Free

Discuss specific songs or Patty's music in general.

Moderator: gillian

Free

Postby Kris » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:50 pm

I think this song is one of Patty's finest, ever. I can't believe it's not a regular album track. It's just so breathtaking and moving. The more I listen to it, the deep in love with it I fall.

*Sigh*
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:57 am

Word.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:04 am

Yep, hard to fathom why she didn'T include that one.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:22 pm

I'm currently reading Salmon Rushdie's novel The Ground Beneath Her Feet (on which the U2 song by the same name is based) at the incredibly rapid pace of approximately one page per hour. Actually, I'm having too much fun reading it - I like to savor each sentence. As I read, Patty's Free keeps appearing:

Free (with annotations in italics)
by Patty Griffin

I am no longer young
I'm an old man's daughter
We got caught with the sun going down
We spent most of our days, adrift on the water
That's how I know my way around
And it's hard to be free
Freedom is just me
And the waves on the terrible sea

But love is what we want, not freedom. Who then is the unluckier man? The beloved, who is given his heart's desire and must for ever after fear its loss, or the free man, with his unlooked for liberty, naked and alone between the captive armies of the earth?* (or, perhaps, the waves on the terrible sea)

I could land with the rest of all the broken down birds
That's where I find my way home
With the rest of the faces on the face of the earth (or, perhaps, the captive armies of the earth)
Facing off with the great unknown
All the tears that we cry
Is something gone wrong
Is somebody lost
The place is long gone

Among the great struggles of man - good/evil, reason/unreason, etc. - there is also this mighty conflict between the fantasy of Home and the fantasy of Away, the dreams of roots and the mirage of a journey.*

Keep on moving baby
Keep on moving baby
Waves coming over your knees
And it's hard to be free
See some things that I see
Be some things that I be

And if you are [someone] whose songs could cross all frontiers, even the frontiers of people's hearts, then perhaps you believed that all ground could be skipped over, all frontiers would crumble before the sorcery of time. Off you'd go, off your turf, beyond family and clan and nation and race, flying untouchably over the minefields of taboo, until you stood at the last gateway, the most forbidden of all doors. Where your blood sings in your ears, "Don't even think about it". And you think about it, you cross the final frontier, and perhaps, perhaps . . . you have finally gone too far, and are destroyed.*

Wait a minute. That doesn't happen to the singer in our in the song. In the song, she doesn't cross the final frontier of freedom. Instead:

And come all the way
All the way
All the way home again

*Thoughts of Umeed Merchant, the fictional narrator in Salmon Rushdie's novel, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Songs & Music