Jackson Browne

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Jackson Browne

Postby Turk » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:23 pm

Is there really no JB thread? I did a search and couldn't find one.
Travesty!

He has a new album coming out Sept. 23rd called Time The Conqueror.

Browne's first studio release of new material in six years. Recorded with his longtime band Kevin McCormick (bass), Mark Goldenberg (guitar), Mauricio "Fritz" Lewak (drums), and Jeff Young (keyboards and backing vocals), along with two "new" members, Chavonne Morris and Alethea Mills. Chavonne and Alethea were the lead singers in the "Fred Martin and The Levite Camp" project that Jackson was involved with back in 2006.

1. Time The Conqueror
2. Off Of Wonderland
3. The Drums Of War
4. The Arms Of Night
5. Where Were You
6. Going Down To Cuba
7. Giving That Heaven Away
8. Live Nude Cabaret
9. Just Say Yeah
10. Far From The Arms Of Hunger

The title song on YouTube
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Jackson Browne is one of my favorite artists ever. He writes these beautiful heartfelt narratives and has the same sort of insight into people's lives as Patty. Late for the Sky was the album that I listened to in a fetal position to get me through the very worst parts of adolescence. That line in "The Late Show" where he sings no one ever talks about their feelings, anyway / without dressing them in dreams and laughter / I guess it's just too painful otherwise... How fucking true is that? Damn.

I can't wait to hear new material from him.

now I'm craving "Something Fine,"
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:19 am

Elise-
Late for the Sky is a masterpiece. It's probably the first piece of music that revealed to me that God and spirituality both exist in music.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:26 am

I was just thinking that I was sad I have no Jackson Browne in my collection anymore. I only had him on vinyl....and I don't know where they are, I guess they belonged to someone else in my family. Time to get me some on CD.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:58 pm

What do you all think are Jackson's best CDs?

My faves are Late for the Sky, Jackson Browne, Running on Empty, and I'm Alive.

CDs I'm not terribly in love with: Looking East (though Barricades of Heaven is probably my favorite song of his, ever) and World in Motion.

Also, has anyone else listened to Kathleen Edwards' song Scared at Night and thought it was These Days? I swear that the first chord progression sounds just like it. Or am I crazy?

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:15 pm

I'd need to hear These Days again.....it's been a while.

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby cymru56 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:25 pm

http://coverlaydown.blogspot.com/2008/05/single-song-sunday-jackson-browne-nico.html

This is an interesting item about "These Days"

I note Glen Campbell also covers it on his latest album.
But words and music can never touch the beauty that Ive seen
Looking into you -- and thats true
cymru56
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby cymru56 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:35 pm

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=45

Jackson and David Lindley having fun together.
But words and music can never touch the beauty that Ive seen
Looking into you -- and thats true
cymru56
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Russell » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:29 pm

I just noticed this Jackson Browne thread while streaming the AMA show. Whenever I hear his name, two things jump at me and won't let go. One is Sean Penn's performance in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". The other is the "mating call" of "Lawyers In Love" and one of the greatest music videos ever (I wonder where my three-piece suits are these days):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BEULVyg1O_8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BEULVyg1O_8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 am

Turk wrote:Elise-
Late for the Sky is a masterpiece. It's probably the first piece of music that revealed to me that God and spirituality both exist in music.

Oh, and HOW. Every song is spiritual in the way that has very little to do with religion...that kind of humanist faith that life is worth living not in spite of its difficulties, but because of them, which requires a vast amount of hope and understanding. It's all over that record, from the title track to "Before the Deluge," and really it's all over Jackson's music in general. (And speaking of BtD, that's one of only a handful of songs chock-full of Biblical allusions that I relate to.)

One of the things I notice about most of the artists I love for long periods of time is that every time I go back to their music, I notice something different, or feel the same song in a completely new way. Jackson is timeless that way. Example: "Our Lady of the Well." At first I related to that song as if it were a love song...it has taken me this distance / and a woman's smile to learn / that my heart remains among them / and to them I must return. And then later (when I was less obsessed with my ex, haha) I saw it as a song about getting back to nature and the spirituality inherent in that...it's a long way that I have come / across the sand to find this peace among your people in the sun / where the families work the land as they have always done / oh it's so far the other way my country's gone. And now I see it as a song about being nostalgic for childhood...and always, it's so beautiful that it brings me to the verge of tears.

sfboy wrote:What do you all think are Jackson's best CDs?

My faves are Late for the Sky, Jackson Browne, Running on Empty, and I'm Alive.

I would agree with all of those, but I would add The Pretender to that list. "Linda Paloma"? "Your Bright Baby Blues"? Holy crap. The man is a lyrical genius.

~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:15 am

sfboy wrote:Also, has anyone else listened to Kathleen Edwards' song Scared at Night and thought it was These Days? I swear that the first chord progression sounds just like it. Or am I crazy?

The opening chord progression of "These Days" is a walkdown from C to A minor, which is pretty popular. Neko Case uses it in her cover of "In California"... Kris Delmhorst's "Broken White Line" uses it... so while I don't know that Kathleen Edwards song, it's reasonably likely that she would also use it.

~E

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:25 am

Interesting to know that Patty's singing has the same effect on Jackson Browne that it has on the rest of us. Apparently, he's a Patty Griffin fan. Here's an excerpt from an interview with him published on September 21, 2008:

Browne has written several of the most elegantly sorrowful songs of our times, often born of undiluted despair. In 1976, just as he was beginning work on what became his first multi-platinum album, The Pretender, his wife, Phyllis, committed suicide with an overdose of barbiturates, leaving Browne to raise his son, Ethan, little more than a year old. That album’s Sleep’s Dark and Silent Gate, and subsequent musings on personal loss such as In the Shape of a Heart, remain in his live set today. One wonders how he can bring himself to sing them.

“I tell you why it doesn’t present a problem, because it’s somehow reassuring to go back and encounter some sorrow,” he explains. “I’ve thought about it many times. Once it’s a song, it’s like a room in which things happen. You can go in there and lift objects up and examine them. Just by virtue of the fact that you can leave again, it’s somehow comforting to sing a sad song. Last night, I went to see Patty Griffin, who sang a song that really affected me, and everybody else. A sigh escaped as we began to put our hands together, and I started to look at the people next to me, who I’d just met, but I thought I might cry if I did. For some reason, you feel gratitude at being brought in touch with your emotions.”

For the whole article, see http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... c/article4 774931.ece
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:31 am

Arlene wrote:Interesting to know that Patty's singing has the same effect on Jackson Browne that it has on the rest of us.

Aw, everyone loves Patty. She's amazing.

I love that quote about how singing sad songs kind of compartmentalizes the feelings, and you can use it to reexamine the emotions without actually reliving them.

~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby outta » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:11 am

Excellent reading! Jackson Browne in amazing. I haven't heard "Lawyers in Love" in a long time. All the words came back as I was watching the utube. FUN!

That's very cool that he went to a Patty concert. Wish I had been sitting next to him!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:00 am

sfboy wrote:

Also, has anyone else listened to Kathleen Edwards' song Scared at Night and thought it was These Days? I swear that the first chord progression sounds just like it. Or am I crazy?

Kevin

I finally listened to "These Days". You're not crazy Kevin. The first lines are identical, not only from the chords, but the cadence.

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)