Lucinda Williams

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Gerry » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:10 am

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Williams performing complete albums at fall shows
Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:28PM EDT
By Katie Hasty

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Lucinda Williams fans will soon have a chance to hear the songwriter perform five of her eight studio albums in their entirety, one night at a time.

On September 5-6 and 8-10, Williams headlines at the El Rey Theater in Los Angeles and will perform in New York September 29-30 at the Fillmore at Irving Plaza and October 2-4 at Town Hall.

The first night of each five-night run will kick off with a performance of 2003's "World Without Tears." "Essence" from 2001, "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" from 1998, "Sweet Old World" from 1990 and "Lucinda Williams" from 1988 will be played on subsequent nights.

The album-focused sets will be followed by a more traditional set from Williams and her band (guitarist Doug Pettibone, bassist David Sutton and drummer Butch Norton), including cuts from her most recent album, "West." Tickets for all shows go on sale Saturday (July 21).

"West" bowed at No. 14 on the Billboard 200 and topped the Tastemakers tally in March.

Reuters/Billboard

Irving Plaza isn't a fave of mine but I will certainly be trying to go to at least 2 Town Hall shows. Anyone else going? Keith, are you going to all five shows? =)
Gerry
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:19 am

Gerry wrote:The first night of each five-night run will kick off with a performance of 2003's "World Without Tears." "Essence" from 2001, "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" from 1998, "Sweet Old World" from 1990 and "Lucinda Williams" from 1988 will be played on subsequent nights.

Keith and I are attending the Town Hall show where she'll perform all the songs off of "Lucinda Williams" from 1988. I don't know if he's going to any of the other shows. I've NEVER heard her perform live some of the songs on that album, i.e., Like a Rose.

Hehehe. Can't wait. :D Hope you can join us.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:44 am

Arlene wrote:
Gerry wrote:The first night of each five-night run will kick off with a performance of 2003's "World Without Tears." "Essence" from 2001, "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" from 1998, "Sweet Old World" from 1990 and "Lucinda Williams" from 1988 will be played on subsequent nights.

Keith and I are attending the Town Hall show where she'll perform all the songs off of "Lucinda Williams" from 1988. I don't know if he's going to any of the other shows. I've NEVER heard her perform live some of the songs on that album, i.e., Like a Rose.

Hehehe. Can't wait. :D Hope you can join us.

Rhonda and I will also be at the Saturday Irving Plaza (WWT) show. :D
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Gerry » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:31 pm

I'll meet you all at Town Hall =)

I wonder what order she will sing her CD releases in?
Her web page says from 1988 to most recent CD but the Billboard article and others have her playing in order most recent CD to oldest. hmmmm

I got a ticket for October 3 & 4 in the louge section. Where did you all get seats?
Gerry
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby ScottG » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:12 pm

What a great idea. Maybe Patty will do the same thing someday.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:13 pm

Gerry wrote:I'll meet you all at Town Hall =)

I wonder what order she will sing her CD releases in?
Her web page says from 1988 to most recent CD but the Billboard article and others have her playing in order most recent CD to oldest. hmmmm

I got a ticket for October 3 & 4 in the louge section. Where did you all get seats?

Great! :D

You'll be hearing Sweet Old World and Lucinda Williams. Arlene and I are Orch Row G for 10/4. The Irving Plaza show is GA and Rhonda & I will be standing in our traditional positions right in front of the stage for World Without Tears. :D
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:53 am

Thought this was interesting news. (I wish other artists would do this):

Those attending Lucinda Williams' upcoming concerts in Los Angeles and New York will be able to purchase CD copies of each performance and leave with it that same evening.
Williams previously announced plans to perform five of her previously-released albums in their entirety, one album per night, in the two cities. She begins in Los Angeles in early September at the El Rey Theater before traveling to New York for two shows in late September at Irving Plaza and three additional concerts in early October at Town Hall. The albums she has chosen to perform include her self-titled project from 1988 and Sweet Old World, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, Essence and World Without Tears. The CDs will apparently be a limited edition, and no plans are underway to make the recordings available elsewhere. Williams' record label, Lost Highway, is not involved in the recording or distribution

Hey Keith and Gerry- We have to remember to bring some extra money!
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby notalone » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:55 pm

Arlene wrote:Thought this was interesting news. (I wish other artists would do this):
[b]

Hey Keith and Gerry- We have to remember to bring some extra money!

and then remember the unfortunate folks who couldn't attend :wink:
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:01 am

I finally got around to listening to West. I actually had demo versions of "Unsuffer Me", "Everything Has Changed", "Where is My Love" and "Rescue" and liked them quite a bit...now, it seems maybe I prefer them to some of the final versions. I think that the nine-minute symphony, "Wrap My Head Around That" is just plain awful, as is "Come On". One review I read said they thought the production was somehow cold and clinical, with her voice kind of not integrating into it....I guess she's trying to go new directions, but on some songs I kind of agree with that. Well, I'll keep listening!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:12 am

Hey y'all.

I'm really really interesed in getting any and/or all of those live CDs. I looked on the website and they aren't selling them. Would anyone be up for a trade? My list is at tapetrader.com/sfboy

I have lots of Patty, Indigo Girls, Counting Crows, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks and other Lucinda shows to trade. Please please please....I'm especially interested in the shows where she did her first 2 CDs (I know they're actually not her first CDs, but the first two non-blues CDs).

Thanks!!!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Hugues » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:50 am

I want to say that, so far, West is my favorite album of 2007. I have currently about 40 favorite albums of 2007, but number one's still West.
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:24 pm

Lucinda's 9/7/07 performance on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic: http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/m ... a_williams
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:32 am

The first few bars of "Are you Alright?" make me think of "Patty's Goodbye"....

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:10 am

Just as a last little comment on West (and then I'll be quiet!) I am really starting to like it, the things that bothered me on first listen are fading. I kind of feel like this woman could sing the phone book and I'd like it, so her corny words on some songs don't really both me that much! There's something oddly comforting about her scratchy voice.

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:00 am

You've got to get Sweet Old World.....and all the rest.
Sweet was my first real introduction to her...of course I have favorites from all of her albums but this would be my desert island pick.

I like "Broken Butterflies" but it has a totally different feel from the rest of Essence.
The title song is a personal loin burner.

I'm just digging into her catalogue of old stuff Turk and I love this album. I can't get enough!

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)