Wheeler Opera House: Aspen, CO

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Wheeler Opera House: Aspen, CO

Postby Kelsea » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:14 pm

Patty and Oates together at last, I've been waiting lol. I guess Scott Miller is the other artist in the series.

Copied from the website:

The Wheeler Opera House, Jazz Aspen Snowmass, and John Oates present
JOHN OATES AND PATTY GRIFFIN
The Stories Behind the Songs
Sunday, February 15, 7:30 pm

Tickets: $25 adult, $20 student 18 and under, $50 limited premium; $69 adult series subscription, $49.50 student series subscription

The Wheeler Opera House and John Oates, along with Jazz Aspen Snowmass, present a three-concert singer/songwriter series this winter at the Wheeler featuring musicians Patty Griffin, Tift Merritt, and Jimmy Wayne. John Oates and each performer will be joined by a second noted professional songwriter, for each ninety-minute performance. The performances will offer a unique combination of music and conversation in an intimate program exposing audiences to the magic (and humor!) of the songwriting process. In addition, young aspiring songwriters who have been working with Oates in the Roaring Fork Valley Schools will present their music at each performance.

John Oates, Aspen local and half of superstar duo Hall and Oates will act as emcee and will perform with the guest artists.

Critically acclaimed singer/songwriter Patty Griffin is a vital and singular music force. In addition to writing music for herself, she has penned tunes for a wide variety of musicians -- spanning from Bette Midler to the Dixie Chicks to Kelly Clarkson. Her latest album, Children Running Through, belies her persistent sensitive-singer-songwriter image and echoes a variety of styles, most notably the classic R&B and gospel music that have long been a source of inspiration for the artist.

http://www.wheeleroperahouse.com/wheele ... fm?ID=1225
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:39 am

Sweet. Just pulled row AA. Psyched.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:23 pm

I'll be in Breckenridge while that's happening! Looks like a 3-hour drive each way though -- so close and yet so far. Wonder if I can rent a helicopter to fly through Independence Pass...

Have a great time, Kelsea & Nichole!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby lily » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 pm

It's 5 from where I am Keith... lame excuse lol. My geography is sketchy but if from Boulder you pass Breckenridge, I'm sure you'd be welcome to hitch a ride with me...

Anyone else going? Anyone want to carpool from the Denver Boulder area?

Kelsea, are you going?
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:26 pm

lily wrote:It's 5 from where I am Keith... lame excuse lol. My geography is sketchy but if from Boulder you pass Breckenridge, I'm sure you'd be welcome to hitch a ride with me...

Well, I suppose it is -- I've actually driven 5+ hours myself to see Patty, but I'll be in the middle of a family ski vacation with a bunch of my in-laws and my wife Karen is not a big live music fan. She's enough of a concert widow already without me disappearing for 8 hours to see a show in the middle of our vacation, lol. Luckily I'll finally be getting a Patty fix not long after in NYC and Boston.

But thanks for the offer! Image
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kelsea » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:38 pm

No, but I wish I was. Too short of notice to try and pull it together this time. I'll just have to imagine Patty and Oates singing together. Have a good time though Nichole and anyone else going. Hope you enjoy your time in Colorado Keith!
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby KarenL » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:45 am

Have a great time, Nichole. I'd love to see Patty and Tift together, especially since I heard that amazing interview Russell posted a short time ago. I never thought I'd see the day of Patty and Oates, lol. Interesting combination! Wish I could go. Thanks for the information, Kelsea!
KarenL
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby lily » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi Karen,

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it, but I don't think it's Tift there too... it's just Patty, Scott and John. Tift is another show.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby lily » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:02 pm

What an amazing night. Good stories, (many of which seemed to involved a tipsy Patty) and some great songs. The highlight of the night - all of them singing "People Get Ready" during the encore.

Some pics until I get a full review up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nwagner/se ... 970307992/
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:20 pm

Wow. Those are some of the best photos of Patty. Ever.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:23 pm

GREAT PICS! Patty looks so darn happy. Thanks!

Kevin
p.s. Did they do Rich Girl?
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:47 pm

Really beautiful shots, lily. Sounds like a fantastic time ... thanks for sharing it with us!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 am

Thanks Kevin and Outta!

It was a great show, and Patty seemed to be having a great time. She kinda missed the point about it being a "songwriters" event and her being a "songwriter" and only played two of her own songs. But there was lots of laughing and a lot of hinting at perhaps the night before had been slightly wild.

Here's the full write-up: http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/concert/patty-griffin-scott-miller-wheeler-opera-house-co/
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:36 am

Wow. What a treat to read a transcript of the show and to see your pictures Nichole. It's true, those are really great photos of Patty! I love the picture at the very end where the three of them are together too. Thanks so much for this!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:15 am

Those pictures are incredibly good! And I love your detailed story on the show. Together, they made me feel like I was there, and I didn't even have to get out in the snow. Many thanks, Nichole.
Last edited by Russell on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Next

Return to Shows & Meetups