Patty's Most Underrated Song

Discuss specific songs or Patty's music in general.

Moderator: gillian

What is Patty's most underrated song?

Not Alone
23%
Carry Me
7%
Big Daddy
No votes
Peter Pan
3%
Cold As It Gets
7%
Mother of God
30%
You'll Remember
No votes
Railroad Wings
10%
I Don't Ever Give Up
7%
Other
13%

Total votes : 30

Patty's Most Underrated Song

Postby MWM » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:42 pm

I thought it might be interesting to see the consensus. I tried to pick songs that most people seem to dislike or are indifferent to. It's always surprising the range of tastes among people who like the same artist, but with an artist whose range is as diverse as Patty's, there's bound to be some dissenting opinions.

I'm voting for "Mother of God," because I feel like it's quite underappreciated, and it's in my top 5 Patty songs of all time. Along with "Top of the World," it's my favorite song on Impossible Dream. I was tempted to go with "Peter Pan" though. I'll never understand why people would dislike that song.

P.S. I'm only including the six commercially available albums and only the songs that Patty wrote herself.
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Kelsea » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:26 am

Interesting indeed... I selected other and my choice would be Rowing Song. I think Rowing Song is often times overlooked/ dismissed, especially amongst the other ID songs, but it's in my top four of all time. I think you chose good songs for the task and if I had to pick out of that list, the least appreciated, I’d say Peter Pan (second goes to You'll Remember).
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby MWM » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:33 am

I had several more songs up there and "Rowing Song," was one, but it kept telling me I had too many options so I slowly had to pick and choose, one by one. But yeah, I think "Rowing Song," is quite underrated as well.
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby notalone » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:33 am

Of course I pick "Not Alone", but there are 3 songs from my favorite album "Flaming Red".
I can't see how anyone could dislike any of those songs. I mean I know a guy who doesn't care for Patty's cover of "Stolen Car". What's up with that? :wink:
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sandina » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:28 am

Wow, it was hard for me to pick from this list since I love so many of them. I ended picking Railroad Wings due to my current love affair with it.

Another one I don't hear about often from other PattyFans is Sooner or Later. I think that song is stellar.
sandina
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby elcorazon » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:24 am

"Go Now" strikes me as one that gets no love generally. I voted for "Cold As It Gets" because when she performed that the last time I saw her it was clearly one of the standout songs of the evening.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:43 am

I remember people gushing over Mother of God, but maybe it was only one person posting a lot! I think everyone knows that my vote goes to Florida, which to me is perhaps the lonliest song I've ever heard. I also love Cold As It Gets.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby MWM » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:36 am

I had "Go Now" and "Florida" on the list as well before I had to condense it. As for picking "Mother of God" to be included, I feel like in general, Patty's piano songs are generally not quite as liked (except for "Burgundy Shoes"), and "Mother of God," I hardly ever see anyone mention. Plus she never plays it live anymore, and I would really love to hear it sometime.
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby gillian » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:39 am

I can allow polls to have more options. There's some setting for the max number of choices. I'll make it bigger and then you all can poll away to your heart's content.

I voted for Mother of God... what a beautiful song, and with the added ending on Impossible Dream... when I saw her perform that live for the first time I think I didn't breathe until it was over.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby karla » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:22 pm

I had to pick Railroad Wings because I love it so much and it doesn't get mentioned much (in a positive way). It was a virtual tie with Not Alone. I think Patty is generally underrated anyway, and many of her songs get lost in the vast greatness of Patty. So many great songs!!

And about Peter Pan: I would like it if not for the chirping bird sounds, which drive me crazy and prevent me from focusing on the rest of the song.
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Kelsea » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:57 pm

I was always under the impression that Not Alone and especially Florida, were among the favorites or at least most respected songs. Florida is perfect IMO, in my top three.
And about Peter Pan: I would like it if not for the chirping bird sounds...
I feel the same way, I like the version on AKIT much better. I'm the same way with most of the Flaming Red songs that are featured on AKIT actually.
Last edited by Kelsea on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RightOverThisMess » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:33 pm

Mother of God. It's my favorite Patty song.
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:37 am

Not Alone is an incredible song. I didn'T realize it was underrated, though. Runner Up for me is "Cold As It Gets." I just love playing this one on guitar.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:49 am

I vote for Little God. I think it's a totally killer song, and if I recall, you yahoos shot it down pretty early during Silver Bell Survivor. ;) If I ever see Patty perform it live, I will wet my pants [and no old jokes, please].
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:57 am

keith from ny wrote:I vote for Little God. I think it's a totally killer song, and if I recall, you yahoos shot it down pretty early during Silver Bell Survivor. ;) If I ever see Patty perform it live, I will wet my pants [and no old jokes, please].

nice call. great great song. maybe my favorite from Silver Bell... then again, One More Girl is probably my favorite on there... or Top of the World... or Truth #2...
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Next

Return to Songs & Music