Coming Home To Me

Discuss specific songs or Patty's music in general.

Moderator: gillian

Postby TontoBronto » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 am

Turk wrote:
Kelsea wrote:It’s a world full of bar rooms and alleys
Of blue nights and red river valleys
When you feel life is sure (?) at a time or like dirt (?)/ like a shirt and tie or like dirt (not likely)
Or a light and no one can see

My brother is hearing shirt and tie but unsure about the "dirt" part.

It certainly DOES seem like she's singing "dirt".
What if it's
"When you feel like a [*****]
And it's time for that dirt
Or a light that no one can see"

Trying to figure out the meaning of the song, on a gospel album, is "home" salvation or a similar concept?
If that's the case, the dirt/ light choice is between death (burial in dirt) and eternal life?
(maybe not eternal life in strict Christian sense, but some kind of hope/ nirvana?---Go towards the light, Buddy....
Or maybe "dirt" is just the mundane world while the light is something spiritual.

I hear "shirt" also, but I can't make any sense out of "When you feel like a shirt" :? But it DOES rhyme with "dirt".
Last edited by TontoBronto on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:40 am

Okay, that line is driving me nutso.
Here's another stretch.

How about instead of shirt and tie, there's a theme of "and you feel like surf and a tide...somethingsomethingsomething...." ?
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Little_Kites » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:23 pm

Turk wrote:Okay, that line is driving me nutso.
Here's another stretch.

How about instead of shirt and tie, there's a theme of "and you feel like surf and a tide...somethingsomethingsomething...." ?

I think your right with the surf and tide part, Turk. It fits with the song like she is saying that sometimes things are good and sometimes things are bad. Like with the tides sometimes there is a high tide and a low tide, you know what I mean??

Don't know about the part after that I hear dirt but I don't know what she is saying after that like dirt and limes hahaha :P like dirt and lies?? like turtles and lions?? :lol: I dunno?? Is that so far fetched because lions are supposedly the "king of the jungle" and turtles are I dunno I'll have to come back to that...Actually I think it could be turtles and lions I know it might sound far fetched though..

As for the lalalala's at first I thought they sounded like Mary mostly because there are two of them lalalalaing as Emmylou and Patty did in Mary. But I'd say its a combination of the lalalas from both Mary and Florida. To me and maybe I'm wrong the lalalas from Mary seem a bit more hopeful and upbeat and the lalalas from Florida seem a bit more depressing and final. And I think that would fit in with this song...
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Russell » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Hmmm. Surf, tide, "Florida", "Free"?

Anyway, it's:

When you feel like a shirt and a tie
Or like dirt or a light no one can see
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Russell wrote:Hmmm. Surf, tide, "Florida", "Free"?

Anyway, it's:

It seems that you either have a great ear or have the lyrics. Think you could maybe help us out with them? This circle game may not end otherwise.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:38 pm

Turk wrote:
Russell wrote:Hmmm. Surf, tide, "Florida", "Free"?

Anyway, it's:

It seems that you either have a great ear or have the lyrics. Think you could maybe help us out with them? This circle game may not end otherwise.

I have neither. My ear is so bad that I have to wait on suggestions from others just to get started, then I work with where Patty seems to be going with the song to find the thing that makes sense.. For that, I rely a lot on some of her earlier songs because there has been something of a progression not only in her songwriting, but in her choice of what to include on her albums. I restructured the front page of PattyCentral with that progression in mind, so there's a reason "Free" (which has been my favorite Patty song from the first time I heard it) is the last song on the most recent of the series of "Featured Recordings". You may recall that when Tift Merritt asked what listeners could learn about her from her music, her answer was "seeker". Add that to Patty's comment in the DC church publicity release: "A lot of people think this is too basic to think, too bleeding heart liberal to think, but we’re all looking for the same stuff". Which leads to the lines:

You're coming home to me

Translation:

When you're feeling really good
Or when you're feeling really bad or sad
(basically, when you're actually experiencing life)
That's when you're coming home to me

Home? Perhaps it's what Patty thinks is the "same stuff" we're all looking for. As far as what that "stuff" actually is, it's a mystery, or as mystics say, the mystery.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Russell wrote:When you feel like a shirt and a tie
You're coming home to me

Translation:

Home? Perhaps it's what Patty thinks is the "same stuff" we're all looking for. As far as what that "stuff" actually is, it's a mystery, or as mystics say, the mystery.

Nice.

So, coming home to me is actually experiencing experience--or God?
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Turk wrote:
Russell wrote:When you feel like a shirt and a tie
You're coming home to me

Translation:

Nice.

So, coming home to me is actually experiencing experience--or God?

OK, since you ask, the following is from here:

As with any religion, there are two types found within Christianity. The first is the tribal member. He or she favors a literal, concrete reading of Christianity, asserting that God is a judge with a rule book. Those who don’t play for “our team” are damned to eternity, and it can be our job to help them along the way to that end.

The second person is concerned not with knowing the rules and dogma, but with knowing the Mystery itself, which is to say living from within the experience of that Mystery. This is the search for and experience of that connection to and affirmation of God’s Presence on an ongoing basis. Here, the ideal is to live life from the very center of the Mystery, and to manifest into this world God’s compassion, love and mercy. It is to this group that Jesus of Nazareth belonged, and it is why, beneath the centuries of overlays in the name of scripture and tradition, we can still find at the heart Jesus to be of such central importance to our particular spiritual path.

God is not limited to our own prejudices, hatred, fear and projections. In fact, those very things keep us from experiencing the Mystery, as we are to celebrate God wherever that Presence may be glimpsed.*

For a number of us, the clearest window on God is Jesus of Nazareth, which is why we are based in Christianity. The symbols and language of Christianity is such a part of our tradition, that they form the basis for our path. To be a Christian mystic is an active life of faith — to meet what we might call “popular” Christianity with great faith, yes, but also great skepticism. The spirituality OF Jesus has become the religion ABOUT Jesus, and a Christian mystic seeks a return to the origins of what it was to hear Jesus and to move beyond Jesus, as he asked us to do, to that to which he was pointing with his stories, teachings, words and life.

I'll add that the mystics of the three great monotheistic religions have more in common with each other than they have with their tribal counterparts. If, however, a mystic is raised in the tradition of one of those religions, that mystic will find the most comfort in the mysticism of that tradition. Patty, of course, is at least reasonably well-versed in Islamic Mysticism by virtue of her enjoyment of Rumi, but she grew up in the Christian tradition and it's in that tradition that she most likely can find her home. To some extent, this is all more than I intended to get into here, but, at the same time, it may help to appreciate the significance of Downtown Church and perhaps to enjoy the album, and in particular "Little Fire" and "You're Coming Home" even more than you might otherwise.

In addition, I'll add this quote from an article on Silver Bell that I've emphasized in the PC post on that album:

“Silver Bell . . . revealed an evolution in her personal development. The songs on Living With Ghosts had shown open wounds from her broken marriage. Those were still evident on Flaming Red, but they were healing with time and perspective, and the girl was bursting to discover a new life . . .. On Silver Bell, however, she subtly shifted her focus beyond herself, even to social commentary and thoughts of a higher power.”

*This is why I got so excited when I noticed the inclusion of "All Creatures" (which was written by the mystic St. Francis of Assisi) on DC
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:37 pm

Whoops. I guess I stopped this thread in its tracks. Sorry about that. It's a topic that I'm passionate about (as I suppose is apparent now) and sometimes I get going and can't stop. :oops:
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:37 am

Russell wrote:Whoops. I guess I stopped this thread in its tracks. Sorry about that. It's a topic that I'm passionate about (as I suppose is apparent now) and sometimes I get going and can't stop. :oops:

Ha. You didn't stop anything as much as we just tapered off---I think.

It's interesting that you can relate to the subject or themes in such a manner. It also seems to me that you've been listening to Patty's music with a "Downtown Church" kind of appreciation, or energy, long before she recorded this record. However you connect to it is fine and dandy. And whatever you receive from it is even better. Just keeps the PattyVibe continuing as she keeps creating and people keep listening---no matter the genre she attempts.

Hope that makes sense. :D
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby MWM » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:32 pm

For me, this is by far the best song on the record. The melody and vocals are absolutely beautiful and Julie's harmony adds so much to the buildup of the song. I see it as a pretty straightforward song about dying and going home to "God," who or whatever that may be for you, after the trials in your life are over, with Patty singing from the perspective of God. The "la la la" part seems particularly effective in that it cuts off a line that presumably was going to say what exactly we will do when we get to "that place that's just under the stars," when the truth is none of us know and thus song gives no answer. When you listen through headphones, most of the lyrics are pretty easy to make out, and I think I have them down, although during the bridge, the overlapping vocals make one line particularly difficult to hear and I don't think I have it quite right:

Anytime you say it with heart
Anytime you're falling apart
When you're washing the sheets
And each stranger you meet
When there's somebody waving goodbye
You're coming home to me
Just remember
You're coming home to me

It's a world full of barrooms and alleys
Of blue nights and red river valleys
Or like dirt
Or a light that no one can see
You're coming home to me
Just remember
You're coming home to me

When you get to that place
That's just under the stars
Hanging over the tree, island over the sea (???)
When you get there you'll know
That's as far as you go
When you get there you'll see
You were already free
When you get there you'll la la la la la

When you're lost and you're found
Then you're found and you're lost
When you're dancing with no one around
You're coming home to me
Just remember
You're coming home to me

I also have chords:

Any(C)time you say it with (F)heart
Any(C)time you're falling a(F)part
When you're (F)washing the (G)sheets
And each (Am)stranger you (F)meet
When there's (C)somebody (G)waving good(Am)bye
(F)You're coming (G)home to (C)me, just re(F)member
(F)You're coming (G)home to (C)me

Then for the bridge:

When you (F)get to that place that's just (C)under the stars
Hanging (Dm)over the tree, island (F)over the (G)sea
When you (F)get there you'll know, that's as (C)far as you go
When you (Dm)get there, you'll see you were (F)already free
When you (Dm)get there you'll la la la (F)la la
La la (G)la, la la (Am)la la la (F)la
La la (C)la la la (G)la la la (Am)
(F) (G) (C) (F) (F) (G) (C)
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Thank you, Matt!

Damn, it's good to see you.

I don't know about the others but I've listened several times, most with headphones, but couldn't understand some of the lyrics.

Yes, this is the best song on the record.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Turk wrote:Thank you, Matt!

Damn, it's good to see you.

I don't know about the others but I've listened several times, most with headphones, but couldn't understand some of the lyrics.

Yes, this is the best song on the record.

I agree that it's great to see Matt post again.

I also agree that I'm having more difficulty making out the lyrics than I usually do when I listen to Patty singing-- I'm not sure if it's because I often have the album jacket with printed lyrics in front of me when I first listen to one of Patty's albums, or have already heard most songs performed live by the time I first hear one of her albums. Or maybe it has something to do with hearing songs performed in a genre/style I'm not as familiar with....?
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Arlene wrote:I also agree that I'm having more difficulty making out the lyrics than I usually do when I listen to Patty singing-- I'm not sure if it's because I often have the album jacket with printed lyrics in front of me when I first listen to one of Patty's albums, or have already heard most songs performed live by the time I first hear one of her albums. Or maybe it has something to do with hearing songs performed in a genre/style I'm not as familiar with....?

Judging by the few who have helped on this thread, I would say that you are not alone in this being an especially tough song to understand (the lyrics) distinctly. While some, like Russell and Matt, have no problem. I got my older brother to listen to this song numerous times and he had a hard time---and he has always been my go-to lyrics-solver.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:09 am

Turk wrote:Judging by the few who have helped on this thread, I would say that you are not alone in this being an especially tough song to understand (the lyrics) distinctly.

I usually have an "Eureka!" moment when someone correctly identifies lyrics, and I'm not having it with many of the suggested lyrics.
Normally, if I've been singing along "Lost and asea" and someone says it's "washing the sheets", I suddenly realize Yeah, that's IT! But that's not the case here. Many of the suggestions seem possible, but I'm not convinced (even with my own suggestions).
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Songs & Music