Coming Home To Me

Discuss specific songs or Patty's music in general.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Russell » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:39 am

MWM wrote:When you're washing the sheets
And each stranger you meet

I think these two lines go together with the second one being "Any stranger you meet". Something like "When you [do something to/with] any stranger you meet" with the combination being a deeply felt event.

As I've mentioned privately to others, I believe the song is about what has been called the Sacred Romance:

If we will listen, a Sacred Romance calls to us through our heart every moment of our lives. It whispers to us on the wind, invites us through the laughter of good friends, reaches out to us through the touch of someone we love. We’ve heard it in our favorite music, sensed it at the birth of our first child, been drawn to it while watching the shimmer of a sunset on the ocean. The Romance is even present in times of great personal suffering: the illness of a child, the loss of a marriage, the death of a friend. Something calls to us through experiences like these and rouses an inconsolable longing deep within our heart . . ..

This longing is the most powerful part of any human personality. It fuels our search for meaning, for wholeness, for a sense of being truly alive. However we may describe this deep desire, it is the most important thing about us, our heart of hearts, the passion of our life. And the voice that calls to us in this place is none other than the voice of [la, la, la, la . . .]

Fill in whatever you want for the la, la, las (even heathens can do that), but it's probably going to be the same as the voice that "calls above the howling wind" in "Little Fire". No matter what, songs of longing are what Patty does better than anyone else, and I think that "Coming Home to Me" is one of those songs. Unlike her prior songs, though, "Coming Home to Me" and "Little Fire" seem to be express a better understanding or appreciation for the longing as representing part of a coming home - stated another way, there is comfort.

Which leads me to wonder if this "home" is related to that in "Free",:

And it's hard to be free
See some things that I see
Be some things that I be
And come all the way, all the way, all the way home again

Particularly since "Coming Home to Me" clearly includes:

When you get there you'll know
That's as far as you go
When you get there you'll see
You were already free

Just sayin'.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Kelsea » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 pm

I think it’s interesting you have zoned in on that Russ. Free is one of my favorite songs and I can relate very easily to it. I don’t personally see or feel the connection, but with Patty I suppose anything is possible. It’s cool that you feel the relation though, seems you've given it a lot of thought.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:10 am

Kelsea wrote:I don’t personally see or feel the connection

I'm guessing that the author of the songs wouldn't see the connection either, but, hey, I like to play with these things.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:39 am

Sad to report that the CD will not be accompanied with any lyrics, which means we will have to continue our effort on "Coming Home To Me".
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Browncoat » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:33 am

Oh, that's really disappointing. Any word on when the new official site will launch? Maybe that will include some lyrics...
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:11 pm

I hate it when they don't include lyrics :( That's really a shame. Why do artists do that? Is it cheaper? I've bought many CDs that have extensive "books" (What do you call the paper stapled pages that come in CDs?) without lyrics, so it doesn't make sense that cost would come into it.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:14 am

I can't believe they would do it to save on the booklet...they can't be that cheap!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Klary » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:42 pm

This song makes me cry.

It's also one of the most comforting and profound songs I've ever heard and I think it's currently my all time favorite Patty song...

It seems like it's the presence (God, the ´something´, whatever you want to call it) itself singing to you and telling you about how cyclic life and all its experiences is.

The ´dancing with no one around´line made me think of Top of the World: everyone is singing we just want to be heard.. but when we´re not heard, and not seen, we can still come home to whatever it is we believe in.

It´s beautiful.
Last edited by Klary on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
How the little dreams we dream
are all we can really do
Klary
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Great post, Klary!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Klary » Mon May 03, 2010 6:55 am

MWM wrote:When you get to that place
That's just under the stars
Hanging over the tree, island over the sea (???)
When you get there you'll know
That's as far as you go
When you get there you'll see
You were already free
When you get there you'll la la la la la

I adore this song and it's been driving me nuts that on the cd, I could not make out that one line. But after listening to this youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDqED72ibWo&NR=1
I think I've got it:
When you get to that place that's just under the stars
Hanging over the tree at a quarter to three
when you get there you'll know that's as far as you'll go

Not sure what it means, though. Anyone?
How the little dreams we dream
are all we can really do
Klary
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Previous