3 Girls in Kingston, NY on 2/21/09

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

3 Girls in Kingston, NY on 2/21/09

Postby Arlene » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:44 pm

Last night's show in Kingston was incredible and except for about four songs, the set list was completely different from Friday night's show at The Beacon in NYC. Malcolm Burn, who lives in Kingston, sat in the whole night providing subtle accompanyment on guitar, keyboards and harmonica. (Yes-- THAT Malcolm Burn: the one who had produced the ill-fated full band version of Living With Ghosts that has never been released. To his credit, he's also the one who introduced Patty to Emmylou.)

Here's the set list-- many of Emmylou's songs were from Red Dirt Girl, which Malcolm Burn produced:

All: To Know Him Is To Love Him (for Buddy)
Patty: Making Pies (she said that Kingston, which is a depressed North Eastern city, reminded her of this song)
Shawn: Tennessee
Emmylou: Red Dirt Girl
Patty: Wade In The Water
Shawn: It Makes No Difference (Band cover)
Emmylou: Jupiter's Rising (Shawn "fined" her for singing a "happy" song)
Patty: new song, unsure of title, maybe Little Yellow House-- has about 8 verses and Patty's still working on getting down the final version)
Shawn: These Four Walls
Emmylou: Strong Hand
Patty: Heavenly Day
Shawn: Hold On
Emmylou: Bang The Drum Slowly
Patty: Backwater Blues
Shawn: In A Matter of Minutes
Emmylou: Boy From Tupulo
Patty: Love Is A Dud
Shawn: I'll Be Back
Emmylou: Sweet Old World
Patty: Tomorrow Night
Shawn: Crazy
All: We Shall All Be Reunited (traditional gospel number that Patty has recorded for the record with Buddy)
Encores
All: Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby
All: Mary

BTW. After the show, I was able to get from Emmylou some autographed tour posters, T-shirts, and other stuff, which I'll be auctioning off on eBay to raise money for The Keeta Fund-- a charity established through the Humane Society in Emmylou's honor to raise money for animals displaced or made homeless as a result of natural disasters. Once the Humane Society puts up its new web page for the Keeta Fund, I'll put up a post about the auctions.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks for the report, Arlene. Wasn't Malcolm Burn also one of the three producers that worked on Silver Bell?
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Re: 3 Girls in Kingston, NY on 2/21/09

Postby Arlene » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:40 am

Tonto Yoder wrote:
Arlene wrote: except for about four songs, the set list was completely different from Friday night's show at The Beacon in NYC.

Is it just me, or is Emmylou's song selection more repetitive than Patty's/ Shawn's??
Seems like she does "Red Dirt Girl" every night.

It's not just you. Her selection IS more repetitive and I think it's because she doesn't tune her own guitar on stage, which means that she has to decide on her set list in advance so that Maple Byrne can bring out for her a pre-tuned guitar. She doesn't leave herself the option of deciding on the spur of the moment what song she is going to play. (Obviously, she CAN tune a guitar on stage, but chooses not to-- as she wryly observed during one recent concert I attended: "I'm from that generation who grew up viewing tuning a "male" thing.")
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks. I wondered why, since she's obviously got a gazillion songs to choose from.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:51 am

Seems Patty's taking the opportunity to try out her new material in any case, so hurrah for that. No chance to chat with Patty afterwards? Does she disappear?
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Shows & Meetups