"the best flight story ever"

Talk about Patty to your heart's content.

Moderator: gillian

"the best flight story ever"

Postby Russell » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Very cute blog post titled "Me, Patty Griffin, and the best flight ever".
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Instead of saying anything to Patty ...she let her fly.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Kelsea » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Well played sir. Haha, that’s cute. I honestly don't know how I would have reacted in that situation. Bold move on the pic.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Little_Kites » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Very cute! And they were more courageous than I would have been! Maybe I'm wrong but for some reason I didn't think Patty got recognized that much?? If thats the case, I wonder when she does get recognized does it make it more or less awkward? Or is it not awkward at all and maybe she just goes with the flow sort of..

Nice picture too. But yes very bold indeed!
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:00 pm

Looking on from the cheap (plane) seats she should have asked for a pic with Patty at the end of the flight. Patty's not exactly disagreeable about things like that. The boldest move would have been to switch seats with her friend and see if anything happened. Small talk is an accepted part of flying and one never knows where it will lead. Although reading about her state of mind, I think she did the absolute correct thing. Just hope she doesn't kick herself down the road.

I was on a cross-country flight back to New York once and struck up a cross-country conversation with the woman sitting next to me. She was the wife of the Yankees' third-string catcher and she was on her way to the city for the World Series. She offered me tickets, but as a Mets fan, I told her I couldn't take them in good faith and that she should save them for a fan who wouldn't root against her husband. :lol:

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:09 am

Rob wrote:I was on a cross-country flight back to New York once and struck up a cross-country conversation with the woman sitting next to me. She was the wife of the Yankees' third-string catcher and she was on her way to the city for the World Series. She offered me tickets, but as a Mets fan, I told her I couldn't take them in good faith and that she should save them for a fan who wouldn't root against her husband. :lol:

Ummm-- Rob? If that ever happens to you again, TAKE the tix and offer them to a fan who would root for the Yanks. (You DO still have my phone number and e-mail address, don't you? :wink: )

P.S. I enjoyed that blog post by pattynet.net's newest member. Welcome!
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:27 am

Arlene wrote:I enjoyed that blog post by pattynet.net's newest member. Welcome!

Yes, welcome Brandy.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:05 pm

Arlene wrote:Ummm-- Rob? If that ever happens to you again, TAKE the tix and offer them to a fan who would root for the Yanks. (You DO still have my phone number and e-mail address, don't you? :wink: )

Sadly, counselor, it was before the 2003 World Series and I did not know at the time what a corporate/elitist taste you had in baseball. :wink:

The player, by the way, was Tim McIntosh. I looked him up after my post and then remembered he was a coach or scout at that time for the Yankees, not a player. His career with the Yankees was all of three games and three at-bats in 1996 (hence, third string). Wish I remembered the Steinbrenner stories she told me. They were beauts, I know that. :lol:

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby bncampbell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Hello! I am Brandy...of the infamous blog :)

I would just like to say, Patty, as lovely as she is, seems rather shy, and I was trying to grant her privacy. Plus, it was early. She was tired. I was tired. Napping was probably best for all involved.

And I honestly have no regrets. I only made a minimal idiot of myself, and she had a peaceful flight. And I have a great story to tell :)
bncampbell
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Turk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Welcome, Brandy.

Really enjoyed your story...and the photo!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:15 am

Welcome aboard Brandy! Thanks for sharing the story with us!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Brandy, you rock :) I know exactly how you feel. I once sat right next to Tracy Chapman at a restaurant (actually, she sat next to me, I was there first ;) ), but I didn't say anything. But if I had been on a fight, 2 seats from Patty, seriously, I would have had to switch seats. There is no way I would have been able to keep quiet and not ask her to sing for me :) So Brandy, I am in awe of your self restraint :)

Kevin

p.s. Patty flies coach...who knew? :)
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Redlucifer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Great story!

I think it's every true Patty fan's natural urge to want to talk to Patty and effuse about her unfathomable talent ...

I must admit, when Patty did her gig downunder in the Blue Mountains a few years back, I saw her hanging around both before and after the concert. Being a shy person myself, I was naturally reluctant to approach her. However, having read in numerous places of Patty's shyness, I was even more reluctant. Suffice to say, I well and truly missed my opportunity to say "g'day"! :oops:
Redlucifer
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Return to PattyTalk