Albany

Tell us about the Patty shows you've attended, and organize/document PattyFamily meetups

Moderator: gillian

Postby marybeth » Tue May 03, 2005 3:57 pm

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Klary » Tue May 03, 2005 3:59 pm

Hey Marybeth pretty soon we'll start our own meetup thread and throw in some boozy pictures!
How the little dreams we dream
are all we can really do
Klary
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Tue May 03, 2005 6:09 pm

I'm at the point where I don't remember anything about Albany except the concert. (Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

I agree with everyone else that Patty and the band were JUST AWESOME. Standing was inspiring-- it's a number that HAS to be heard live. I loved the reworking of Silver Bell-- this interpretation is really sexy and sultry instead of as angry as the recorded version. Wade In the Water is a number that should have been written for Patty, both in terms of the range and the emotion; it's really in her wheelhouse and to further the baseball analogy, she knocks it out of the park.

Just a great, great show. (Oh. And did I hear that there was some drinking involved? :D )
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Little_Kites » Tue May 03, 2005 6:56 pm

Wowza you guys make me wanna be at a Patty show right now! Hopefully someday I'll actually get there. Anyway great reviews and photos!

Did any of you happen to get any pictures of the show?
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Fool On Fire » Tue May 03, 2005 7:57 pm

Arlene wrote:Just a great, great show. (Oh. And did I hear that there was some drinking involved? :D )

I have only one word for that comment: PattyFest. :twisted:

I'm so jealous of y'all that I could spit. But I won't.

/a thinks very hard about Chapel Hill and Atlanta and King of Prussia,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby girlgoddess » Tue May 03, 2005 11:30 pm

wow... such a great weekend. it was so great to meet people from the boards! you are all tres cool.
the show was just amazing. the sound was perfect even in the front coupla rows. patty's voice was totally there tonight. new songs are each really, really intense in their own ways.
i have Michael Ramos' album Charanga Cakewalk/Loteria de la Cumbia Lounge and totally adore it. seeing him play out on his own was awesome... and the guys did a great job on his stuff. Everyone really needs to buy this album! SO good. The only downside was that we were in assigned seats and couldn't get up and dance really.
hopefully someone will be able to post the correct lyrics for the new songs soon 'cos they're brilliant.

and now i've been awake forever and must rest 'cos we didn't do too much of that this weekend. mwahhaha.

cheers.
girl.r.
if you have poo, fling it now.
girlgoddess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby 62rvs » Wed May 04, 2005 8:01 am

Thanks for the review and GRRRRRREAT PICS!

I am SO envious!!
Would have been fantastic to be there with y'all.

-SMit
"duck...duck...duck...duck...duck...duck...GOOSE!"
62rvs
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Mis » Wed May 04, 2005 12:42 pm

Ok, now that I've detoxed and have gotten some sleep....

Last weekend was more than worth the 8-hour roundtrip drive. As you can tell by the pics that have been posted, hanging out with the PattyNet gang was definitely a highlight of the weekend. :) But you want to hear about the show! :)

I haven't seen Patty that many times, but this was definitely the best of the shows that I've seen. The venue was very cool...the acoustics and sound were superb...and even though the place was only about 3/4 full, the crowd was great. Oh, and FYI, the foot-stomping thing is not just an AKIT myth, it really works! LOL As Patty said after coming out for her second encore, "you're small, but you're lively!"

As others have mentioned, Patty was very "on" vocally, and was incredibly animated...she had more of a palatable command presence than I ever remember seeing, and she just looked like she was having a freakin' blast up there. It was great fun to watch. She didn't chat very much at all this time around, but the set was on fire.

My highlights:

Firstly, I love love love all of the new songs. There seems to be a shift in the way her stuff is going...sonically, vocally, and in the tone of her writing and I like it. A LOT.

No Bad News basically caused me fumble on the floor to try to find my jaw after it was over. SOOOOO great to see Patty turning it up and busting it out again! This one is going to get a LOT of repeat play on my stereo when it's released.

Total agreement from me on the wonder that was Standing. It was so fucking amazing, it was almost illegal.

I was soooo excited to hear Useless Desires, especially since when she played it at ACL I had someone singing/talking in my ear and there were some sound issues. It's my favorite song from ID and really is the song that got me rehooked on her music...so it made me so happy!

Up or Down is gorgeous. I really liked the way she delivered this song, as well, which was directly to the audience with a lot of eye contact. On some of her other piano songs (like Kite, which I was also excited to hear again), she seems to kind of go into the song and let it speak for itself. On UoD it was almost as if she was the character in the song, looking you in the eye, relaying the story to you conversationally. It was very cool.

Rachel can vouch for the fact that when she started playing Poor Man's House I did a little dance in my chair. hahahaha I think the people around us thought I was insane, and they would be right. LOL

And don't even get me started about Wade in the Water followed directly by the reworked Silver Bell. Several of you know what those songs do to me, so to hear them back to back was almost visceral overload. LOL This arrangement of SB is Patty at her bluesy, haughty, sultry finest, guys. Thankfully I was in public, so I managed not to drool. hahaha Both were incredibly hot. :)

I truly could go on and on, but I'll shut it now. LOL Really, it was close to a dream setlist for me. The only song not on the setlist that I would've liked to hear is Florida, but hey, no complaints. :)

I had such a great time with all of you guys there, and I can't wait to do it again in July! :) See some of you in Boston. :)

~M
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Wed May 04, 2005 2:11 pm

gillian wrote:
marybeth wrote:A question: did any of you EVER get off the beds other than to take a picture? :wink:

Short answer: No.

Well. Every now and then we had to get off the beds to go get another...um... Diet Coke. :D
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Wed May 04, 2005 3:40 pm

Melissa, thanks for a fabulous and informative review! God I hope she plays all that stuff at my concert!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Previous

Return to Shows & Meetups