Patty (just Patty) at Newport, 07-28-2012

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Patty (just Patty) at Newport, 07-28-2012

Postby keith from ny » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Wonderful to finally see Patty singing her own canon instead of Led Zeppelin's here at the Newport Folk Festival! She played unaccompanied and did a great selection of songs that included Forgiveness, Flaming Red, No Bad News, Cold As It Gets (which I've never seen her do before), Heavenly Day, Waiting For My Child plus a couple of songs from the forthcoming new album which sounded great. She said she was very nervous about playing alone after so long (you'd never know it from the performance), and said the rumors she was married were not true, insisting that they're saving up so they can get a really good DJ for the wedding lol.

Wonderful also catching up with Gilly and hanging out with my concert pals Arlene and Adriana (aka the A team). My sister Karyn is here too, her first time seeing Patty and she loved her! Only sorry Nicole had to work today and couldn't be here.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Re: Patty (just Patty) at Newport, 07-28-2012

Postby Turk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Yay, Keith!

Thanks for the report! So, Patty was completely solo, huh? I'm sure it's been fun. Glad your sister and Gilly could make it along with Arlene and your other friend. Are y'all staying for tomorrow's lineup?

Thanks again!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby jmp31 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks so much for the report, Keith! I trust there was a good and appreciative turnout for her. I wonder if she opted not tobe live-streamed because she was feeling rusty and nervous about being solo? Did she say when we might expect her new cd to be released?
Jane
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby jmp31 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:34 am

this nice write-upjust popped up on the internet:
http://wers.org/2012/07/28/newport-folk ... ty-griffin.
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:46 am

That was very cool.
Thanks, Jane.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby jmp31 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Another one, with reference to a new song to be on Patty's forthcoming CD:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/enter ... -festival/
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 pm

"Please Don't Let Me Die in Florida" from the forthcoming album American Kid.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post sooner. Here's the set list:

01. Forgiveness
02. Flaming Red
03. Please Don't Let Me Die In Florida*
04. Wating For My Child To Come Home
05. Cold As it Gets
06. Heavenly Day
07. You Can Go Where You Wanna Go**
08. No Bad News
09. That Kind of Lonely***
10. Staying On the Ride
11. Making Pies
12. I'm Gonna Miss You When You're Gone****

*a new song I dont' know that she's ever performed before. She wrote it after her
father went to visit his brother in Florida and her uncle died while her father was visiting him there. When he came back to Maine, her father told his wife and children, "Don't let me die in Florida."

** she's performed this song at several of the 3 Girls and Their Buddy shows-- it's about her father's death and release from earthly responsibilities

***I had thought she perfomed this song in October at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival but I could be wrong and Newport might be the first time she's performed it live - it's depressing in the best sense of the word

****she's performed this "torch song" with 3 Girls and Their Buddy

I believe that all four of the asterisked songs will appear on the new album; recording of it, The American Kid, has been completed but she's unsure when it will be released. She said that "a couple of guys from the North Mississippi All-Stars" perform as backing musicians on the new album but she indicated that they aren't performing in their usual rock and roll style.

Patty commented that she hasn't done "this" (performed as the headliner) in "a long while" and went on to say that she she could have raised a kid and sent her through high school" since the last time she performed solo with just a guitar. I was thinking that she may have last performed that way in 1995 or so, which would have been around 17 years ago.... (but I think she was exaggerating).

When someone called out "congratulations" she commented, "Yeah. There are some rumors that have been going around and they aren't true. We are saving up to get a good DJ for the wedding and we're not there yet."

It was a great show. Along with seeing Alabama Shakes, Patty's set was the highlight of the festival for me-- that, and seeing and talking with Gillian. I don't know anybody who loves her job as much as Gillian. And as always, it was GREAT to spend time with Keith, his son Chris and our friend Adriana.
Last edited by Arlene on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks Arlene. REALLY wish I could've been there. Can't wait for fall tour and release of new Patty music!
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby jmp31 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks Arlene for the set list and other info. Still can't figure why NPR didn't include it in their live coverage of the fest -- unless Patty said no to them.
"That Kind of Lonely" she also performed at the West Texas Fire Relief Concert back awhile. It's on Youtube. Hope this works:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZAQBs8xiQs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZAQBs8xiQs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby jmp31 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:17 pm

Sorry, guess it didn't, but if you google Patty Griffin West Texas Fire Relief Concert YouTube you can get it.
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:32 pm

Arlene wrote:***she perfomed this song in October at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival- it's depressing in the best sense of the word

Yay, Arlene! THIS was what I was hoping to hear from you--in all my woeful glee. :D

Am excited about the new record.

I watched Alabama Shakes (great stuff) and JB on the NPR webcast.
Glad you all had a good time and great to read that Gilly is doing so well.

Thanks for the report!
Very much appreciated.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks, Jane. Found it.

http://youtu.be/rZAQBs8xiQs
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Thanks for the report and links y'all. I'm really looking forward for this new CD. :)

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Shows & Meetups