Three Girls and their Buddy - Cleveland

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Three Girls and their Buddy - Cleveland

Postby ChuckS » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:08 am

I posted this over on Emmylou forum a while back, and thought I'd put it here also:

Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin, Shawn Colvin, Buddy Miller
January 24, 2008
Allen Theatre, Cleveland, OH

This past Thursday was the North Coast stop of the "Three Girls and Their Buddy" tour, on a chilly evening in downtown Cleveland.

My habitual pre-concert poster hunt had proved fruitless, but after entering the lobby, I learned they were selling tour posters. Now, I've always felt that the most desirable posters are ones that actually were, well, "posted" somewhere, poster that truly played a role in the event by promoting it. I'd much rather have a street-weathered poster with tape residue or pinholes than an unused poster that merely came along for the ride. However, the one they were selling was of the "Hatch" variety, and I really, really should have one of those for my collection, so I sprung for it. I'd already checked to see if I could leave and get back in, so I took the poster out to my car, and on the way, happened to glance in a restaurant and spotted a real "working" poster (non-Hatch, made specifically for this show), so I went in and happily collected it.

I was really looking forward to the show, having enjoyed each of the players on numerous occasions. I've seen Emmylou share the stage with Patty Griffin on a couple of occasions, and Buddy Miller took part in most of the Emmylou performances I've attended.

About a quarter past eight, Emmylou took the stage, followed by Patty, Shawn and Buddy. The ladies all looked stunning. From left to right, Patty, Emmylou, Buddy and Shawn took turns playing one of their songs, starting with Emmylou. In some cases all four took part, in others, two or three. Buddy was the real workhorse of the evening, as he played on each and every song, contributing just the right gentle embellishment on one of his many guitars (especially Polaroids, Love and Happiness, and Sweet Old World) and lending backing vocals on several songs, including some beautiful underpinning of Emmylou voice on Michelangelo. Shawn did a great duet on Emmylou's Love and Happiness. Patty contributed some powerful singing to a couple of Buddy's numbers, and played djembe or maraca on many of the tunes. Emmylou (shaker) and Shawn (tambourine) also played percussion from time to time, all three of them nicely jamming along with Buddy's guitar licks during Shelter Me.

Emmylou opened with Townes van Zandt's Pancho and Lefty, followed by Patty singing Flaming Red, but then the show ground to a halt, as Shawn introduced her first song with a rambling story, dragging Patty in for a couple of lame drummer jokes. Unfortunately, these protracted breaks between songs became the order of the evening, and the show never really built any momentum. I've enjoyed between-song stories by each of them in the past, but in my opinion, it was a bit excessive on this night, and became tedious to the point that when Emmylou said "I can't think of anything to say" before her next turn, I was relieved. Opinions regarding the amount and quality of the story telling will vary, of course, and my strongest memories of the show will always be the great collection of songs and special collaborations that we were treated to:

Pancho and Lefty (E)
Flaming Red (P)
Polaroids (S)
Shelter Me (B, and so on)
Love and Happiness
Long Ride Home
Cinnamon Road
All My Tears
I Will Dream
Tony
Venetian Blue
Worry Too Much
Sweet Old World
Tomorrow Night
There's a Rugged Road
Poison Love
Michelangelo
Heavenly Day
Tennessee
The Dark End of the Street
Green Pastures

Look Out Cleveland
Mary
ChuckS
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby keith from ny » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:24 am

Hey Chuck,

Nice to see you here! Welcome to PattyNet, and thanks for the usual detailed concert review. It's killing me I won't get to see any of these shows.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:59 am

keith from ny wrote:Hey Chuck,

Nice to see you here! Welcome to PattyNet, and thanks for the usual detailed concert review. It's killing me I won't get to see any of these shows.

Even if they reprise the tour?
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby keith from ny » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:46 pm

gillian wrote:
keith from ny wrote:Hey Chuck,

Even if they reprise the tour?

If they reprise the tour about 800 miles this ===> way, sure!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Shows & Meetups