Three Girls and Their Buddy - Chicago/Ravinia

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Three Girls and Their Buddy - Chicago/Ravinia

Postby elcorazon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:54 pm

What a great show tonight!! No setlist from me but Patty played a song from Downtown Church(If I had My Way I'd Tear this Building Down?), Chief, Up to the Mountain, Stay on the Ride, and I am not a Bad Man (new song), plus they did Mary as the final encore (and they did another Downtown Church song as a regular finale - We Shall all be Reunited?).

show was gorgeous. Cold night. all the collaborations were tasteful and perfect. Emmy's song choices were terrific as were Shawn's. And Buddy's incredible. Terrific guitarist, and those vocals, and a funny guy as well.

Emmy played my favorite song of hers, "Prayer in Open D", and the great Lucinda song, "Sweet Old World", as well as "The Pearl" and "Imagine"... Shawn did "I Don't Know Why", "Shotgun Down the Avalanche", "If These Walls Could Speak" (Jimmy Webb), a Crowded House song...

Buddy did "All My Tears", "Shelter Me", "Gasoline and Matches", a great song with Emmy that I can't remember the name of, and a wonderful cover of a song by a songwriter named Bruton (Heart of Hearts)? who recently passed away.

Really there wasn't a bad song all night. Just wish it were 20 degrees warmer.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks for that post. Looks like a great set list-- especially Emmylou's selections.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 am

I should add they opened up with "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues", each of the girls trading leads.

Shawn was so cold she had a blanket, which she had to keep taking off of her lap in order to play.

Emmy told her engineer joke...

An optimist says the glass is half full.
A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
An engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Rapport was great. Patty flubbed the entry into Gasoline and Matches.

Buddy talked about how great he's doing after his heart attack, before playing "Heart of Hearts", which was truly poignant after telling the story of Bruton's recent passing as he was fighting his 3rd bout with cancer. Especially tear-inducing for us as one of my friends with us is currently battling cancer (her second battle), had to be hard on her.

Patty did talk about "Downtown Church" but didn't mention when it would be released. She kept calling it her "lapsed Catholic Gospel record".

I'll throw in more details as they come to mind.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:03 pm

elcorazon wrote:Emmy told her engineer joke...

An optimist says the glass is half full.
A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
An engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Emmylou's brother is an engineer. On two or three other occasions over the years, when waiting for sound problems to be resolved, I've heard her tell other "engineer" jokes. Apparently it's a whole joke-telling genre....
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Re: Three Girls and Their Buddy - Chicago/Ravinia

Postby beensaved » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:07 pm

elcorazon wrote:a Crowded House song...

A great Crowded House song...Private Universe. She also played "Summer Dress"

Buddy was really good too.

Based on the new stuff Patty played, I can't wait for the new album!
“I love cats, I just can’t seem to finish one by myself”
beensaved
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby elcorazon » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:08 pm

yeah, Summer Dress was great. And Patty's gospel record's gonna rock, I think.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:02 pm

Wow! Sounds like a great show. I really like the song selections (Emmylou's is particularly solid) and I'm glad that Patty's keeping "I Am Not A Bad Man" alive. I hadn't seen it in a set list for a while and was beginning to worry.

For those who don't know Stephen Bruton or "Heart of Hearts", someone recently posted a really good video of Steve performing the song in Germany with The Resentments that might help you appreciate Buddy's decision to cover the song:

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G5P-q7Nmy9s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G5P-q7Nmy9s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks for the recounts on the show, Jon. Sounds like a great one.

And thanks for that video, Russell.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Shows & Meetups