Fairer "B&P" procedure?

News, updates, and information about PattyNet and the PattyForum

Moderator: gillian

Fairer "B&P" procedure?

Postby marybeth » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:51 am

This has been bothering me for some time, not on my own behalf, but on behalf of others like Penguin who selflessly send out endless copies of Silver Bell and LFML 1-3 to newbies who ask for them. Wouldn't it be fairer to have a system where people agree, in return for the copies they are sent, to then offer copies to other newbies? I realize that we strive to informally balance out who is supplying people with copies, but in practice it appears to me that the same three people are supplying the ever-growing Patty fan base.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:55 am

This is the only forum I frequent where B&P or one-for-one trading is the common practice. The Yahoo Gillian Welch group exclusively uses the "agree to reweed" procedure that marybeth suggests. I've always been a little uneasy with mailing blanks---just seems like a waste of money (I always titter with glee when I receive a package with uncancelled stamps that I can re-use :D ).

My first Patty discs though were obtained when I didn't have a CD burner, so B&P was the only option back then.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby libraryliz » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:16 am

I agree with both procedures. It all depends on the person making the copies, I guess.
I've never minded sending cds for a B&P or just giving away a few copies for nothing.
libraryliz
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby 62rvs » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:42 am

I have personally done away with the 'B&P'.

I just get the persons address and send them a bunch of CD's.
No trades...no nothin.

Musical Karma.

Makes me feel good.

But that's just me...I'm odd.

-SMit
"duck...duck...duck...duck...duck...duck...GOOSE!"
62rvs
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Nicoleee » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:10 am

I agree with Marybeth. I was very fortunate to be supplied with many many amazing Patty gifts from you PattyNetDreamboats. . . so I have already made and sent copies out to some new folks, it's the least I can do.

Thanks for all of your generosity!!

-Nicole
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:36 am

I didn't really mean B&P....does anyone actually bother with expecting postage and an envelope?

And I know there are some of you out there with big hearts. But I don't like it when people take advantage of that. Thus I think we should try to implement the tree rule if we can. Of course if it breaks down, one of us can jump in and supply them with something! I just don't like the idea that some people do all the giving and others all the taking. OK end of rant......

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby penguin » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:16 am

If people who receive B&P's from me wish to offer them to others, that's great, but I know a lot of people don't have the time or means to do so. For that reason, I'm happy to offer LFML/SB B&P's to everyone who asks.
I've got walls, I've got wings, I am ready for the fire
I've got trust in nothing, see, I lost it by and by
but I've got something shining somewhere
honey, I dream on the sly --Chris Pureka
PattyChat | AntjeDuvekot.net | ChrisPureka.net | MattMorrow.net | Trades
penguin
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:46 am

awww Matt you really do have a big heart!

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:52 am

62rvs wrote:I have personally done away with the 'B&P'.

I just get the persons address and send them a bunch of CD's.
No trades...no nothin.

Musical Karma.

Makes me feel good.

But that's just me...I'm odd.

-SMit

I pretty much agree with this.

I think the B & P made sense in the day when 50% or more of the listeners were incapable of making copies. Nowadays, non-burners are the exception, not the rule. Everyone has their own financial, time and other restraints on their ability to burn for others. I think trades are great when both sides want something the other has, but the shows generally seem to get weeded out in whatever manner the individuals deem appropriate. It seems to work out.

I know I don't have a ton of time to make discs, so I try not to take advantage of the kindness of the many patty fans around here too much, but when I do make copies for others, I don't expect anything in return, and mostly just want some appreciation/feedback on whatever it is I've sent.

I believe in musical karma. You're not weird SMit; you're cool; I just wish you'd quit voting out Little God, dammit. That's one of Patty's greatest songs ever.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:07 am

ok....I give up trying to protect people from something they like doing!

and meanwhile, how dare Smit vote off Little God? *goes to check out Silver Bell thread*

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to PattyNet Announcements and News