gillian Welch

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby TontoBronto » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:58 pm

Arlene wrote:...You've made my day!

Have you changed your moniker to "Dirty Harry Shyster"?
:wink:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gala002 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:37 am

That's a good news. It's been so long.
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:42 pm

But still no Gillian Welch album, right?
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gala002 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Marybeth...Don't you think it's the same? David playing with Gillian or Gillian playing with David? Following what I hear from them, the essence is Blue Grass anyways.
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:49 am

TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:20 am

gala002 wrote:Marybeth...Don't you think it's the same? David playing with Gillian or Gillian playing with David? Following what I hear from them, the essence is Blue Grass anyways.

It's not quite the same but it should be interesting. Rawlings' lead vocals are rather weak live, IMO, but his studio voice is noticeably stronger. I'm looking forward to hearing the finished product. The samples from Amazon are amazing. It's going to to be a great album.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gala002 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:58 pm

You're right Turk. I went to listen the samples on Amazon and I think too it's gonna be a good album with something different. Thanks for the link.
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:14 pm

Great interview with Gillian Welch and David Rawlings:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2009/ ... intpreview
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:15 am

A nice review from Uncut on Dave Rawlings new album. I haven't heard the album yet, but it does seem clear to me from the press that this is HIS solo effort, not just another name for a Gillian Welch album...

http://www.daverawlingsmachine.com/Rawlings.pdf
Last edited by marybeth on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gala002 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:51 am

You're right Marybeth. This time.....I was wrong. And it's totally different now. " Bravo" again and again.[/b]
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:05 am

So Denis, have you heard the album? Or anyone else?

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:49 pm

marybeth wrote:A nice review from Uncut on Dave Rawlings new album. I haven't heard the album yet, but it does seem clear to me from the press that this is HIS solo effort, not just another name for a Gillian Welch album...

http://www.daverawlingsmachine.com/Rawlings.pdf

Thanks for the link, MB. I will read it here shortly.
From another interview I read it sounds like Dave (and maybe Gillian) is treating this album as a follow-up. I'm sure there will be similarities as far as his guitar work and their harmonies. I haven't heard any cuts from the record yet. It will be released this Tuesday.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby lily » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:55 am

It's definitely a Dave CD, not just Gillian under another name, it's much more… well, it's got more stuff going on musically whereas Gil's stuff seems much more simplified, of course she's on it, but never really featured (except for Sweet Tooth, which I am in love with). It's a really, really great album though.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:27 pm

from an interview posted today with David Rawlings in Paste regarding Gillian's next record:

Paste: Can you tell me anything about an upcoming Gillian Welch record?

Rawlings: I can tell you that it is we’ve started recording some stuff, and that I’m excited about what we’ve recorded. Someone else just asked me when Gillian’s record will be released, and I think the answer is, on the happiest day of my life. I feel like we’re still looking for a couple songs to sort of make it what it needs to be. There’s certainly been over the years stuff recorded and tons of stuff written, but thankfully when I’ve gone back and heard some stuff from even a few years ago that we had worked on, I know that when we get it finished, we’ll be happy with it.
It’s all very mysterious how songs get written and why they get written and when they get written, but I know we’re sort of coming to the end of it now, and it will be soon.

Paste: Meaning the next couple months, the next year?

Rawlings: I think I’ll know a lot more within the next couple months. I think we want to finish the recording on it this year, and then I don’t know how long it will take before it gets released. There’s stuff in the studio that needs to be finished up, and there’s also a few songs that need to be finished, but I think that’s all going to sort of happen at the same time.

Paste: So we can expect a record early next year?

Rawlings: I think that’s as good a guess as any, but I’ve thought such things before [laughs].
We’ll expect the new Gillian record at the moment we’re like, “Oh my God, we have 10 songs!”

Paste: What does it sound like? Will there be any surprises?

Rawlings: How do I explain it? Right now, I think it’s going to have a sort of close-in feeling to it. I think it’s going to feel like more like a close-up than a panorama.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks for that encouraging bit o news, Arlene.

Method Acting / Cortez the Killer sounds like a song that would have fit on Revelator.

I really like Ruby, Method Acting / Cortez, and Bells of Harlem.

The rest would probably be more enjoyable to me in a live setting.

Hows About You's throwback to Ernest Tubb is great.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)