A Word About Tunings

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

A Word About Tunings

Postby MWM » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:49 pm

Well, according to the article in Acoustic Guitar magazine, "No Bad News," which I thought was in GGDGBD is actually in DGDGBD, which I'm pretty sure means that all the songs I thought were in GGDGBD are actually in DGDGBD (GGDGBD would be a weird tuning anyway, but then again DADDAD is very weird and she uses it a lot).

I just thought I should let you guys know, although to be honest, I don't think it changes how any of the DGDGBD/GGDGBD songs are played, except perhaps for "Tony," and in that instance, maybe I'm just not as sure as I thought I was about what tuning she plays that in. I'll have to listen again sometime.

In other words, except for "Tony," the tabs should still be more or less accurate.

While I'm on the topic, I thought I'd give you a little list of everything I can think of, sorted by tuning. I've always thought the tabs page could use a sort-by-tuning feature anyway, and this is the next best thing.

DADDAD

If she plays it live on the C-Fox guitar, it's probably in DADDAD:
Not Alone
Flaming Red
Wiggley Fingers
Rain
Chief
Stolen Car
Nobody's Crying
Getting Ready
Cain
Falling Down

--------------------------------------------------------

DGDGBD

- if she plays it live on the smaller Gibson (not the J-200), it's probably in DGDGBD (except for "Moon Song" which is in DADGBD, she just tunes the G string up a step):
Mary
Little God
Truth #2
When It Don't Come Easy
Icicles
No Bad News
Free
Moon Song (DADGBD)

-----------------------------------------------------

DADGBE

If it's on the big Gibson J-200, it's probably either in DADGBE or in standard tuning (EADGBE):
Let Him Fly (tough I don't think Patty has ever played guitar on this, live or on the album)
Goodbye
One More Girl
Long Ride Home

*whew* Maybe that will be of help to some people.

EDITED TO ADD: Haha, this was meant to be in the songs and music forum, but I suppose it also relates to live shows.
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:25 am

thanks for this Matt, very helpful!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby lily » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:37 am

I love love love you for this. And all the other wonderful tabs you've done.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:40 am

This post really makes me wish I played guitar. What a guy! Image
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby lily » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:11 pm

Just looked and the article has some weirdness going on for the little riff, but honestly, it sounds just as good with what's up there now, and I've never ever seen Patty play it the weird way...

Other than that Matt, I think you're 110% right and it doesn't change how everything else is played, but it makes it sound a lot more "right". Then again, that may just be because I could never get my guitar to hold that G on the E string without either tuning it up, which worked for about half the song before it untuned itself, or tuning down till it was buzzy, which didn't work either.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby MWM » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:00 pm

lily wrote:Just looked and the article has some weirdness going on for the little riff, but honestly, it sounds just as good with what's up there now, and I've never ever seen Patty play it the weird way...

Other than that Matt, I think you're 110% right and it doesn't change how everything else is played, but it makes it sound a lot more "right". Then again, that may just be because I could never get my guitar to hold that G on the E string without either tuning it up, which worked for about half the song before it untuned itself, or tuning down till it was buzzy, which didn't work either.

Haha, yeah, the riff in AG magazine is 100% incorrect, but it still sounds pretty much the same as the correct version. There's just less of that droney sound from the high D string being open the whole time. They just got the tuning from her, I guess, and tried to figure out the rest by themselves.

I was tuning the low E-string up to G instead of down. I'm not sure why I thought the top two strings were G's unless it was because of how often she uses DADDAD and I thought maybe she liked that sort of thick, droney sound that two strings playing the same note makes. I know that Joni Mitchell's song "This Flight Tonight" is in GGDGBD, though, with the low E-string tuned down to G. And that's why it sounds so buzzy in the song. I can't imagine how it stays in tune like that through the course of the song.

Incidentally, Joni uses DGDGBD a lot too. Two of the better known songs of hers in DGDGBD are "The Circle Game" and "Little Green." I always thought it was sort of interesting that I don't think I've ever heard Patty talk about being influenced by Joni at all, other than saying she never had Blue and everyone always expected her too. I think Patty actually got some of her ideas for tunings from Shawn Colvin, who in turn was very influenced by Joni Mitchell. It's crazy how Joni manages to get to everybody.
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby lily » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:00 pm

See, when I tried tuning the low E up to G, my taylor wouldn't hold it for more than half a song. Hmm. Maybe I need more stretched out strings to do it that way.

Very interesting about Joni, I knew she used some funky tunings, and as a result have shyed away from looking up any songs to play. Maybe I'll take a look though.

And I think that Patty just might fall into the age gap that was too young when Joni was putting stuff out in the 70's (she was like, what, 7 when "Blue" came out?) and then much more easily influenced by the 80's girl singers in the highschool years. Or no one she knew played Joni, the internet wasn't a magical place of music discovery back then :)
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Return to Shows & Meetups