American Kid

Discuss specific songs or Patty's music in general.

Moderator: gillian

American Kid

Postby elcorazon » Thu May 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Let's post thoughts on songs on the new album here. I received the cd yesterday and had heard most of it via various streams over the last week or two. I must say the album is already growing on me. At the moment, the lead track, "Go Whereever You Want to Go" is my favorite, but so many great songs. Another album with so much depth, variety and so different from previous releases. Another classic Patty album! Love to hear what others are thinking.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Re: American Kid

Postby Kelsea » Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 pm

I’m still trying to get my wits about me- it feels so strange hearing a “Patty Griffin” album after so long. Children Running Through really was a long time ago.

She has so many unreleased songs and there have been quite a few “batches” of songs that have surfaced in the last few years. I think her next release would have been completely different and dare I say a more “Patty” style, had her father not passed away. To me it does feel a lot different than anything else she’s done, a much different style, but a few older songs do remind me of this album.

Nothing feels out of place on this album; all of those songs belong together. It does feel very much so like the older wiser sister of Living With Ghosts. I fell in love with Go Wherever You Want To Go as soon as it surfaced online and I think it is one of her best written songs. The song that really stands out to me though is That Kind of Lonely. Even for Patty that is a ruthless song lol! I love that she kept the tone/embellishments/inflection similar to the live performances, instead of doing a safer album version. She sings it strong too. They flat out nailed Get Ready Marie- there better be a pub style beer in hand sing along at every show (Kevin you know what I’m talking about). I am really not a fan of Robert Plant and didn’t care for the backing vocals on any of those tracks, but I felt Ohio missed the boat especially  Regardless, it’s a true Patty Griffin Album. I was beyond bummed that Free didn’t make the cut, especially as it was inspired by her father. I think Free will end up being my Riding With the Amazons lol (talking about you again Kevin)
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Klary » Fri May 10, 2013 3:40 am

I've listened to it many times already and I love it. I agree that it feels like the grown-up sibling of Living with Ghosts, though I feel kinship of the songs on America Kid with lots of songs from other albums, too.
Don't let me die in Florida sounds like it could have been on Flaming Red, for instance.

Irish Boy reminds me of one of my favorite Patty songs, Mother of God.. and even has a line that feels like it's been taken from song, melody and all: ' went on their way' ('they went their way' on Irish Boy)

I love the cd as a whole, I think it tells a story.. I am still getting to know the individual songs. Go where ever you want to go is not my favorite so far.. I've been listening to That kind of lonely and Wild old dog a lot.

Mostly I'm really excited to go see her live in Manchester in July!
How the little dreams we dream
are all we can really do
Klary
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby elcorazon » Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 am

surprisingly, my least favorite at the moment is "Get Ready Marie". Seems like a b-side unreleased song she knocked out for fun more than a key piece of Patty's discography. Should have first appeared on the eventual disc of odds and ends that hopefully will come out some day.

I dig the Plant harmony songs, especially "Ohio", gorgeous song.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby saturdayboy » Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 am

my first reaction was that the songs were great, but overall not as coherent as her best stuff. that's changing the more i listen. i don't think there is a weak song on it. i didn't like "get ready marie" when i previously heard patty perform it, but the album version really works for me. "mom and dad's waltz" fits in as if it's one of hers. "highway song" is beautiful. period. "irish boy" seemed disjointed on the youtube videos, but the album version is awesome. i can see why she had a hard time recording that one. i think the sleeper of the album is "that kind of lonely", such a classic patty song the way it unfolds. i have the album on full court press-heavy rotation (home,car,work&ipod). so good to have new original stuff.
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Return to Songs & Music