CRT-Survivor---the Tonto edition

Discuss specific songs or Patty's music in general.

Moderator: gillian

CRT-Survivor---the Tonto edition

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:35 am

OK it's not really another Survivor, but ramblings based on comments in the official thread.
I don't really like "Stay on the Ride" as a song (so I'm slightly tempted to vote against it), but I think it works well in the context of the album----to cleanse the palette or something???
Many of my fave songs from CRT are rather similar---"Burgundy Shoes" & "Someone Else's Tomorrows" for instance---so a CD of those songs (with "Free" added) would kinda be monotonous.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:37 am

But I still vote Keith off the island---his Tiki hut office is messy.
And his shirts are too psychedelic.
And he sings "98.6" over and over and over........................ :wink:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kris » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:53 pm

I guess, the way you're putting it, it comes down to your listening habits. I hardly ever actually listen to an album as is, except when I first get it. My iPod is on shuffle and I listen to the whole artist's catalog mixed together. Even when I listen to an album itself, it's still usually on shuffle. I know if defeats the work put behind song selection and order, but that's how I roll. So in that case, I don't really keep songs that I'm not crazy about on my iPod because they take up space and I don't need anything to help with the flow of the album.
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:36 pm

I use shuffle pretty often myself, but IMO all of Patty's albums flow extremely well (the last two in particular) and I almost always listen to them start to finish. And I really think my least favorite Patty song of all time is better than 75% of the music I have on my iPod, and I have great taste in music if I say so myself! (except for that Nelly McKay album I kinda liked at first, what the hell was I thinking??)

So if I can't even vote my least favorite Patty song off my iPod, I clearly have no place in the Survivor threads. Unfortunately my morbid curiosity prevents me from not reading them, and I pretty much hate all of you now! ;)
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:42 pm

I always listen to Patty's albums in order, although I will often skip songs and repeat my favorites, etc. But I never really listen to her entire catalog on shuffle.

I've been shocked how low on people's favorites list SotR has been. It's one of my favorite of all time... and Heavenly Day is truly heavenly to me. Add Up to the Mountain and you have my top 3 off Children Running Through.

This Survivor game is really a trip.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby sfboy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:24 pm

This is EXACTLY why I'm doing this Survivor thing. It's soooo interesting. Stay on the Ride, Up to the Mountain, and Heavenly Day are my three least favorite songs on CRT! Isn't that funny? And yet, here we are, one big (usually) happy Patty family...

But it bears repeating, that I like my least favorite Patty songs more than I like a lot of other music.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Well, now this looks like a good topic for me to make my first post on this forum, particularly as I return from the stress of a precinct caucus.

First off, while I thank Marybeth for telling me about this site, once I got here, I was aghast to learn that You'll Remember and Railroad Wings had already been voted off the CRT island and that SOTR was close to being next. After all, SOTR is the song that got my attention enough to check out Patty's music and to get CRT. When I got CRT, I thought the combo of You'll Remember and SOTR made one of the best opening combos for an album I've ever heard, and I still think that. Realizing that those two songs may get an early exit makes me want to, well, grab another beer.

Which brings me to the second point. I enjoy shuffling music just for the thrill of not knowing what to expect next (that really helps when I exercise), but it's an album or a well-placed sequence of three or more songs on an album that really excites me. I suppose that's what happens when you grow up with Sgt. Pepper's, the Moody Blues, and general AOR radio play (which I don't think exists anymore). It seems these days that not a whole lot of thought goes into albums, but that doesn't seem to be true of Patty's albums, at least not the last three. That's why I think that while You'll Remember may not be all that interesting to some as a stand alone song, as part of the album, it's indispensable - it works as a really nice prologue to set the album up. In fact, if I were to put together what I felt was the best possible album of Patty songs, it would begin with You'll Remember and SOTR and end with the Reprise from 1,000 Kisses.

That said, I suppose I'll just have to tolerate the stabs to the heart as each of the children of the first Patty album I ever heard gets dumped. Of course, I don't have to follow these survivor series, but it's too fun not to.
Last edited by Russell on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby notalone » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:51 am

Welcome aboard Russell.
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby flamingred09 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:12 am

Hey Russell! Welcome to the site!

Jess
I could land with the rest of all the broken down birds, thats where I find my way home
flamingred09
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 am

Chalk another good 'un up for moi. Ain't he nice? :wink: Glad you made it here Russell!

As for the song order issue, I am at this very moment agonizing over the order of my songs for my album. I find it extremely important, it can totally change the way you feel about a song. Which is why, in the end, I find the Survivor game a little silly, but what the heck, I like to play anyway.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:05 am

Welcome to PattyNet, Russell!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:19 am

Thanks for the welcomes - and I do look forward to finding out which song is the ultimate survivor. I can handle it, I think.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby ScottG » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Shuffling is sacrilege!!

Let my iPod decide what comes after Taxman?
What about the Abbey Road medley for criminy's sake?
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:56 pm

Good point, Scott.

I tend to agree, but if I'm out running and the expected Eleanor Rigby follows Taxman, I'm running to the nearest wine bar and calling it a day. I need a jolt to keep me going, which means I need my iPod to shock me with something like U2's Vertigo, the B-52's Love Shack, or maybe even Wiggley Fingers following Taxman. (I'm glad you mentioned Taxman -- I love that song)

But there are some sequences that simply can't be split for any reason and the entirety of "Side 2" of Abbey Road (Here Comes the Sun through The End) is one of those sequences. For those sequences, I simply use an editor to combine all songs in the sequence so that my iPod thinks it's one track.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:45 pm

keith from ny wrote:...I clearly have no place in the Survivor threads. Unfortunately my morbid curiosity prevents me from not reading them, and I pretty much hate all of you now! ;)

Agreed, Keith. I am often amazed by how strong my reactions are when reading these Survivor games. I doubt I'd ever participate due to the surety of my comments getting me immediately banned from this board for all of infinity. If you people only knew some of the things I have said to myself as I read your comments. The last time this happened was within the last 5 minutes.

Be informed that as I type those sickly snobby words, I am listening to "Hot Rod Hearts" by Robbie Dupree. So much for impeccable taste. OK, Sandi just made me stop playing it OVER AND OVER so I switched to "Steal Away".

Instead, I just read with morbid curiosity and keep my horrid comments to myself, a la Mr. Psychedelic Shirt.

Speaking of not participating... I still occasionaly read my never-submitted post from the "Unpopular Musical Opinions" thread from a couple years ago when I need a good laugh. I'd still rank it with my favorite written output ever.

Also, although I disagree with TTMFG's comments about shuffling being sacrilege, I do think there are some instances where songs should not be split up for whatever reason. This may lead to a "Song Pairs That Should Never Be Broken" thread...

Regardless, if you want to argue with TTMFG you have to get through me first. Not because of any protective impulse of mine, but rather because I am between him and the door as we sit in the next room, gooey with brownie crumbs and grooving to Cymande.

New PC running and a Friday night to relax and jam through - life is good.

Don't worry, you fuckers rule and I heart y'all. Even Gillilintheranium...

Let There Be LOVE (and odd opinions),

Timski
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Songs & Music