Slaid Cleaves

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Slaid Cleaves

Postby Russell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:25 am

Since Slaid has his first album of original songs in five years coming out next month, I thought I'd start a Slaid string. The album should be loaded with his usual string of upbeat songs, as evidenced by the album's title "Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away". As with all of his other albums, the album will be produced by Gurf Morlix. While waiting on the release, here's a video (obviously not shot by me) to enjoy from a Slaid concert I attended a few years back (great band - Jeff Plankenhorn, Ivan Brown, Gurf Morlix, and Rick Richards):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2hBhumIOLM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2hBhumIOLM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Wow, has it really been five years since Broke Down?

I like Slaid a lot -- I first encountered him at a very memorable all-day memorial/benefit concert for Champ Hood at Gruene Hall in 2002 (also my first exposure to Eliza Gilkyson and Fred Eaglesmith), and have seen him three times since here in NY, most recently in 2007 warming up for Guy Clark in my home town of Bay Shore. I love his voice and his dark sense of humor, and he does a great job with fellow Mainer Rod Picott's songs too.

Thanks for the tip Russell, another CD to put on my list!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:17 pm

keith from ny wrote:Wow, has it really been five years since Broke Down?

Actually, it's been 9 years since Broke Down. Wishbones came out in March 2004. He's not exactly prolific, but what he produces is quality. Rod Picot is credited as a co-writer on most of the songs on the new album.

It looks like he'll be up your way around mid-April.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:06 pm

keith from ny wrote:I like Slaid a lot -- and have seen him three times since here in NY, most recently in 2007 warming up for Guy Clark in my home town of Bay Shore.

That was a great concert and we had AMAZING seats. Thanks for inviting me, Keith. I'm also looking forward to Slaid's new CD
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby lily » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 pm

I've been listening to the new album a lot in the last month or so... and I kept hearing a backing vocal on "Green Mountains and Me" that sounds SO SO SO much like Patty - and while she's not technically listed (Trish Murphy is listed on the liner notes) it makes me wonder because there is a "thank you" to Patty on the liner notes as well, with no other mention of why.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Russell » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:02 pm

lily wrote:I've been listening to the new album a lot in the last month or so... and I kept hearing a backing vocal on "Green Mountains and Me" that sounds SO SO SO much like Patty - and while she's not technically listed (Trish Murphy is listed on the liner notes) it makes me wonder because there is a "thank you" to Patty on the liner notes as well, with no other mention of why.

Well, I guess that will have to be one of the 10 questions you'll have to ask when you interview Slaid.

In the meantime, just how is it that you've had an album for "the last month or so" that wasn't released until today???
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:30 pm

lily wrote:I've been listening to the new album a lot in the last month or so... and I kept hearing a backing vocal on "Green Mountains and Me" that sounds SO SO SO much like Patty - and while she's not technically listed (Trish Murphy is listed on the liner notes) it makes me wonder because there is a "thank you" to Patty on the liner notes as well, with no other mention of why.

Hmmmm. "Trish Murphy" also sings backing vocals on a couple of other songs on the album and the backing vocalist on those songs doesn't sound to me like Patty. Both Slaid and Patty are from Maine and now live in Austin and both know Gurf Morlix, who produced Slaids's new CD, so there may be a connection there. It's a mystery..... Anyway....

Keith and I saw Slaid perform last week with Eleanor Whitmore backing him on fiddle, mandolin and vocals. It was a really good concert-- part of the Rubin Museum's Naked Soul series of intimate acoustic singer-songwriter shows, which lack any amplification at all.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby lily » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Russell - I actually interviewed Slaid before I got the liner notes so I didn't know that Patty was thanked then...

And in answer to your other question, I'm just special like that ;) but in all reality I usually get albums a month or two in advance to have time to give them a good listen before reviewing them. It's one of the perks.
Last edited by lily on Mon May 04, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby lily » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:05 pm

And here's the link to the interview - http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/inter ... d-cleaves/

No word on the Patty connection yet though.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Russell » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:22 am

lily wrote:And here's the link to the interview - http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/inter ... d-cleaves/

No word on the Patty connection yet though.

Great interview, Nichole. Your best yet, IMO.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)