Mountain Winery 3 Girls and Their Buddy Show

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Mountain Winery 3 Girls and Their Buddy Show

Postby sfboy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:28 pm

I ended up coming back from Turkey a few weeks early and can now go to this show. If anyone has two decent to good tickets to sell, please send me a private message or leave a message here on this thread. Thanks so much!
Kevin

[/b]
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:30 am

A proper review will be up tomorrow morning but in the mean time...

Transcendent. It was all just amazing.

Patty's songs:
1. Sad Mood
2. Tear This Building Down
3. Rain
4. A song recorded by Merle Haggard which someone else wrote.
5. Flaming Red

encores:
We Shall Be United
Mary

I forgot to take a pen and paper to take notes, so this is all by memory, and tomorrow who knows what I'll remember. Karen, can you help me out?

Oh, and Patty sang an a capella snippet of the Star Trek theme song. It was really cool.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:17 am

I think it's cool she's got "If I had my way" in her repetoire now. (The Samson and Delilah song). I used to just love the Peter Paul and Mary version of that as a kid! It's a powerful song.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:06 am

sfboy wrote:4. A song recorded by Merle Haggard which someone else wrote.

Could this be "The Way I Am?"
Great song.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:36 am

marybeth wrote:I think it's cool she's got "If I had my way" in her repetoire now. (The Samson and Delilah song). I used to just love the Peter Paul and Mary version of that as a kid! It's a powerful song.

IMO, that PP&M recording is the best recording of a gospel song, period.

But, for what must have been a special moment for many of those at the show last night, click here.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby jessebearauntie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi Gang:

What a great show by Three Girls and Their Buddy last night at the Mountain Winery! Here's an addition to Kevin's post about the setlist:

1. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues – All
2. How She Could Sing the Wildwood Flower – Emmylou
3. Sad Mood (Sam Cooke) – Patty
4. Tennessee – Shawn
5. All My Tears – Buddy with Emmylou
6. Moon Song – Emmylou
7. Rain – Patty
8. There’s a Rugged Road – Shawn with Emmylou and Patty
9. Worry Too Much – Buddy
10. This is to Mother You – Emmylou
11. If I Had My Way, I’d Tear This Building Down (Blind Willy Johnson) – Patty
12. Ricochet in Time – Shawn
13. Gasoline & Matches – Buddy and Patty
14. Rock of Ages (title?) – Emmylou
15. The Way That I Am (Sonny Throckmorton) – Patty
16. White Line Fever – Shawn
17. Poison Love – Buddy and Shawn
18. Boy from Tupelo – Emmylou
19. Flaming Red – Patty
20. That Don’t Worry Me Now – Shawn
21. Heart of Hearts - Buddy
22. We Shall All be Reunited – All
23. Didn’t Leave Nobody but the Baby – All
24. I’ll be There – All
25. Mary – Patty with Emmylou and Shawn
Last edited by jessebearauntie on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jessebearauntie
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby sfboy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Great job, Karen. Thank God you did all the work! (The one Emmy song is Prayer in Open D (or is it G? I Can't remember now).

OK, so some random thoughts. This concert was stunning. Karen, do you agree? They were all in amazing form. I"m not a huge Shawn Colvin fan anymore but I thought she was just stellar. I really liked her song selection. White Line Fever was amazing. There were so many songs where they sang just brilliant harmonies.

Prayer in Open D is my all time favorite Emmy song, and I hadn't been reading the set lists so I had no idea that she was doing that song. It was just achingly gorgeous. The only songs that I thought fell a little flat were Sad Mood (maybe just because I don't think it's such a great song) and This Is To Mother You. But even those were nice. They just didn't burn like the other songs.

Rain was amazing live. I think that people who hadn't heard Patty live before were amazed because in Sad Mood she didn't really cut loose. But in Rain, she wailed. If I Had My Way had me just begging for Patty to release Downtown Church (is that the name?) It was amazing. And what can I say about Flaming Red. That slow burn, and then the full on vocals. It's such a show stopper live.

I thought Shawn Ricochet in Time was just lovely. Ditto That Don't Worry Me Now. She was really on. And Buddy's songs were just great. All My Tears was so powerful, and Gasoline and Matches was worth the price of admission i and of itself. I just can't say how much I loved this show.

And, as you can see, they did a what must have been very last minute tribute to Michael Jackson. I think that Shawn must have known it already because she played guitar and didn't use a lyrics sheet. They really pulled it off though. It was a very nice gesture. And Mary was, as always, just a gorgeous way to end the show. I really really really hope that they release one of these shows. I heard someone in the crowd saying that he heard that it was going to be a compilation and not from one show. Why don't they put all these shows up for sale like Tori Amos and Counting Crows? I know that people would be multiple shows. Ahh, to dream....

Anyway, Karen, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. We have to talk!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Shows & Meetups