Colorado Shows --- as in plural?

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Colorado Shows --- as in plural?

Postby lily » Thu May 29, 2008 12:27 am

Word on the street is that Patty will have THREE Colorado shows this summer (squee!)

Lyons (the folk fest) is the only one I've heard is confirmed and I know that they're working with the Belly Up (!!!) to have her on the 16th of August (not cool for the Folks Fest people).

Anyone know where the third might be? Maybe the Boulder Theater?
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby lily » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:33 pm

is ANYONE else going to either of the CO dates? I'll be at both and it'd be fun to see some familiar faces.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:20 pm

Have a great time at the shows and let us know how they were!

Livin' vicariously through you...

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Kelsea » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:02 pm

1. New/ Cover song ‘Old Saint Christopher’ was part of the lyrics. I’ll have to go back and look at the video tomorrow.
2. Love Throw a Line
3. Chief!!!
4. Rain (so appropriate)
5. New Song (I can get the lyrics on this one too if anyone wants)
6. Long Ride Home
7. Go Now!!!!
8. Truth #2 (what she called Italian Cajun)
9. Tony!!! (I never thought I’d hear this one. Kevin I’m thanking you for starting that songs you want to hear live thread!)
10. Mil Besos
11. Be Careful
12. Stay on the Ride
13. No Bad News
14. Up To The Mountain (Amazing version with the bass and piano. Sounded very close to the album version but with even more amazing vocals)

I might be missing something out of the above list. I thought she could have played a few more songs cause the majority of the crowed was clearly there for her. Doug wasn’t there, but Michael and Frank were. I have to say it feels a little odd without Doug, but Patty didn’t miss a beat. Frank played upright bass and there was a new accordion/ piano player, I couldn’t understand the name though. He was amazing. I think this is going to be the touring group and it makes for a great combination. Patty said she’s been writing some new songs and the one she did play was amazing! It reminded me lot of the songs on Impossible Dream and her vocals were beautiful. The first song was a soul/ blues one that Patty absolutely owned. That one got the whole crowed up and dancing within 30 seconds. I have a feeling this upcoming tour will be a special one. I took some video as well.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Thanks Kelsea

I'm sooooo glad you got to hear Tony. So now she HAS to play Riding with the Amazons in Saratoga. Otherwise it just wouldn't be fair now, would it?

I can't wait to hear the new songs, too. What fun! And I think it's cool that she's not playing so many songs from CRT. She must be a little tired of those songs now.

Have a GREAT second show!!!

Kevin

p.s. The first song wasn't The Moon and St. Christopher by Mary Chapin Carpenter, was it? It's a ballad, and I think you said the first song was kind of bluesy.
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby jessebearauntie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:23 am

Hey Kelsea:

Thanks for the fast posting of the set list and performance info on Patty's CO show! I was curious about her touring band with Doug potentially missing in action since he's helping out with John Hiatt's tour this summer. Sounds like Patty is covering all the guitar duties herself (I'm just wondering who is going to be monitoring her capo placement! - LOL).

I'm excited that Patty will be playing some new material, as well as a good sprinkling of songs from most of her CDs.

Kevin and I are both going to her Mountain Winery concert in Saratoga in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping what you experienced will be close to what we are in for at that show, but with the addition of "Riding with the Amazons" (right Kevin?!).

Karen
jessebearauntie
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby sfboy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:02 am

Right, Karen!!!!! Can I ask for Florida, too, or is that being just downright greedy?

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:43 am

Holy cow though, I don't know what the heck was going on wither jacket... it was very... unique. Photos are going up now (www.flickr.com/nwagner/), and I have it all taped too but I won't be able to get that out until after Aspen (which if all goes well...).

She also seriously mis-started on Tony, and she said she was going to do Mil Besos in Italian, but it sure sounded Spanish to me...

Where were you standing Kelsea? I didn't see you. Then again we all looked the same in our rain gear.

Her jacket says "we will wear compassion on our chests" and had a picture of the Virgin Mary on the bottom, and a Crucifix on the back along with a giant Jesus. I'm not actually sure what the images on the top half are still...

And no, the St. Christopher song was not the MCC one. It was however the Tom Waits song, Hang On St. Christopher.
Lyrics
Hang on st. christopher through the smoke
and the oil
Buckle down the rumble seat
let the radiator boil
got an overhead downshift
and a two dollar grill
got an 85 cabin
on an 85 hill
Hang on st. christopher on the passenger side
open it up tonight the devil can ride
hang on st. christopher with a barrel house dog
kick me up mt. baldy
throw me out in the fog
tear a hole in the jack pot
drive a stake through his heart
do a 100 on the grapevine
do a jump on the start
hang on st. christopher now don't let me go
get me to reno and bring it in low, yeah
hang on st. christopher with the hammer to the floor
put a hi ball in the crank case
nail a crow to the door
get a bottle for the jockey
gimme a 294
there's a 750 norton bustin down january's door
hang on st. christopher on the passenger side
hang on st. christopher now don't let me go
get to me reno got to bring it in low
put my baby on the flat car
got to burn down the caboose
get 'em all jacked up on whiskey
then we'll turn the mad dog loose
hang on st. christopher on the passenger side
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Kelsea » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:59 pm

Kevin: You would be correct she now owes you a rollicking version of ‘Riding With The Amazons’, it’s the right thing to do. I’m sure Patty’s on it :D. Maybe you could see the first accordian version lol. You can ask for Florida but you better call me the second she starts in on it :wink: I agree on the CRT thing too, I was excited to see a more varied setlist. Plus having someone there to play accordion and piano opens up a ton of songs from 1000 Kisses, Silver Bell and even Impossible Dream. Which was evident last night. I would love to see this tour in a venue, however I don’t think I can make the Aspen show. Even for Colorado this weather is crazy! Lily was right the song was a Tom Waits cover. Who knew there were so many St. Christopher’s out there. Have fun at the show let me know how it goes!

Hey Karen: You’ve got no worries on the touring band, I assume this is the group she’ll have for a little while. Haha she did have a few guitar tech moments, she started one song with the wrong guitar and restarted Tony. No big deal though, it just makes her human. Patty asked if the audience wanted her to just scrap Tony, but we weren’t letting her off that easy. I would have been devastated if she hadn’t played the whole song lol. It sounded like she has a few new songs built up, so imagine there will be at least a couple news ones. Have fun at the Mountain Winery show you two!

I kind of liked Patty’s jacket, plus lord knows she needed something to stay warm with. She seemed really confident and to be having a blast which was nice to see. The crowed couldn’t have been more into her set.

Nichole: Thanks for posting some pictures. If you had been looking in my general area I doubt you would have been able to spot me as bundled up as I was. I lost my group a few times due to rain gear/ tarp confusion. Lets see, I was over to the right of the stage like 3 tarps back from the fence.

I’ll try to post some video later tonight or tomorrow. Be warned it’s not the best quality by any standards. I would say some tentative titles for the new song could be ‘I Don’t Know Nothing Bout Tomorrows’, “Forever Wherever I Go”, “The Old Highway” or “Dancing With You Across The Border”. It is a heartbreakingly beautiful song, easily becoming one of my favorites. It made at least 3 people next to me cry and secretly I was a little misty eyed myself, but if anyone asks I just had rain in my eyes. The notes she hits and vocals are amazing. It reminds me of something I just can’t think of what at the moment. I feel like it’s a song that would have fit perfectly with 1K, ID or CRT. I have video but feel a little bad about posting it since it’s a new song. So I’m going to wait a little bit on that, but here are the lyrics with some help from Matt (thanks!).

We've run a long long way down the highway
Someone flew by in a balloon
The sun was going down over a valley
To the south, you could see the moon
I don't know nothing about tomorrows
Never did, don't expect I'll ever know
But I want to remember you that way
Forever, wherever I go

The radio stopped playing our music
All the songs we used to know the words to
I guess we're going the way of the old highway
Cutting wilder and wilder going through
Sometimes I feel like I'm just speeding
With no headlights down a dark and dusty hill
Oh, I don't know nothing about tomorrows
I don't expect I ever will

Dancing with you across the border
A string of lights and music everywhere
Later on I held my breath to hear you breathing
While you were dreaming of something else somewhere
Oh, I don't know nothing about tomorrows
They advertise, but sometimes never show
But I want to remember you that way
Forever, wherever I go
Forever, wherever I go
Last edited by Kelsea on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby jessebearauntie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:24 pm

Kudos to Kelsea and Nichole for the quick updates to Pattynet and uploading of photos to Flickr (Nichole) and video to YouTube (Kelsea) from Patty's Rocky Mountain Folk Festival show on Friday. You ladies gave us great stuff to check out within hours of the show! I've really enjoyed your posts/photos/video! Thanks!

Karen
jessebearauntie
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby sfboy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:53 pm

I just watched the Chief video up on Youtube. Kelsea, you're a real trouper!! It was really raining. Was it cold? Man...anyway, thanks soooo much for the video and the review. It really whetted my appetite for the Saratoga show. And the pictures are great, too.

Technology + great people = a very happy camper (namely, me, and I"m sure others)

Kelsea and Nichole ROCK!!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:49 am

Holy crap. If the Folks Fest show was enough to make one die and go to heaven, I think I'm swimming in chocolate or something

Set :
Hang On St Christopher (she had lyrics printed out for this one)
Love Throw
Chief
Rain
Change
The new song about balloons -- her set list just said "solo" so I still don't know what she calls it...
Time Turns Us Down
Mavis Staples song
Go Now
Truth #2
Tony
Mil Besos
Be Careful
Top of the World
Stay on the Ride
No Bad News
MLK Song
Long Ride Home
Lonely Avenue (Ray Charles) (and lyrics written out for this too)

She came out and did one last encore, which was an acapella number, I can't recall if I've heard it somewhere but it involved banker's shoes and stuff, I have it taped.
Last edited by lily on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:00 am

Change and Time Turns Us Down AND another new song....COOL!!! I hope the weather was a little better.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:02 am

It was indoors, and it wasn't raining! It did apparently rain on their way up, and snow too. But it was nice when they got up there.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby lily » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:05 am

Yay for pics. I almost didn't bring my camera too, because the last time she played there they were serious about the camera policy.

She had on some serious boots, up to her knee, and the dress was actually a really pretty green, though it shows up weird in the photos.

The rest of the photos are here: http://flickr.com/photos/nwagner/sets/72157606778396599/
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Next

Return to Shows & Meetups