silver bell to be released in September!

Find out all the latest about what Patty's up to, and where she can be seen and heard.

Moderator: gillian

Re: silver bell to be released in September!

Postby Kelsea » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 pm

I like the sentimental quality of releasing Silver Bell, but two of best tracks on it have already been released, so I'm glad there is at least one new song. I just noticed the cover and yeah, nothing about that says Patty to me. Not the type of art I would envision to represent the songs on Silver Bell at all, which is a bummer because I’ve always loved Patty’s cd art. Oh well, can’t predict Patty, but I’m happy about another album.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:39 am

Does anyone know why, after all this time, it is being released?

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby tornado » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:42 am

Last edited by tornado on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tornado
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby jmp31 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:57 am

I have a feeling that almost all the changes to Silver Bell referred to in this article - including the re-mixing and the choice of cover art - are Patty's choices. Could be, as she nears 50, she's thinking about her legacy. Perhaps she was not totally pleased with the first version and sees this new version as a chance to have it more to her own liking. As to the puzzling cover art, I'm wondering if it's some sort of an allusion to One More Girl (on the stage).
Jane
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby katajak » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:32 am

Hi all - long time no post, but I was checking in and saw this topic.

Is there any confirmation that Patty has anything to do with this? Though I believe she would make song royalties from its sales, my understanding was that A&M owned these particular recordings at the time of her departure from the label. Now that she's become much more popular and respected, Universal (which must have bought/inherited SB at some point since A&M folded) is trying to make a quick buck off of it. I remember Patty saying that for Impossible Dream they tried to replicate Standing as closely as possible to the original SB recording but couldn't so she had to buy it from them. Everything else from SB (Top of the World, Making Pies, Mother of God) was re-recorded with more appropriate or particular arrangements for the albums they ended up on.

A similar thing happened years ago when Aimee Mann was dropped from her label around 1999/2000. Shortly after this, Magnolia was released, she got an Oscar nom which rolled into her having a hit indie album (Bacholor No. 2) and the record company promptly cashed in on her popularity with studio recordings she left with them (maybe it was a greatest hits/rarities type of deal). Anyway, she actually requested her fans not purchase the record because she'd barely see a dime of it and she was actively working to release her own version.

I hope this isn't similar to what's happening with SB, but a lot of what I'm seeing (the cover art, the replacement song for Standing) makes me think Patty's involvement with this is minimal. I really hope she'll be receiving adequate compensation from its sale. Of course if anyone is more in the know, please feel free to add to this and/or correct me.
katajak
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Russell » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Been on a bit of a sabbatical from most things Patty for a while, but the mention of Silver Bell make my ears perk up.

According to Jim Murphy, Patty is very involved in the release. He was surprised by that. My impression from all I've heard and read is that she may have been the one that got the ball rolling, although she may have been given a bit of a push.

I recall that Patty bought the rights to the SB versions of Standing and Making Pies so that they could be included as is on Impossible Dream. So it makes sense not to include them on the release of SB. Patty intentionally made the ID version of Top of the World different from that on SB so that it was clearly different from the Dixie Chicks version, which tracked the SB version of Top of the World (with the exception of the ghostly ending on the SB version). And it is very different. Mother of God on ID is as different from that on SB, but still definitely noticeably. The endings are very different. So it makes sense to include them on the release of SB.

Interesting that Glyn Johns is doing the production, which I would think is more remixing than anything else. For those who don't know, among the albums this legendary Rock Hall of Fame Inductee has produced are such classics as "Who's Next" and "Who Are You" by The Who, "Slowhand" and "Backless" by Eric Clapton, and the first two Eagles albums. He even worked on the Beatles "Let if Be" album. He's been relatively inactive for some time. His brother was very much involved in several Led Zeppelin albums. And he's British. So if you're seriously wondering why this is happening now . . .

Personally, I think there are several tracks on SB that could use some work. Those tracks do not include Little God, Truth No. 2, Silver Bell and Driving.

BTW, in a recent interview, Patty mentioned she'd like to rework Flaming Red.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Kelsea » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:19 pm

I had assumed Glyn Johns came about through Robert Plant. I would be surprised at Patty seeking him out on her own otherwise or that Johns would have sought to work on Silver Bell. I just have to wonder why not Buddy Miller, Doug Lancio, Craig Ross, Jay Joyce or any of the other producers/ artists from her career or the scene she’s always run in (folk as a whole I suppose)? It feels like she is moving further and further away from that world these last few years.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby jmp31 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:54 am

I wouldn't say Patty's run away from that world. Of course, while she was taking a break from writing and performing her own music, and out of the road with Band of Joy, those guys were doing projects of their own, especially Buddy. But both Doug Lancio and Craig Ross were involved as musicians on American Kid: Doug plays on 8 tracks, Craig on 10. Also Craig was, for awhile, in Patty''s road band, and appeared with her on her NPR Tiny Desk Concert. Jay Joyce is producing an Amos Lee cd, with Patty performing on one of the tracks. Wonder if he is going to help her rework Flaming Red, which he produced.
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby jmp31 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Amazon's best seller rankings for Silver Bell, as of 28 September:
#30 in Music
#4 in Country Music
#23 in Rock Music
#29 in Pop Music
Not bad considering 8 October release date is 10 days away!
Jane
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby jmp31 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Billboard article about release of SB:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... usive-song
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Hmm, well, let's see. Patty is vacationing in Northern California. I live in Northern California. What do you think the chances are that I might run into her? :) :)

Also, Bella Donna by Stevie NIcks is one of my all time favorite CDs and Jimmy Iovine produced it. So I used to really like him. USED TO. What a total a*%hole.

And I would love to hear any other version of Flaming Red that Patty wants to be released :)

Thanks again Jane. You ROCK!!!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby jmp31 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 am

Please tell us ALL about Patty's concert coming up at HSB, you lucky Kevin.
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby elcorazon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:48 am

If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby saturdayboy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:44 pm

wow, awesome.
like it better than other version.
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby jmp31 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:56 am

jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Off the Presses