Teddy Thompson

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Teddy Thompson

Postby elcorazon » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:30 pm

just picked up his new cd, "Separate Ways" and I suspect he'd be loved by most around here. Great voice, good writer (still digesting the songs, frankly), beautiful record, impeccable pedigree. I highly recommend this disc. I haven't heard the debut, but I'm getting curious about it now.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby notalone » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:42 pm

I was kind of interested in this after I read about him in No Depression. Think I'll add him to my want list. Thanks for the recommendation.
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:35 am

Elco- I really like his eponymous debut-- (especially the hidden track, which is a duet with Emmylou Harris on the old Everly Brothers song, I Wonder If I Care As Much :D )

I haven't heard his new one yet, but am interested in doing so, also after reading the article on him in No Depression.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:46 am

the new one also has an Everly Bros hidden track (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant's "Take a Message to Mary" - gorgeous)
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby B Minus Time Traveler » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:54 am

I just bought Separate Ways this weekend. I heard a couple of his songs on the Brokeback Mountain soundtrack and loved his voice. And in the new Paste, "I Should Get Up" was included on this issue's CD. His voice is so clear and honest and earnest and his songwriting is a complete match. Love this CD, love Teddy Thompson.
"You know, I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. And then I laughed...really hard." - Jerri Blank
B Minus Time Traveler
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:54 am

"I Don't Want to Say Goodbye" from the Brokeback Mountain Soundtrack was my first exposure to Thompson's music. His latest album is Upfront & Down Low. It is beautiful, sad and well crafted in the way that classic country music records traditionally once were. You won't hear these songs on the faux country radio stations of today.
It is so refreshing and encouraging to hear a relatively young artist produce music with the soul of those who inspired him while creating a fresh nuance that actually improves the many classic renditions (all but one of the songs on the
collection are covers except for one of Thompson's self-penned tunes (Down Low). There are no electronic gadgets and frills, just a beautiful sort of solemn sense of fresh arrangements that seem innovative but have been part of the heart of "front porch" tradition of American music forever.

Those who have no tolerance for true country music needn't apply. For those of you who already appreciate it, this is a must-hear. Those who are into folkishness and want a feel of older country music from a younger perspective - and desire a shift from the slew of coffehouse soundalikes should sample this. I'm not knocking coffehouse players, that's where much of today's quality musicians hone their gift - if nothing else, this can help inspire. Thompson's voice is solid and true but never overpowers the pure, lush arrangements. His vocalization is simply a musical instrument that is part of the flowing mix. There are hints of Lyle Lovett, Elvis Presley, Chris Isaak, George Jones and others among this effort. Iris DeMent, Tift Merritt, Greg Leisz, Ted's father Richard Thompson and more lend their talents. My favorite song (for now) is "My Blue Tears" that Dolly Parton wrote, reinforcing the fact that she is one of the truly great writers of American roots music. Forget those radio songs - they just put food on the table.

From CMT:
Teddy Thompson wrote just one song for his new album, Upfront and Down Low, but it fits beautifully with a treasure chest of music from Dolly Parton, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Ernest Tubb, Kitty Wells, the Everly Brothers and others. The 30-year-old son of folk musicians Richard and Linda Thompson has carved out his own sturdy career in recent years as a promising singer-songwriter. Here, the London-born Thompson talks about the new album's humble origins, standing up for country music and why he loves sad songs.

CMT: Classic country songs can say so much in few words. Is that part of the appeal for you?
TEDDY THOMPSON: Yeah, that's what I was attracted to. I used to listen to country music when I was a kid and the early '50s rock 'n' roll music. It was the same kind of thing -- three-minute songs, clever turns of phrase and concise and witty, you know? All in under three minutes, which I thought was great. Chuck Berry was doing a similar thing in rock 'n' roll, but country music had it first, I think.

When you tackled these songs, did you have to sing a different way?
No, I didn't at all, really. That kind of helped me because I'm not really a country singer. I didn't try to sing in a country style. I just sang it like me. I definitely have country leanings and influences, but it probably made it less daunting to cover these songs because it was never going to be a direct country comparison. ... It started out just messing around. We cut all the tracks with only acoustic guitar, bass and drums, so there was no country music instrumentation at all when we cut them. Everything was totally empty and sparse. Then we started adding things afterwards. It was never a goal to make a country record. I would have come to Nashville if I wanted to make a really authentic-sounding country record.

Do you find yourself defending country music to people who say things like, "I love all kinds of music -- except country"?
Oh, you took the words right out of my mouth. That was actually quite a big part of the reason for making this record. I constantly find myself doing that. I've loved country music since I was 12. It's been my favorite kind of music since I was a little kid. You can imagine being a 12-year-old kid in London. Country music wasn't really a big thing on the playground. But even as an adult, I hear those exact words. You ask people what kind of music they like, and they say, "Oh, I like bits of everything except country music." It just drives me crazy! I think I should make a contribution to try to show people what real country music is. Or at least what real country songs are or what they used to be.

How did you discover the songs for this album that you didn't already know? Did you dig through the vinyl racks?
I started looking around. I spent probably a couple of months in between sessions. We did some recording, then we stopped for a while, then we went back and did some more. I had a couple of months where everywhere I went I was looking for country records. I downloaded some stuff and I bought some CDs and I bought some vinyl records. It was fun to have a project, to look for old country records everywhere I went and to find something that hadn't been
heard, or done to death.

There are so many George Jones songs you could have done. What was it about "She Thinks I Still Care" that made you choose it?
I have always loved that. I would say that's the most famous of all the songs -- and maybe the most well-known and the most-covered. George Jones was sort of the starting point, and he's probably my favorite male country singer. I couldn't get away from it. I thought, "Maybe I should do a lesser-known song." I kind of wanted to do "A Picture of Me Without You," but I think that would be uncoverable -- to me, anyway -- because his actual recording of that song is
such an incredible arrangement. I didn't want to go near that. This was a song I was desperate to do. I thought, "I don't care. Everybody's done it. I'm going to do it, too."

Do you like any happy country songs?
I do! (laughs) But not as much as I like the sad ones. I just like the sad songs better in every kind of music -- and country music especially. The thing that I love about country music is that it has sad songs, but they're almost funny. I mean, "(My Friends Are Gonna Be) Strangers" is a good example: "The only thing I can count on now is my fingers." It almost makes you laugh when you hear it, or it makes you smile, but it's not funny. It's kind of tragi-comedy. I don't know what it is. It's a country thing, which I love. I do definitely prefer the sad songs, and I find sad songs to be uplifting in a way. People do ask me, "Why do you always do the sad songs? They're so depressing." I don't feel that way. I love the sad songs. They make me feel good in a sad way.

www.teddythompson.com
http://www.myspace.com/teddythompsonmusic
Verve album review

Mp3 of She Thinks I Still Care.
(For 7 days only--click away the Comcast page that may appear after clicking the link)

Upfront and Low Down is worth every penny..and more. People like Teddy Thompson should be supported and I'm on my way out now to purchase his other records.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby notalone » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:10 pm

You easily convinced me. I love the kind of music Teddy talks about.

btw
Have you heard Caitlin Cary and Thad Cockrell "Begonias". It's that same type of music and one of my favorite cd's of the past 5 years. A must own for fans of this type of music.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby becmurr » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:05 pm

I saw Teddy Thompson open for Emmylou last year-he was very good but I did not know the music from Brokeback because I had not seen the movie. I bought this latest cd weeks ago & I love it....
becmurr
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Hugues » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:53 pm

I hadn't heard of Teddy until I listened to Linda's albums, to which he collaborated a lot (and co-wrote most of the songs). First time I heard him (on Fashionably Late) I thought it was Rufus Wainwright. No kidding. He's got a pretty fine voice. I then learned he was Richard and Linda's son! Tell me about bloody talent. :wink:

Haven't heard any of his solo albums yet, but would tend to start with his second one (since the third and latest is a collection of covers - nothing wrong about that of course, but I want to taste the songwriting of the man as well as his singing).
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:58 pm

Hugues wrote:Haven't heard any of his solo albums yet, but would tend to start with his second one (since the third and latest is a collection of covers - nothing wrong about that of course, but I want to taste the songwriting of the man as well as his singing).

Why not start with the eponymous first one?-- all of the songs are originals, except the hidden track (a beautiful duet with Emmylou Harris on the old Everly Brothers' song, "I Wonder If I Care Enough." ) It's a GREAT album.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Hugues » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:02 am

I read on AMG the second one was better again - but I will probably buy both if I like/love one or the other anyway. Thanks. 8)
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:16 am

notalone wrote:Have you heard Caitlin Cary and Thad Cockrell "Begonias". It's that same type of music and one of my favorite cd's of the past 5 years. A must own for fans of this type of music.

I hadn't heard this album before but just sampled it and it's on my list of must-haves.
Thank you.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby notalone » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:58 pm

I picked up "Upfront and Down Low" today and it's everything I hoped it would be. Thanks for the recommendation.

Favorite track is the one he wrote: "Down Low"
Trying to find the lyrics for it.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:09 am

notalone wrote:Favorite track is the one he wrote: "Down Low"
Trying to find the lyrics for it.

Down Low is my favorite cut as well. I have scanned the internet for the lyrics with no luck. There are 2 or 3 lines that I cannot quite make out. Not giving up though. Have you listened to the last hidden track?

Anyone interested in hearing Teddy's previous album Separate Ways can listen in it's entirety here.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:43 pm

elcorazon wrote:the new one also has an Everly Bros hidden track (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant's "Take a Message to Mary" - gorgeous)

Yes it is beautiful.
The album is great.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)