NYC Town Hall Shows June 8 and 9

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

NYC Town Hall Shows June 8 and 9

Postby Arlene » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:45 am

If any other board members are going and want to meet up with Keith, Rob (only for Tues), Gerry, Adrianna and moi:

Patty Griffin with special guest Buddy Miller
Town Hall, New York, NY
Tue, Jun 8, 2010 08:00 PM
Seat location: section ORCH, row G, seats 114-122

Patty Griffin with special guest Buddy Miller
Town Hall, New York, NY
Wed, Jun 9, 2010 08:00 PM
Seat location: section ORCH, row G, seats 100-106

:D 8) :lol: :wink:
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:52 am

It was great to see Keith, Rob and Gerry at last night's Town Hall show in NYC. We're all reconvening same place, same time, tonight but I don't see how tonight's show will be able to top last night's.

I guess I should have predicted it but I enjoy the Downtown Church material performed live so much more than I enjoyed it on the record. And I second the comments of others who say they've NEVER seen Patty seem to feel so comfortable on stage before. In addition to the material from the latest album, she performed some older material, including Standing, Love Throw A Line and Up To The Mountain, as well as some covers, including Waylon Jennings' "I Do Believe," which she said she would have included on Downtown Church if she had heard it before she recorded that album. (I think I heard or read somewhere that she's recorded the song for a forthcoming tribute album to Jennings that is being produced by his widow, Jessi Colter.)

Even if you're not much of a Buddy Miller fan, I urge you to get to the show in time for his opening set-- last night Patty sang harmony on every song he sang except his opening and closing numbers. She joked when she came out for her own set that she pays Buddy $50 every night to let her sing with him, and that she'd be happy touring the country for the rest of her life solely as Buddy Miller's back-up singer. Obviously, none of us would ever want that to happen but her comments give you a sense of just how much she seems to be enjoying herself singing with him.

The only bit of news that came out was that when in Nashville on June 15th for the show at The Ryman, both Patty and Buddy will be performing at either a recording session or a live performance, children's songs of Tom T. Hall-- Patty will be singing "I Love" (little baby duck, old pick-up trucks, slow-moving trains, and rain, etc.) and Buddy will be signing "Sneaky Snake." I think they're singing the songs for a record that is being made but it was unclear from their comments.

Anyway, that's all for now but one other thought-- I can't emphasize enough how great this band backing Patty is. I was wondering how it would work out to have both Doug Lancio and Buddy Miller on guitars but this group REALLY sounds great together. (As you may have read, in addition to Doug and Buddy on guitars, the other musicians are Marco Giovino on drums, Frank Swart on stand-up bass, and Jon Deaderick on keyboards. )
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

NYC Town Hall Shows...

Postby jmp31 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:14 pm

jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Arlene wrote:It was great to see Keith, Rob and Gerry at last night's Town Hall show in NYC. We're all reconvening same place, same time, tonight but I don't see how tonight's show will be able to top last night's.

It didn't. Or maybe it did.

Hard to know when the two people sitting in front of us were chirping away. One of them kept raising her hands in the air giving some sort of heavy metal hand sign (I enjoy me some heavy metal from time to time, but jeez, at a Patty show?). She also decided that when Shawn Colvin and Patty were singing, that now would be a good time to take out her iPhone and start snapping away. After they yakked through another song (a fairly quiet one at that), I leaned in and informed them that there was a bar next door (which there is). One of them glowered at me and subsequently turned her head and did that a few more times.

So sorry to interrupt your hand raising, photography-worthy Patty show. You know, the same one you talked through with your friend.

Pathetic.

But it was a great show. Just hard to know if it was better than Tuesday night, which was awesome all around. Buddy Miller was awesome and thankfully, the second night, those twits weren't there for his set.

I also finally heard the new album. Yes, I had been holding out to hear it live. And I was not disappointed. Not that I thought I would be.

And thanks for the ticket, Arlene. I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again: you're a true mensch.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:37 pm

One other note-- I haven't read anyone comment on it but Patty and Buddy have teamed up on this tour to encourage concert goers and their fans to sponsor a child through World Vision. The organization's representative told me that Patty was the one who decided that she wanted the children whose bios were displayed at the table at these concerts to be from Africa and to have, or be the children of people who have, AIDS or HIV. I thought it was interesting that she would make that decision. There's lots of reasons I admire Patty and Buddy--- just adding another to the list....
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Shows & Meetups