Montalvo in Saratoga show

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Montalvo in Saratoga show

Postby sfboy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:53 am

I had a great center seat about 5 rows back. Patty was wearing red high heel shows, a formal jacket and skirt, and a Mavis Staples t-shirt :) She looked great, as she always does. As has been mentioned before, there were no collaborations on this tour even though it seems like it would have been the perfect opportunity. Anyway, she did an hour or so set. Here is the setlist and some thoughts.

1. In a few More Days or maybe Tell the Angels (Patty solo at the piano) I"m not sure of the title. It's a song I've never heard before and there is nothing like that on the track listing for the new CD.
2. There Isn't One Way (from Servant of Love)
3. Faithful Son
4. Death Has a Warrant
5. Rain
6. Love Throw a Line
7. Shine a Different Way (formerly called Mando Song, from Servant of Love)
8. Coming Home to Me
9. Standing
10. Ohio
11. Hurt a Little While (from Servant of Love)
12. Up to the Mountain

I thought it was really cool that Patty came out playing songs that she knew no one would know. I thought the first part of the show was a little ragged, to be honest, but even ragged Patty is better than most everything else. She mentioned that they hadn't practiced Rain very much and I didn't think it sounded very good. Maybe it's a hard song to sing. IN any case, she really hit her stride the 2nd half of the show and I actually cried twice (during Shine a Different Way and Ohio). Coming Home to Me was stellar, as was standing, even though I don't like that song very much. Also, she did the best version of Up to the Mountain that I'd ever heard.

As for the new songs...The piano song, whatever it's called, was really nice. It's kind of a ballad and reminded me a little of Gonna Miss You When You're Gone. Both Hurt a Little While and There Isn't One Way were bluesy songs in the vein of Love Throw a Line and Stay on the Ride. I liked Hurt a Little While a lot more. And Shine a Different Way is just a new Patty classic.

All in all, I was really glad I went. I missed the first 15 minutes of Amy Helm's set, but what I did hear I liked more than when I heard her open for the Indigo Girls. And I feel really bad saying this but I wasn't all that crazy for Mavis's set. I know she's an icon and I feel guilty for not liking it more. The music was fun and got people up out of their seats, but it didn't really speak to me. Interestingly enough, she did a version of Wade in the Water which was quite different from Patty's.

I can't wait to get my hands on the new CD. I already know that I'm going to listen to the last song first. :)

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Re: Montalvo in Saratoga show

Postby elcorazon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:54 am

thanks for the review. Have my tickets for the Chicago show in the fall already! Can't wait. Excited for a full set!
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby saturdayboy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 pm

gotta agree about "standing" and "coming home to me", both sounded better than ever
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:17 pm

Kevin ~
Thanks for all that info! I'm really looking forward to the new record.

Did you get any kind of feeling that Patty's new stuff is leaning more to the spiritual side or no? Not that it matters. I'm just curious, and wondering if the Staples & gospel stuff is still motivating her.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:26 am

She played 3 new songs which are definitely on the new CD, and one song which I still haven't been able to identify. None of them were gospel. Two were bluesy, the one I can't identify was folk/jazzy, and the other one was very folksy. And the new single is also fairly folksy. So 4 or 5 of the songs don't have a gospel feeling to them, something for which I'm very very grateful. :)

I just want to know why it's coming out 2 weeks earlier in Europe. And, more importantly, how can I get my hands on a copy of it the day it comes out in Europe. Ideas anyone? :)

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:42 pm

Thanks for the info, Kevin. Am so looking forward to this. I don't know why the release is early in Europe. Maybe something to do with the label?
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Shows & Meetups