3 Girls & Their Buddy Toronto 6/5/09

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

3 Girls & Their Buddy Toronto 6/5/09

Postby Arlene » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:14 pm

FYI. Here's a "review" by Jenn (Acoustic 1) on emmylou.net of the Toronto 3 Girls and Their Buddy show:

Here's the setlist, to the best of my ability.
They were on a real Canadian kick, starting with Neil Young, then discussing connections to Canada, The Band, The McGarrigles, etc. A very loose set, which was very informal & truly a treat:

1) Birds (Patty on lead, but amazing harmoonies from E & S)( Neil Young cover)
2) Easy From Now On- Emmylou
3) Wade In the Water- Patty
4) Twilight- Shawn (cover of The Band)
5) Walk Away Renee- Buddy. Harmony by Emmy. Shawn messed up, so it was kind of weird with only the 2 parts & no third voice. Shawn asked to redo a verse after it was over.
6) Blackhawk- Emmy with Buddy on Harmony
7) Making Pies- Patty
8) Polaroids- Shawn
9) Gasoline & Matches- Buddy with Patty on harmony. She messed it up and actually made him stop the song & restart so that she could get the harmonies right
10) Love & Happiness- Emmylou & Shawn
11) I'm Gonna Miss You When You're Gone- Patty
12) Acadian Driftwood- Shawn (Band cover) Very impressive that she knew all these lyrics. Clearly an unrehearsed song with Emmy & Buddy joining a bit on harmony near the end.
13) Shelter Me- Buddy & Patty
14) All I Left Behind- Emmy with Patty & Shawn doing the McGarrigle parts
15) Mom & Dad's Waltz- Patty (Lefty Frizell cover with Emmy on exquisite harmonies)
16) That's the Way Love Goes- Shawn (continuing the Lefty Frizell covers theme)
17) Buddy did a couple of lines of another Lefty song, but then did
All My Tears with Emmy. Really rocked it- I've never heard it so raw & edgy
18)Prayer in Open D- Emmy
19) Top of The World- Patty
20) That Don't Worry Me Now- Shawn
21) ??? Buddy. Song written by a friend named Steve? has lyric "deep inside your heart of hearts"
22) We Shall All Be Reunited- All
ENCORE
23) Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby- 3 Girls acappella
24)There's A Rugged Road- Shawn with awesome harmonies by all 3
25) Mary- Patty with Emmy harmony & a bit of Shawn

This was a great evening. They were very relaxed & trying to one up each other with their Canadiana. (Shawn won for singing the Ontario theme song from when she lived here for a year in grade 6, but Emmy tried hard by saying she had a child by a Canadian.

A very fun night. Great to see you, Ken.
Might be some clips on youtube soon......
Peace,
Jennifer

And here's a newspaper review from the Toronto Sun:

Massey Hall, Toronto - June 5, 2009

By JANE STEVENSON - Sun Media

TORONTO - Perhaps it was because they were in the hallowed place that was the scene of Neil Young's seminal 1971 live recording that turned Friday night's concert by Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin, Shawn Colvin and Buddy Miller at Massey Hall into one big Canadian love-fest.

Launching the two hour and 10 minute show, part of Luminato's opening night festivities, with Young's Birds was the opening salvo in what became an ongoing joke about which one of the three female artists (from the U.S. south, eastern seaboard, and midwest respectively) could claim to be more Canadian.

Griffin said her great-grandparents were from the East Coast while Colvin scored major points for having gone to Grade 6 in London, Ont, even spontaneously belting out the provincial song, A Place To Stand, while Ontario Premier Dalton McGinty was in the audience no less.

But it was Harris who had the best line of the night.

"I did have a daughter with a Canadian," mugged the striking silver-haired 62-year-old singer with the ethereal voice, referring to ex-husband and producer Brian Ahern.

Canadian content aside, the idea of the concert, coined Three Girls and Their Buddy, is a relatively simple, if effective one, now in its second year of touring.

Get four distinguished singer-songwriters who have all collaborated together in the past and currently - Miller produced Griffin's new gospel collection, Downtown Church, due later this year - and assemble them on one stage, seated in a semi-circle and taking turns to sing lead on one song after the other (both their own material and covers) on mostly acoustic guitars.

It helped that, in this case, the three female artists possess some of the most distinctive voices in acoustic country-folk-pop - Harris' otherworldly instrument, Griffin's heartbreaking sound, and Colvin's rich, warm tone.

They were heard both alone and in glorious harmony while Miller, who recently recovered from a triple bypass after a show with the ladies in Baltimore back in February, provided the rock-blues backbone on electric instruments, a huge voice of his own, and some comic relief.

"Wanna see my scar?" said Miller, as Harris explained it was their female road manager who practically threw him over her shoulder and got him to the emergency room at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world," added Miller with a big, broad smile.

Some of the most striking songs were covers, like the Griffin's take on the gospel song, Wade In The Water, Colvin's version of the The Band's Twilight, and Arcadian Driftwood - "I could sing Band songs all night," she claimed - and Lefty Frizzell's That's The Way Love Goes, and Miller's animated rendition of The Left Banke's Walk Away Renee.

As for their own material, Harris' Blackhawk, a collaboration with Canadian Daniel Lanois, Love and Happiness, featuring lyrics by Mark Knopfler, and All I Left Behind, co-written by Canadian folk duo royalty Kate and Anna McGarrigle, were stunning, as was Griffin's Making Pies, I'm Going To Miss You When You're Gone and the show-ending Mary.

The two women joked about their love of "super sad songs" and shoes after Harris performed the heartwrenching Prayer In Open D and Griffin trotted out the equally somber Top Of The World.

"Shoes for the blues," said Harris. "Super sad songs are good. I know I've made a career out of them."

Also effective was the group's take on the gospel number, We Shall Be Reunited, and the encore a capella version of Go To Sleep Little Baby, featuring Harris, Colvin and Griffin standing up and gathered around a microphone, bluegrass style.
Last edited by Arlene on Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:17 pm

"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Re: 3 Girls & Their Buddy Toronto 6/5/09

Postby Russell » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Thanks for the posts, Arlene.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Shows & Meetups