I'd absolutely fly out there again. Had a really nice time.
KarenL
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Kelsea » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 pm

Well just like everyone else I had an absolute blast! Patty always seems to be in top form when she comes to Colorado and blew me away both nights. I have to say the first night was my favorite because that set list was out of this world and Patty was just so into it.

Trudy- I am so sorry I never made my way over to you, I meant to and I just never did. Truth be told, I being a complete dorkus, was looking for the other women in the picture until Karen pointed you out to me (you would think the apron would have tipped me off). But I had noticed you earlier in the night because if I recall correctly, you had already snagged a poster and I was quite impressed. I have an inkling you’ll be retuning to see Patty again and we must meet up when you do. Glad you enjoyed yourself
Karen, Rob and Jess- I am so glad I was able to meet you all and have dinner the first night. You are were all so nice and I enjoyed sharing some great food and music with you guys.

Thankfully a few people have already written out reviews on the shows so I don’t have too much to add.

Thursday- I must dub this the best Patty show I’ve ever seen. I am fully aware I say that same line every time but that set list, plus Patty’s energy, plus the enthusiasm of the crowed, made it an unforgettable show. Come on now, First Star, GYAF, YNGWYW, Nobody’s Crying and One big Love in one show? I could tell it would be a stellar night from the first song. After GYAF Patty said (not word for word) “We got here yesterday and had the day off. Got some of that mountain air. It makes me feel a little funny and act weird- they’ll attest to that (motioning to band, who started laughing). I don’t know, it makes me do some strange things, we’ll see what happens.”
At the piano Patty said “I can’t help but notice all the tulips, daffodils, violets etc. ” She explained that Craig had said all her songs are sad and challenged her to write a happy one “I can’t really argue with that. I went home and felt bad about that.” “If you are trying to write a happy song there are three steps 1) Springtime 2) Shoes 3) Mom.” Her piano songs were a particular highlight for me, especially First Star, which I was really hoping to hear between the two nights. Before playing First Star Patty said “I’m kind of taking a poll on who still wishes on stars (A lot of the audience raised their hands). I tend to think everyone does just cause I do. Any reason to make a wish.” After that song someone shouted “Patty you’re the greatest” drawing cheers and applause from the audience, this was a continuing trend for the night. Once again Patty inquired as to how the people in the balcony were doing saying something along the lines of “I went to see a show and the person who was playing never looked up there once. I’m very sensitive- first of all I had vertigo. And I just wanted to shout ‘hey we’re up here’. Anyways we see you, I know you’re up there.”
Patty rocked Mary and YNGWYW solo. After the latter she sort of said in a low voice “I hope he’s figured that out by now.” Someone then yelled “You’re so smart” and I’m sure had there been no stage lights Patty would have been blushing, but she smiled embarrassedly shaking her head and replied “don’t say that too soon.” Love Throw A Line was great as usual, she hit some crazy notes at the end. Someone yelled “Nice” then “did you bring your dogs?” Patty took the cue and introed Heavenly Day with the usual love song for her dog (she did bring her dogs). In reference to the song being about Bean and not Lottie “I had her since she fit in my hand and we have a special bond. She totally deserves her own love song.” Patty really does love that dog, sometimes I feel a little bad for Lottie lol. I must add on UTTM Patty had just ran her hand through her hair which made her bangs stick very nearly straight up for the whole song, which was cute. It looked like she had two tiny ponytails right on the top of her hairline and reminded me of that scene in There’s Something About Mary you know the one).
Then came One Big Love. Usually I can pick out the song from the opening chords, guitar or intro but I went through three stages on that one. 1) confusion 2) denial 3) disbelief/ gaping. Admittedly OBL has never been a favorite of mine but Patty and the band absolutely rocked that one and looked to be having a blast doing it. Patty had a huge grin on her face the whole time and was dancing all around the stage. During the second Monkey/ Funky verse Patty looked at Bryn who was on piano and nearly lost it laughing. Great Patty moment.
Patty took her leave but she might as well have u-turned before reaching backstage and come right back because the audience was loud. There was a stomping thing going and it sure sounded like a sell out crowed. She came back looking a little overwhelmed by the encore and when the audience finally settled down enough for her to talk she said “It’s not even the weekend yet. You guys are nuts. (cheekily) Well, I didn’t want to go anyways.” The encore kicked ass. Quite literally all the songs were highlights though a few did reign supreme. Simply an amazing performance.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:02 am

That was a wonderful account, almost makes me feel like I was there (and I'm so glad you've come to understand the virtues of One Big Love ;)). Thanks Kelsea!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Previous

Return to Shows & Meetups