Tori Amos

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Tori Amos

Postby MWM » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:31 pm

There wasn't a Tori Amos thread here so I thought I'd start one and say that for those of you who are Tori fans, you can hear clips and read lyrics from the new album (which is coming out on February22) at the revamped http://www.toriamos.com . I've heard the CD and I'm very happy about it. I think it's her best one since From the Choirgirl Hotel, and her voice seems a lot more alive than it was during the Scarlet's Walk period. Maybe she's gotten some rest and feels renewed or something.

~Matt
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Mud on My Face » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:31 pm

FYI to Tori fans, the schedule for the first leg of her "Original Sinsuality" tour are up in the tour section of http://www.toriamos.com. I'll most likely be at SF and LA!!

Look out for The Beekeeper next week, everyone. I've heard it too and it's kinda awesome!

Ziad
Mud on My Face
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby disco_fred » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:35 am

I love Tori and have been a fan since I heard her sing "Icicle" on Jay Leno's show. I went out and got her first two CD's right after!

To this day, I still consider "Jackie's Strength" and "Winter" to be 2 of my all-time favorite songs. There are too many other songs of hers that I love to name, but some would be "Bliss", "Concertina", "China", "Precious Things", "Past the Mission", "Pretty Good Year", "Caught a Lite Sneeze", among others.
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby MWM » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:59 pm

You can listen to a stream of the album here, it appears:

http://music.msn.com/music/soundcheck

~Matt
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Mud on My Face » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:40 pm

Today I discovered the final song on The Beekeper, "Toast". Such a beautiful, bittersweet song......

The album is stylistically all over the map, which means there's something for everybody. Check it out!

Ziad
Mud on My Face
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Little_Kites » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:53 pm

I like Tori as well. I've always liked Little Earthquakes. That I discovered through hearing Silent all these Years on the radio. I think she writes some great lyrics (example: China).
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby TontoBronto » Sun May 08, 2005 5:32 am

Tori will be on Monday's "World Cafe"---
http://www.worldcafe.org/comingup.php

Looks like a pretty impressive week (Tori, Loudon Wainwright & John Prine have piqued my interest).
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:42 am

Tori will be the guest artist on Saturday's Today show. As usual, the singer will be relegated to the last 1/2 hour of the show.

BTW, Tori sports a new look, having shaved her head and getting humongous breast implants.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:59 am

Mud on My Face wrote:Look out for The Beekeeper next week, everyone. I've heard it too and it's kinda awesome!

BTW, Tori was on Carson Daly a little while ago. Carson chose to let one of his guests introduce her (I THINK the guy's name was "DJ Jazzy Big Dumb Rap Dude"). Confronted with the onerous task of actually READING words off a cue card, DJ Jazzy announced, "Here's a song off her new album 'The Beefkeeper' ".

Carson promptly zapped DJ Jazzy with a nearby Taser before he could do any more linguistic damage. Tori carried off her song admirably despite DJ's faux pas.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:24 am

Hmm, Carson Daly... was that the one with the big huge drip of drool, Matty?

(Tori did a whole lot of late night appearances when the album came out, performing Sleeps With Butterflies on almost all of them... the Carson showing this week was surely a repeat of one of them.)
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby TontoBronto » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:13 pm

Yes Gillian Tori DID emit a copious amount of salivary aquaescience!!Image
She did Orange Knickers!
Last edited by TontoBronto on Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:14 pm

Tonto Yoder wrote:
gillian wrote:Hmm, Carson Daly... was that the one with the big huge drip of drool, Matty?

Can't remember the other guests, but I've noticed you're doing a LOT of drooling lately???? Make sure you don't get dehydrated! :lol:

Lol... it wasn't me drooling this time. On one of Tori's appearances (I *think* the Carson Daly one), apparently Tori let loose a big stream of drool in the middle of the song. I didn't see it, but Matt did.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby TontoBronto » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:42 am

There's a big box set coming out--
http://everythingtori.com/go/coming_soo ... n-a-piano/
The link above says it's due next week.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby RightOverThisMess » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:18 pm

This will mark the first time in years that I'm not picking up a Tori release the second it hits the rack. Actually, I usually grab a copy out of the worker's hand before it's placed on the rack. :D I just don't have that kind of money right now.

To anyone who buys A Piano...: let me know what you think of Zero Point.
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:51 pm

I'm going to wait and buy it used. From the track listings, it seems like the vast majority of the cuts are not new or even all that rare ( a lot of B-sides from singles, etc.), and I wonder how different the different versions of the released songs really are. I want to get it, but definitely used. Like the previous email said, if you do get it and can give any info, it would be great.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)